Which album Disappointed you the most?

Willow

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got into Rush as a teenager in the 90s, so I didn't get to hear any of the albums when they were originally released (except for Vapor Trails and Snakes & Arrows.) The most disappointing first listen, though, was Grace Under Pressure; I hated that album when I first heard it. Strangely, it's now grown to be one of my favorite Rush albums.

QUOTE (Spindrift82 @ Aug 10 2008, 05:28 PM)
I got into Rush as a teenager in the 90s, so I didn't get to hear any of the albums when they were originally released (except for Vapor Trails and Snakes & Arrows.) The most disappointing first listen, though, was Grace Under Pressure; I hated that album when I first heard it. Strangely, it's now grown to be one of my favorite Rush albums.

I felt the same about Presto at first. I felt betrayed, almost, and seriously considered using the CD as a frisbee. It spent a long time on the shelf, and one day I walked past someone's dorm room and overheard it on the stereo. This prompted me to give it another listen, and I do like the album now. Not in my top 5, but it gets in the rotation from time to time.

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Aug 10 2008, 07:32 PM)
QUOTE (Spindrift82 @ Aug 10 2008, 05:28 PM)

I felt the same about Presto at first. I felt betrayed, almost, and seriously considered using the CD as a frisbee. It spent a long time on the shelf, and one day I walked past someone's dorm room and overheard it on the stereo. This prompted me to give it another listen, and I do like the album now. Not in my top 5, but it gets in the rotation from time to time.

I might have felt the same way about Presto, but I knew from experience that a lot of Rush albums have to "grow on you." So I played it over and over in my walkman for a few months; it wasn't bad, and there were actually some very good songs on it. "Available Light" is still one of my favorite songs; that is without a doubt Geddy's best vocal performance ever.

As for the Grow on You Factor, that phenomena probably exists because they change their sound so much, you have to acquaint yourself with this "new" band almost every time out. It's taken me the past year to appreciate S&A; I hated it at first, but now I've found a handful of pretty good songs. (About half the album.)

QUOTE (ZivotSon @ Aug 9 2008, 11:43 AM)
For me it's COS.  Absolutely hate it.

Honorable mentions to Presto, Hold Your Fire and TFE.

For many, many years (over 20 actually), the only songs I liked on Caress were Bastille Day and Lakeside Park. I always thought those two songs were brilliant, but I just didn't get the rest of the album at all.

Three of four years ago, I suddenly appreciated and fell in love with The Fountain of Lamneth and now I think it rivals the side-long Hemispheres. I doubt I'll ever get into the other two songs though. The narration totally ruins The Necromancer for me, and I Think I'm Going Bald just sounds stupid to me - I just don't find it funny at all. Both of those songs I still find unlistenable, but at least I like over half the album.

All I'm saying is give Fountain another chance if you haven't heard it in awhile. If you don't like Bastille Day, and especially Lakeside Park, well, I can do nothing for you. tongue.gif

Definitely Roll the Bones and Test For Echo. I wasn't too crazy about Presto and Hold Your Fire either, but they have grown on me over time. T4E has also grown on me, but I still consider it one of their weaker albums.

I was pleasantly surprised with Vapor Trails, production issues aside. I was even more impressed with Snakes & Arrows.

For me its Presto. Presto is also the album, IMO, where "filler" songs were introduced. There are a few cool songs on each album, then the rest are filler. It has continued to this day. I like the majority of Rush's music and always will but on every record since Presto, it has been there.

I write music too so I know how hard it is to churn out music, let alone killer track after killer track, so their hit to miss ratio is still very good. Its not easy to keep that up but they have, just a few misses here and there since 90.

For me, it was Signals...

After Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures, Signals was a let down for me.

I've since come to appreciate it more, but I recall at the time that I had to TRY to like the album because it was Rush.

Quite often, it's about expectations...

Albums that were subsequent to Signals weren't that big a dissappointment to me because I'd come to expect less from the band after a number of albums that, for me, weren't up to the work of PW, and MP...

However, I think that VT and Snakes and Arrows both surpassed what I was expecting at the time, which made them wonderful surprises for me.... especially Snakes and Arrows. It's the first Rush album since Moving Pictures that I've played over and over for months. I rarely tire of it.

Has to be T4E for me. Driven is the only redeemable song on the disc. It's amazing that I find people naming P/G as their least favorite album. Just goes to show how varied tastes are. The Enemy Within and Afterimage are just genius, IMO.

Archived