Do you get along with your neighbors?

ReflectedLight

We live on a one way street, it's rural/suburban. Family owned the whole tract of land, sold some off to individuals many years ago. They live in a couple of the "houses" here, and the others are Section 8...government subsidized housing..then our home and another two families up the street.

There was one kid from the house across the street used to bug the hell outta me if there was any work to be had around my place...gimme 5 bucks and I'l do it...but he grew out of it

Everyone keeps to themselves stays out of each other's business, but I tellya what July 4th? The peeps in the Section 8 houses had so much stuff going BOOM you'd have sworn you were in Sadr City

Pretty much. There's a nice lady on one side who came over to say hi to us when we moved in. biggrin.gif And there's an older couple on the other side who seem nice. Although, our dog keeps barking at the guy, (she never barks at anyone) so now Mum and I are suspisious of him, hmm... unsure.gif

The neighbor break-down:

House #1:

Awesome older couple. I think they think they've adopted me. They treat me like a daughter. They're the best!

House #2:

People live there? Sometimes their mail is delivered here and it's like bird magazines and stuff.

House #3:

The husband is great and nice and quiet and cute. His wife is his complete opposite.

House #4:

Love 'em! Can't quite figure out what the deal is though. The husband is always gone.

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 19 2008, 01:05 PM)
The neighbor break-down:

House #1:
Awesome older couple. I think they think they've adopted me. They treat me like a daughter. They're the best!

House #2:
People live there? Sometimes their mail is delivered here and it's like bird magazines and stuff.

House #3:
The husband is great and nice and quiet and cute. His wife is his complete opposite.

House #4:
Love 'em! Can't quite figure out what the deal is though. The husband is always gone.

#3, opposites attract I guess.

Couple across the street from me, she's nice and quiet and he's cocky and waits for you to say hello. He's from France, so I'm not sure if that explains it. No offense.

QUOTE (missionman @ Jul 19 2008, 02:53 PM)
My neighbor is a cop so I NEVER talk to him. I don't like cops.

LOL.

I don't really get along well with my neighbors. I live in a newer *very* quiet and fairly ethnic neighborhood and I'm definitely the bad boy on the block making noise and stuff although I try to keep it to respectful hours yeah?

Put it this way two weeks ago the cops showed up at my place for a noise complaint at TEN pm on a FRIDAY. Holy shit. I deal with yelling and kids screaming and honking an car alarms and shit all day long and would never imagine complaining about it... that's the way life is.. and some douche bag calls me for being too loud *inside* the house on a Friday.

QUOTE (hope70 @ Jul 19 2008, 01:37 PM)
With the exception of a few waves or quick chat, I'd say most of the people are very clanish or keep to themselves on my block.

that's the best way to get along. just wave and keep moving.

In our tiny little village, I know pretty much everyone by first name.

Everybody stops to pass the time of day, and no one is ever in a rush.

If you walk up the street, I can guarantee that at least half the front doors and cars will be unlocked.......

Oh good lord, no. I live in an 6-Unit apartment building and all the good people have moved out. The people living there right now are either phantoms or complete jerks/annoyances.

The worst offenders are the guy and his girlfriend who live right above us. They are constantly getting into screaming fights (their favorite times to do it are after midnight/1am and about 7am) and they aren't just regular fights either. They usually end up with the girl breaking into the guys car, threatening to slash tires, break windows to the apartment, etc. We've had to call the police a few times. And on top of that they are just plain inconsiderate. They park their cars in the driveway instead of in the carport, effectively blocking everyone else from getting in or out. I wont even go into the other kind of stuff they try to pull on a regular basis.

And then theres the woman who lives right next door to us. Shes a hoarder/pack rat, and the worst one I've ever seen. Her apartment is a terrifying fire hazard. Its literally floor to ceiling crap with a little tiny trail through it to navigate to the bathroom, kitchen and bedroom. And her personality isn't any better either. She never has anything nice to say about anyone. She loves to sit right outside our window and trash talk everyone and anyone. If you are unfortunate enough to get stuck in a conversation with her, forget about the rest of the plans for your day because you're going to be stuck there for at least an hour. Plus she dosnt shower and leaves old broken christmas decorations and dead plants outside her door. Grrrr.

rantoff.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jul 19 2008, 02:04 PM)

If you walk up the street, I can guarantee that at least half the front doors and cars will be unlocked.......

I can almost guarantee you that those sorts of places are pretty much extinct in the US. In fact (and not to get political about this, just sayin' the truth), there is one municipality very near where I live where gun ownership is MANDATORY. We've turned into a bunch of frothing paranoiacs around here, not that it's necessarily unwarranted in some communities. Sad. sad.gif

As for my neighbors, we love the ones next door to us. They are just the nicest people. (We're an end unit in a townhome). The guys across the street are nice too, as is the couple about 5 down from us. We do have some weirdos waaay down on the end. They've been here a year and still have California tags on their car. I believe they own a bar, and they're rarely home. At one point their backyard was full of what looked like bar furniture.

The only people I dislike are the people who let their dogs (and cats) outdoors to run loose. Free-roaming dogs cause problems when I am walking my own (leashed) dogs, and the cats crap everywhere.

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Jul 19 2008, 12:30 PM)
The only people I dislike are the people who let their dogs (and cats) outdoors to run loose. Free-roaming dogs cause problems when I am walking my own (leashed) dogs, and the cats crap everywhere.

People letting their dogs run free scares me quite a bit. I had a neighbor in an old neighborhood who had a Doberman and they would leave their gate open! So if you walking by he would chase you down the street (at least). And having been the victim of a bad dog attack, I really don't appreciate people being careless with their dogs.

Cats on the other hand, running free, aren't so bad (IMO). In fact my husband and I love to take walks at night around our neighborhood and we've gotten to know all the local cats that are out at night and enjoy visiting with them. Though they can be a worry when your driving and they dart into the road. My cat never goes outside just for that. Shes strictly indoors.

I can guarantee if you left your door open or car door unlocked in my area, your car would be gone and you wouldn't have a couch to sit on or a tv to watch. laugh.gif

My fiance and I just got our own apartment- moved in May. I haven't really seen any of my neighbors. It's a nice, quiet place.

QUOTE (hope70 @ Jul 19 2008, 08:40 PM)

I can guarantee if you left your door open or car door unlocked in my area, your car would be gone and you wouldn't have a couch to sit on or a tv to watch. laugh.gif

Which is precisely the reason why I choose to live where I do.

I didn't originate here, and I am well aware how good it is.

Cities as a rule bore and depress me, and I have no desire to live in one ever again......

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Jul 19 2008, 08:30 PM)

I can almost guarantee you that those sorts of places are pretty much extinct in the US. In fact (and not to get political about this, just sayin' the truth), there is one municipality very near where I live where gun ownership is MANDATORY. We've turned into a bunch of frothing paranoiacs around here, not that it's necessarily unwarranted in some communities. Sad. sad.gif

As for my neighbors, we love the ones next door to us. They are just the nicest people. (We're an end unit in a townhome). The guys across the street are nice too, as is the couple about 5 down from us. We do have some weirdos waaay down on the end. They've been here a year and still have California tags on their car. I believe they own a bar, and they're rarely home. At one point their backyard was full of what looked like bar furniture.

The UK is no better, trust me on this one.

That's why places like where I live are rare jewels indeed. I can assure they will exist in the USA, they will just be hard to find.

And that's just the way I like it, as I don't want every man and his dog finding out about them.... wink.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jul 19 2008, 03:05 PM)
QUOTE (hope70 @ Jul 19 2008, 08:40 PM)

Which is precisely the reason why I choose to live where I do.

I didn't originate here, and I am well aware how good it is.

Cities as a rule bore and depress me, and I have no desire to live in one ever again......

Can't say I blame you, as I have lived in both types of areas, but traffic is nuts and rents are high. I'm close to work and my rent is cheap, all while having my own place. If I live anywhere else, I'd be fighting traffic and my rent would be through the roof, so there's a tradeoff, so I'll have to deal with city life for a while. For the right price and area, I'd move in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jul 19 2008, 03:08 PM)
QUOTE (Marathonist @ Jul 19 2008, 08:30 PM)

The UK is no better, trust me on this one.

That's why places like where I live are rare jewels indeed. I can assure they will exist in the USA, they will just be hard to find.

And that's just the way I like it, as I don't want every man and his dog finding out about them.... wink.gif

You're right, but after you've been living in a certain area, and make good connections, it's tough to leave, especially if you don't know anyne.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jul 19 2008, 03:04 PM)

So when did you move into Mr. Rodgers neighborhood ?

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 19 2008, 09:57 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Jul 19 2008, 03:04 PM)

So when did you move into Mr. Rodgers neighborhood ?

I had to look that up, as I didn't have a clue who you were talking about.

It's not make-believe though

Archived