What Are We Drinking Tonight??

Midway Hawker

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 1 2006, 08:40 PM)
Had some Johnny Walker Blue tonight. Pretty good for a blended scotch. Smoky, yet smooth.

Whoa.. never had the Blue yet.. I can't imagine it being better than the Gold (which I have had). Johnie Walker is my favorite blended scotch. The black usually works just fine for me.

wink.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Apr 1 2006, 11:58 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 1 2006, 08:40 PM)
Had some Johnny Walker Blue tonight. Pretty good for a blended scotch. Smoky, yet smooth.

Whoa.. never had the Blue yet.. I can't imagine it being better than the Gold (which I have had). Johnie Walker is my favorite blended scotch. The black usually works just fine for me.

wink.gif

Haven't tried Gold yet. Tasted the Blue for the first time tonight. And yeah, you can't go wrong with Black.

tonight I tried the Sauza Hornitos for the first time. It's good. It tastes like tequila! laugh.gif

I also enjoyed a SN Celebration Ale and now I'm sampling a Samuel Adams White Ale... It's a wheat ale and has a much different taste than I'm used to. It's unfiltered and foggy. But it actually tastes very light and refreshing.

trink39.gif

trink38.gif

http://www.heifetzphotography.com/home/SmartWater.jpg

Tonight I am enjoying a 5 year old mead. I bottled this on November 17th, 2000. I checked the batch recipe number in my notebook, I made it with 5lbs of Tupelo honey, 5lbs of Blackberry honey, and 10lbs of Wildflower honey. I used Champange yeast and it had a 11 month fermentation with 4 rackings. SG readings said it was 16%.

It is delicious.

QUOTE (Xeislan @ Apr 3 2006, 02:29 AM)
Tonight I am enjoying a 5 year old mead. I bottled this on November 17th, 2000. I checked the batch recipe number in my notebook, I made it with 5lbs of Tupelo honey, 5lbs of Blackberry honey, and 10lbs of Wildflower honey. I used Champange yeast and it had a 11 month fermentation with 4 rackings. SG readings said it was 16%.

It is delicious.

Sounds good! What is a mead?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 3 2006, 01:43 AM)
Tonight I am enjoying a 5 year old mead.  I bottled this on November 17th, 2000.  I checked the batch recipe number in my notebook, I made it with 5lbs of Tupelo honey, 5lbs of Blackberry honey, and 10lbs of Wildflower honey.  I used Champange yeast and it had a 11 month fermentation with 4 rackings.  SG readings said it was 16%.

It is delicious.

Mead is wine made from honey instead of grapes, think Viking. The traditional mead is extremely dry. Honey ferments out completely leaving a dry product, but retaining the floral qualities of the honey. Commercial meaderies add honey back in to the mead to add sweetness, but that is not real mead. Mead is supposed to by dry.

EDIT:

You also have to cellar mead for a few years, it is very "green" until it ages and mellows.

Edited by Xeislan

QUOTE (Xeislan @ Apr 3 2006, 02:48 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 3 2006, 01:43 AM)
Tonight I am enjoying a 5 year old mead.  I bottled this on November 17th, 2000.  I checked the batch recipe number in my notebook, I made it with 5lbs of Tupelo honey, 5lbs of Blackberry honey, and 10lbs of Wildflower honey.  I used Champange yeast and it had a 11 month fermentation with 4 rackings.  SG readings said it was 16%.

It is delicious.

Mead is wine made from honey instead of grapes, think Viking. The traditional mead is extremely dry. Honey ferments out completely leaving a dry product, but retaining the floral qualities of the honey. Commercial meaderies add honey back in to the mead to add sweetness, but that is not real mead. Mead is supposed to by dry.

Thanks for another home brewing lesson! trink39.gif

Just mentioned in another thread on here, but what the hell:

http://www.goharpos.com/images/menuitems/beer_bottled_youngs_double_chocolate.jpg

Found it at Trader Joe's.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 8 2006, 06:50 PM)
Drinking my last bottle of SN Celebration Ale. 'Tis a sad day in beerland. I'll see you again next winter, Celebration Ale! bekloppt.gif

Thanks for the idea. I have/had 1 left too. It tastes mighty fine. yes.gif

trink39.gif

Had a kick ass Monday, drinking me a bottle of this to celebrate...

http://my.markov.ru/img/veuve-clicquot-ponsardin.jpg

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Apr 8 2006, 07:27 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 8 2006, 06:50 PM)
Drinking my last bottle of SN Celebration Ale. 'Tis a sad day in beerland. I'll see you again next winter, Celebration Ale!  bekloppt.gif

Thanks for the idea. I have/had 1 left too. It tastes mighty fine. yes.gif

trink39.gif

I still have 6 left.. It's soooooo good I knew that case wouldn't last until next winter...

trink39.gif