Pink Floyd - Animals

Gompers

Which is your favorite from this under-rated classic?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite from this under-rated classic?

• Dogs
    • Pigs
    • Sheep

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 3 2008, 12:00 AM)

(check out one of my shirts in my new sig), (huh just noticed this, you can see my laptop in the pics as well....you can see the website I'm on too............HERE!)

I had the exact same shirt only to have it ruined by my brother who "borrowed" it and wore it to work (at the time he was a roofer) angry.gif

It's interesting that there should be a poll about this as I just heard this album yesterday for the first time in a LOOOONG time.

I remember really listening to this album for the first time when I was about 16 (23 years ago! ohmy.gif ). It absolutely blew my mind, just completely floored me.

Anyway, listening to it again yesterday for the first time in awhile, I hate to say it, but Animals to me has become something akin to The Wall. That is to say, I still greatly appreciate its complexity and think its even a masterpiece of sorts, but I just find it too damn depressing to listen to these days. The album is kind of like; people suck, and they suck in one of three primary ways, and now let me elaborate... eh.gif

I dunno - still undoubtably brilliant, but maybe I just don't have that teenage angst anymore where this appeals to me like it used to - just too lyrically harsh for me to enjoy like I used to... sad.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 5 2008, 04:22 AM)
It's interesting that there should be a poll about this as I just heard this album yesterday for the first time in a LOOOONG time.

I remember really listening to this album for the first time when I was about 16 (23 years ago! ohmy.gif ).  It absolutely blew my mind, just completely floored me.

Anyway, listening to it again yesterday for the first time in awhile, I hate to say it, but Animals to me has become something akin to The Wall.  That is to say, I still greatly appreciate its complexity and think its even a masterpiece of sorts, but I just find it too damn depressing to listen to these days.  The album is kind of like; people suck, and they suck in one of three primary ways, and now let me elaborate...  eh.gif

I dunno - still undoubtably brilliant, but maybe I just don't have that teenage angst anymore where this appeals to me like it used to - just too lyrically harsh for me to enjoy like I used to...  sad.gif

comp26.gif

(Goobs that computer is actually your head tongue.gif )

Don't say that, man. Animals is, IHMO, the best PF album. It is so under-rated there are many people who don't even know it exists.

Now I know what you are saying about the tone of the lyrics, and it so reeks (did I spell that right?) of Waters pessimism, however, the quality of the music just balances it all with me.

Anyway, listening to it again yesterday for the first time in awhile, I hate to say it, but Animals to me has become something akin to The Wall. That is to say, I still greatly appreciate its complexity and think its even a masterpiece of sorts, but I just find it too damn depressing to listen to these days. The album is kind of like; people suck, and they suck in one of three primary ways, and now let me elaborate... eh.gif

Wow. I'm surprised you feel this way! Roger Waters is such a positive optimistic guy! The glass always seems half full with him! sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 5 2008, 05:11 AM)

I remember really listening to this album for the first time when I was about 16 (23 years ago! ohmy.gif ).  It absolutely blew my mind, just completely floored me.

Anyway, listening to it again yesterday for the first time in awhile, I hate to say it, but Animals to me has become something akin to The Wall.  That is to say, I still greatly appreciate its complexity and think its even a masterpiece of sorts, but I just find it too damn depressing to listen to these days.  The album is kind of like; people suck, and they suck in one of three primary ways, and now let me elaborate...  eh.gif

I dunno - still undoubtably brilliant, but maybe I just don't have that teenage angst anymore where this appeals to me like it used to - just too lyrically harsh for me to enjoy like I used to...  sad.gif

comp26.gif

(Goobs that computer is actually your head tongue.gif )

Don't say that, man. Animals is, IHMO, the best PF album. It is so under-rated there are many people who don't even know it exists.

Now I know what you are saying about the tone of the lyrics, and it so reeks (did I spell that right?) of Waters pessimism, however, the quality of the music just balances it all with me.

Don't get me wrong man, the music is BRILLIANT, I mean ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. It's just the lyrics that I can't handle anymore. His voice is great, the way their sung is great, their placement in the song is great - I'm speaking solely of the content of the lyrics here... eh.gif

Definitely Dogs, followed by Sheep, Pigs, and then Pigs On The Wing. The latter isn't something I feel needs to be on the album, it's pretty much filler...although I do have a bootleg recording of Animals, where Gilmour throws in a nice extended solo between the two parts.

2.gif

QUOTE (subdivider79 @ Jun 5 2008, 03:58 PM)
Definitely Dogs, followed by Sheep, Pigs, and then Pigs On The Wing. The latter isn't something I feel needs to be on the album, it's pretty much filler...although I do have a bootleg recording of Animals, where Gilmour throws in a nice extended solo between the two parts.

2.gif

I have heard that there is something out there of a studio recording with the two acoustic pieces meshed with a electric lead solo in the middle. Is this just rumor?

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 5 2008, 03:03 PM)

2.gif

I have heard that there is something out there of a studio recording with the two acoustic pieces meshed with a electric lead solo in the middle. Is this just rumor?

I haven't heard anything about a studio version. The live bootleg I have is from 1977, in Canada...

2.gif

QUOTE (subdivider79 @ Jun 5 2008, 04:07 PM)

2.gif

I haven't heard anything about a studio version. The live bootleg I have is from 1977, in Canada...

2.gif

Yes, there is a verision of "Pigs on the Wing" that bridges both parts. It was originally released on the 8-track version of Animals. Snowy White, not David Gilmour, provides the bridge between the two parts. It can now be found on various bootlegs.

Edited by ReRushed

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 5 2008, 04:15 PM)

2.gif

2.gif

Yes, there is a verision of "Pigs on the Wing" that bridges both parts. It was originally released on the 8-track version of Animals. Snowy White, not David Gilmour, provides the bridge between the two parts. It can now be found on various bootlegs.

Time to show my ignorance....who's Snowy White?

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 5 2008, 04:40 PM)

2.gif

2.gif

laugh.gif I had no idea, either!

http://www.snowywhite.com/

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 5 2008, 02:42 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 5 2008, 04:40 PM)

2.gif

2.gif

laugh.gif I had no idea, either!

http://www.snowywhite.com/

Snowy White was origionally a guitarist for Thin Lizzy, but started cooberating with Pink Floyd for the bridge of Pigs on the wing for the 8-track. He is a Friend of the Floyd members and provided backing guitars for the tour of "The Wall".

Aside from other stuff he provides the lead guitar for Roger Water's solo tours.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 5 2008, 04:03 PM)

2.gif

Yes I have an mp3 of it somewhere....It's Snowy White playing the solo though, not Dave.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jun 6 2008, 03:19 AM)

2.gif

Yes I have an mp3 of it somewhere....It's Snowy White playing the solo though, not Dave.

Well that doesn't quite hold the same charm, eh? confused13.gif

Animals is my favorite Floyd album indeed ! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 6 2008, 07:04 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jun 6 2008, 03:19 AM)

2.gif

Well that doesn't quite hold the same charm, eh? confused13.gif

Ach! Don't remind me. Don't get me wrong Snowy White is a great guitarist, and can play Dave's solos well, but then again it's not Dave.

Just listen to "In the Flesh", the Roger Waters solo live album, not the song, and you'll know what I mean.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jun 6 2008, 09:28 AM)
You forgot Pigs on the Wing

No I didn't. The bookend songs were left out on purpose.

See? cool.gif

The question is unfair and I refuse to answer it because I like all god's creatures the same. But, Dogs has probably got it over the Pigs and Sheep by a dog's hair, and that's only due to the size of the beast. It's a lenghtier piece than the other two tracks. All four songs, five tracks are great....But, did ya'll ever notice that the layout and organization of the album is the reverse mirror-image of the precedeing album, Wish You Were Here? On WYWH, one HUGE piece, Shine On, is cut in half and sandwiches three smaller songs. On Animals, one SMALL piece, Pigs OT Wings, is cut in half and sandwiches three larger songs. Ya ever notice that little parlour trick?

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Aug 3 2008, 07:57 PM)
SHEEP. Probably my fave Floyd song. 1022.gif

That is a great song, and I would agree that it is the most "prog" of all the songs, but Dogs is still my fav.