which band would u go see in a tribute concert?

~RUSH~

anyone that i liked tongue.gif

I saw Toronto Airport (Rush Tribute) back in 2005 and thought they were great!

I also saw Zoso the same year (Led Zeppelin Tribute) and they were fabulous as well.

Never really understood the tribute band snobbery.

Sure there are some horrible ones out there but if you find a good one you'll have a great time. For example there's a Genesis tribute band caleld G2 (Excuse the bad name) who play around here sometimes. Going to a real Genesis show now would warrant a setlist full of the '80s radio airplay stuff with a few surprises thrown in and there's nothing wrong with that but I would much, much rather see something similar to what they were playing on the Wind & Wuthering tour, around the time Seconds Out was recorded. G2 have got that covered. There is no chance I'm going to be able to see the real thing perform the likes of One For The Vine, Eleventh Earl Of Mar, Supper's Ready or Back In N.Y.C. but I go see G2 and they'll play it. I can't see why anyone would have a complaint about that?

Same with Rush. Before I even dreamed that Rush would make a return to the U.K. my only way of seeing Rush songs performed live was to go and watch Bravado, my local Rush tribute act. I do not joke when I say they're almost as good as the real thing and I'm sure there are plenty of people who go to there shows who would say "Bravado own Rush!" for the simple reason they play all sorts of stuff the real band would never play live. The Camera Eye anyone? 2112 in its entirety? Oh yeah!

I can actually think of actually zero reasons why anyone would avoid going to see a tribute band, especially one with a great reputation which both of the above have. You've all lost me on that one. So would I rather "Stay in and watch the real thing on TV" or go and see a tribute band. Take a guess.

Was at at Rush tribute last night with a house full of fans, Counterparts was the name of the band and it was a first for a Rush gathering in Ireland , Ill share some stories about that later and a few pics

Im quite sad now that its all over fists crying.gif

QUOTE (sanzo @ May 18 2008, 12:36 PM)
Was at at Rush tribute last night with a house full of fans, Counterparts was the name of the band and it was a first for a Rush gathering in Ireland , Ill share some stories about that later and a few pics

Awesome. I've heard their name mentioned a few times on here. Wish they would come over to the U.K. would be nice to see them as well as my regular...

www.planetbravado.com

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ May 18 2008, 06:41 AM)
QUOTE (sanzo @ May 18 2008, 12:36 PM)

Awesome. I've heard their name mentioned a few times on here. Wish they would come over to the U.K. would be nice to see them as well as my regular...

www.planetbravado.com

Counterparts are from the UK... 653.gif

They nailed the entire Counterparts Album Tour last night, most impressive. Even my Rush hating wife has finally accepted she was wrong all along and will now go to see the real thing next time possible, perhaps Toronto. 653.gif

Anyways, top night, can't wait to do it again soon, and cheers to all who made the effort to come over here for the event.

cheers Tom.

Although you can all see my feelings towards tribute bands in this thread I feel totally different about covers bands. There is a different, a tribute band will make an effort to look and sound like one particular band. Often they'll have it down to perfection and always play a few obscure numbers for the fans. A covers band on the other hand will basically choose a bunch of popular Rock songs Living On A Prayer, Pour Some Sugar On Me, Girls, Girls, Girls, Smoke On The Water, Whole Lotta Love... those types of bands are horrible. I find it totally cheesey and tacky and I hate it. tongue.gif

Archived