Would You Want to be a Moderator

snowdogged

Would You Want to be a Moderator  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Want to be a Moderator

• Yes, I Would Like to be a Moderator Because I Think I Have a Good Idea of When Someone Goes Over the Line and Never go Over the Line Myself.
    • No, I Would Not Like to be a Moderator Because I Have Little Sense of When People go Over the Line and Constantly go Over it Myself.
    • Yes, I Would Like to be a Moderator Just for the Power Trip.
    • No, I Just Couldn't Care Less About Being a Moderator.
    • No, Being a Moderator Would Just be Way Too Restricting.
    • This is the Stupidest Poll Ever.
    • I am a Moderator and You Can Now Consider This Thread Closed.

I was just thinking that I would not want to be a moderator because I would have to constantly make sure that I never went over the line in any post. While I do try not to cross the line too much in any post, sometimes I get a little carried away and do cross the line and insult people in some way. When I do this I usually end up feeling like a piece of sh#t for a little while and try to apologize immediately. However, I love comedy and I am the sort of person that is always cracking jokes with my friends and I also like cracking jokes in the forum (Some good, Some not so good.). I would definitely find it way too constraining to be a moderator. I'd like to hear what some other people think about this.

No thanks. It's not about the constriction. It's not about not knowing when someone crosses the line. It's simply a genuine DISinterest in such things. Having to watch what others write and tell them they shouldn't say such stuff or ban them because they didn't have the sense to NOT put it on there in the first place seems a bit tedious. I mean really, would you want to moderate Necromancer? wink.gif

I voted for Option 2 - "No, I Would Not Like to be a Moderator Because I Have Little Sense of When People go Over the Line and Constantly go Over it Myself."

I'm sorry if anyone feels offended or angered by this or whatever but I love being disrupting, I love arguments. I don't go out of my way to insult or annoy people on the forum but if someone says something and I disagree I let it be known and if they come back with a reply I'll not just let it lie. I'm far too unprofessional to work as a good moderator, I swear, I argue, post in threads that most moderators would typically stay away from (4:20) and generally would probably take things way to personally in a situation where I had the chance to use my moderating powers.

I think the moderators we have already are brilliant at what they do and see no need to employ more right now. They're not too interferring, also seem just like regular posts and are never biased or personal... which is more than I can say for the mods on some forums, no names.

Kneel before me! Obey my might! Worship at the altar of my magnificence! Today the forum, tomorrow the world! Now let's see, edicts! There must be edicts! No more shoes! No more curly fries! No more sugar substitutes!

On second thought, I probably shouldn't be a moderator.

No. I wouldn't really want to police everything. I'm not good at that stuff. Besides, I'm a moody female and what would annoy me one day, wouldn't the next. I'd close a thread and then change my mind a while later. Things would get confusing!

On the serious side... I think the mods and admins we have here are great. They step in when they really need to. That's key.

Nah, I don't think I have it in me to be a mod. Plus on most days, I don't think I'd have the time.

I used to frequent a Jarre forum, and the owner (who is also my best online friend, although we haven't spoken in a while) once asked if I'd like to co-moderate. I declined.

I am an owner and Admin on two sportbike forums.

I have delegated a lot of the 'crap' to other people with bigger cahones than I have. They also do the coding. The Admin for Eugene sportbike does it out of the kindness of his heart because thats where he loves to 'hang out'. The one for Oregon sportbike does it because he and his wife are like family to me. I also give them haircuts and crap too. Sometimes I have to speak up and let people have it, and for the most part they have respect for me. Those two forums are a lot like my beloved Rush forum in the fact that its pretty much a family atmosphere. Not a whole lot of trolls there, and if one shows up, they are run off pretty quickly by other members. So, in all, I do enjoy the admin/mod duties of running my own forums. It's not so bad.

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ May 4 2008, 11:42 AM)
I am an owner and Admin on two sportbike forums.

I have delegated a lot of the 'crap' to other people with bigger cahones than I have. They also do the coding. The Admin for Eugene sportbike does it out of the kindness of his heart because thats where he loves to 'hang out'. The one for Oregon sportbike does it because he and his wife are like family to me. I also give them haircuts and crap too. Sometimes I have to speak up and let people have it, and for the most part they have respect for me. Those two forums are a lot like my beloved Rush forum in the fact that its pretty much a family atmosphere. Not a whole lot of trolls there, and if one shows up, they are run off pretty quickly by other members. So, in all, I do enjoy the admin/mod duties of running my own forums. It's not so bad.

Oh, and I forgot to add, that, I have put into practice what I have experienced here in our wonderful mods and admins. I have also implemented the similar rule tactics as well.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

No...

Reasons:

1. I'm not big on chaos theory but I sort of like chaos, not a good mod trait...

2. I'm too lazy

3. Wouldn't want the commitment

4. Would make questionable judgements

5. Would rebel against the other Mods and get ostracised

6. I like being outside the "system" and love to "fight the power"

7. Would most likely fail to act in cases of bad sexual taste and etiquette

8. Am a bit of a duck looney

9. Not good with authority figures, resentment figures big

10. Not keen on giving intructions or taking them

11. A bit too crap with a computer to be of any use

12. Wouldn't curtail the bust ups in threads with a subtle move or two but would merely watch

!3. I wouldn't want to have to deal with some of the real idiots that sometimes appear on here

14. When dealing with the real idiots I'd feel like osmehow I was fighting against myself

15. Would fall asleep on the job

16. Would get drunk on the job

17. Would buzz off to the pub on the job

18. Would forget about the job altogether and not return for about two weeks

19. Would allow myself to be distracted way too easily by questionable websites among other things

20. And finally errr wait a sec I just have to run off somewhere...

trink38.gif wink.gif

Catch ya later...

biggrin.gif

I'd make a great moderator, for the simple reason that I'm tough but I'm fair.

However, I've always had commitment issues and therefore would likely be relieved of my command in very short order.

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 4 2008, 02:58 PM)
7. Would most likely fail to act in cases of bad sexual taste and etiquette

There is such thing as bad sexual taste and etiquette? Well, that disqualifies me right off the bat.biggrin.gif

Ive been a mod on many different forums and honestly its not as special as it seems to be. You are just a normal member yet you have to watch out for rude things and such a little more often.

QUOTE (Alex @ May 4 2008, 04:03 PM)
Ive been a mod on many different forums and honestly its not as special as it seems to be. You are just a normal member yet you have to watch out for rude things and such a little more often.

666 posts Alex. firedevil.gif

The poll choices are way too incomplete.

For example, there needs to be an answer option that goes something like this:

No, I would not want to be a Moderator because I have better things to do with my life than babysit a bunch of friggin children on an internet forum.

I wouldn't mind actually. I can be reasonable but know when a comment is over the line. I can break balls with the rest of em and don't believe in abuse of any authority, no matter how slight biggrin.gif

Another option for answering in the poll could be: Nah, i would not want to be a moderator, because that would make me have to be reasonably responsible and reasonably objective, when all I want to do is take names and breaks balls in carefree relaxation from my everyday life.

Another option could be: I already have been a moderator for one or more other internet forums, and I don't care to repeat the experience, for reasons expressed in one or more of the other negative answers to this poll.

Archived