Guillermo del Toro to direct The Hobbit!

ReRushed

Freaking awesome - Now the waiting game starts all over again - And then the dreaded time between movies - And the checking of the updates every day on TORN + the inevitable download of the Hobbit countdown clock - yes.gif

When I first read the title of this thread, I thought, he's an actor - has he even ever directed before? confused13.gif

As it turns out, I was thinking of Benicio Del Toro... blush4.gif

Excellent choice, btw. yes.gif

I don't have anywhere near the excitement I did over the LOTR movies, but I'm sure these will be great...

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Apr 25 2008, 07:13 PM)
Forward progress- excellent news!! Now start filming before something happens to Ian McKellen.

yes.gif

I'm particularly interested in how the sequel/bridge film will turn out... as a novel I preferred LotR over the Hobbit, but the latter has a lighter theme so it will be neat to see how they close the gap between them.

I hope they will collaborate at least a little.

I really hope there is a consistancy to this film.

for example,

As much as I loved Star Wars as a kid, the incredible jumps forward in technology coupled with the jumps BACK in the story makes it hard to watch.

and if a jarjar -type character emerges I'll personally hunt the man down :-)

I'm not too familiar w/ him, but I did see Pan's Labrynth and I'm not sure that I loved it, and not sure that I disliked it either.

I'm assuming that there will be uniformity w/ regard to wardrobe scenery, etc.

Is this a fair assumption???

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Apr 26 2008, 10:46 AM)
I hope they will collaborate at least a little.
I really hope there is a consistancy to this film.

for example,
As much as I loved Star Wars as a kid, the incredible jumps forward in technology coupled with the jumps BACK in the story makes it hard to watch.
and if a jarjar -type character emerges I'll personally hunt the man down :-)

I'm not too familiar w/ him, but I did see Pan's Labrynth and I'm not sure that I loved it, and not sure that I disliked it either.

I'm assuming that there will be uniformity w/ regard to wardrobe scenery, etc.

Is this a fair assumption???

Yes. It's a fair assumption. Guillermo del Toro has repeatedly said he wants to contribute to what Peter Jackson has established.

If it had to be someone besides PJ, it's good that they picked del Toro. His films show that appreciation for the fantastic and bizarre like PJ so I think it will work out quite well. I'm more concerned about casting, especially Bilbo as I don't think they will ask Ian Holm because of his age.

QUOTE (darrenhigh @ Apr 26 2008, 12:03 PM)
If it had to be someone besides PJ, it's good that they picked del Toro. His films show that appreciation for the fantastic and bizarre like PJ so I think it will work out quite well. I'm more concerned about casting, especially Bilbo as I don't think they will ask Ian Holm because of his age.

They have the right people working on this film. I trust everything will work out just fine. yes.gif

QUOTE (darrenhigh @ Apr 26 2008, 08:03 AM)

They really only have to worry about Gandalf, Gollum and possibly Elrond. Bilbo was much younger, so there are more options for him.

Didn't "Gandalf" already sign on again?!