What was the first Rush song you learned

theworkingman

QUOTE (ifloveremains @ Apr 5 2008, 10:32 PM)
I have a bad habit of learning tidbits of many different songs instead of committing to one, but I'm still a beginner. I think I might go for Limelight though.

Nothing wrong with that... I have learned many a song that way over the years... trink39.gif

QUOTE (ifloveremains @ Apr 5 2008, 10:32 PM)
...still working on it.

I have a bad habit of learning tidbits of many different songs instead of committing to one, but I'm still a beginner. I think I might go for Limelight though.

I have done that also and still do. I learn the main riff and then maybe the verse and chorus and dont bother to learn the solo. Im sure youll get it though and good luck with Limelight! Thats a really fun song to play.

Subdivisions, because it had one of the only solos I could actually play laugh.gif

As for Limelight...I knew snippets of that one for a few years, and I'm finally starting to get the hang of the rest of it. Alex and his frikkin' weird chords... doh.gif

Edited by invisibleairwaves

For drums, I first learned Animate. I was so in love with that beat the first time I had heard it. And I still love playing that song, the only part I cannot play is that ridiculous fill Neil does towards the end.

As far as guitar, I learned my first song this weekend, Good News First. I have learned snippets of other tunes, but as others have mentioned, never comitted myself to learn an entire song.

biggrin.gif

Edited by xx2112xx

Yeah I was another one, always learning bits here and there but never sitting down and getting a full song sorted. Think my first on guitar was a very predictable Fly By Night complete with horrible off-key solo, once I'd got that sorted out properly and it sounded decent I learned Bacchus Plateau from The Fountain Of Lamneth and then...

As for bass I think it was probably Fly By Night too, I found by learning both at the same time I was able to master the parts and pick up on them easier and then Tom Sawyer (With some cut backs from the original, so it wasn't perfect).

I think it was far cry?(on guitar) It was the first rush song where I thought... yeah, I can do this yes.gif . That was not long after it first came out. Now I know quite a few Rush songs, although I do improvise on some solo's as I still find them a challenge wink.gif

QUOTE (AnalogAlex @ Apr 6 2008, 09:31 AM)
although I do improvise on some solo's as I still find them a challenge wink.gif

Yeah Alex's solos can definately be a huge challenge. I have yet to get the Emotion Detector solo down. Some of his best work.

Xanadu on bass was my first Rush song to cover, then Limelight on guitar. Ive worked through most of the rush songs, and when figuring out new ones I just took the same notes from the bass and applied power chords, then cleaned up with either open chords, with suspended chords, and lowered fifths. Great deals when it comes to guitar. Bass parts are simple, just remembering which part goes where is what it was all about

Beginning to end, it was "Limelight" on bass.

But I learned a bunch of other riffs before that.

The first song I learned on guitar ever was "In the End"

It was 1979. I was 15 years old and bought a piece of shit acoustic guitar for $5.00

I knew something about music because I'd played clarinet in the school band for a few years. I had a Mel Bay chord book and was able to figure out the roots of the chords, D, G, F, C

I found the chords in the book and sure enough it sounded like it.