Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (the oaks @ Oct 29 2010, 10:47 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 29 2010, 10:11 PM)
I'm watching the Insurgentes DVD right now. And, I hope not to spoil anything, so I'll be as general as possible here. I appreciate SW's point of the demise of the "art" of music, or what used to be the art that came with music. I agree that there is a sterility that has come with the age of the CD. There isn't much but the CD when you buy it. (I won't even touch on the MP3 here. It's just a computer file, after all. Not much AT ALL to that.) Very few artists take the extra step in the process to present their music in a visually asthetic way. I remember getting the R30 DVD package and being so excited that it had those two picks and the "backstage pass" included, not thinking about how ridiculous and manufactured they were. I was floored, and actually inspired, when I got the deluxe edition of The Incident. The artistic value of not just the music, but what came with the CD's, made me feel like I had made a valuable investment in it. The discs weren't even the main component. The art was the main focus. In the packaging of it, anyway. It cost a pretty penny, mind you, and it pissed me off a little to be spending that much money at the time I made the actual purchase. But, having it in my hands and seeing exactly what I had paid for made it worth the price. And, I didn't buy any other music for a long time, because that ate up my music budget. But, it was like when we were kids and we had to take the time to decide, "Is this REALLY what I want? Because this is it for a while." Now, having the Insurgentes DVD and seeing the way it's packaged in an incredibly beautiful artistic way, and NOT costing a pretty penny, I appreciate his message that much more.

I paused the DVD and went to look through my vinyl collection, or what's left of it. And, I know what he means. I miss that tangible element of having a record sleeve in my hands to look at and pour over the lyrics from while I listen to the music. This might sound goofy, but I sometimes stick my nose into the sleeves and take a deep breath, because they still smell like my bedroom from when I was growing up. It would be cool to travel around and make a documentary of people showing their vinyl collections and telling their stories of them. It wouldn't be a very interesting documentary if it were to be of people showing off their CD collections. It isn't the same.

Wow.

goodpost.gif

yes.gif

Great post!

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 29 2010, 09:11 PM)
I'm watching the Insurgentes DVD right now. And, I hope not to spoil anything, so I'll be as general as possible here. I appreciate SW's point of the demise of the "art" of music, or what used to be the art that came with music. I agree that there is a sterility that has come with the age of the CD. There isn't much but the CD when you buy it. (I won't even touch on the MP3 here. It's just a computer file, after all. Not much AT ALL to that.) Very few artists take the extra step in the process to present their music in a visually asthetic way. I remember getting the R30 DVD package and being so excited that it had those two picks and the "backstage pass" included, not thinking about how ridiculous and manufactured they were. I was floored, and actually inspired, when I got the deluxe edition of The Incident. The artistic value of not just the music, but what came with the CD's, made me feel like I had made a valuable investment in it. The discs weren't even the main component. The art was the main focus. In the packaging of it, anyway. It cost a pretty penny, mind you, and it pissed me off a little to be spending that much money at the time I made the actual purchase. But, having it in my hands and seeing exactly what I had paid for made it worth the price. And, I didn't buy any other music for a long time, because that ate up my music budget. But, it was like when we were kids and we had to take the time to decide, "Is this REALLY what I want? Because this is it for a while." Now, having the Insurgentes DVD and seeing the way it's packaged in an incredibly beautiful artistic way, and NOT costing a pretty penny, I appreciate his message that much more.

I paused the DVD and went to look through my vinyl collection, or what's left of it. And, I know what he means. I miss that tangible element of having a record sleeve in my hands to look at and pour over the lyrics from while I listen to the music. This might sound goofy, but I sometimes stick my nose into the sleeves and take a deep breath, because they still smell like my bedroom from when I was growing up. It would be cool to travel around and make a documentary of people showing their vinyl collections and telling their stories of them. It wouldn't be a very interesting documentary if it were to be of people showing off their CD collections. It isn't the same.

All I can say is that you're spot on with that statement of yours! You pretty much spoke for everyone on here...literally! trink39.gif

BTW, I thought Insurgentes was an awesome documentary. It's one of the few documentaries that I felt I could watch thousands of times and not get bored of it. Plus, I found some certain scenes of the movie to be funny in a good way and found it nice to get to see some certain aspects of his life.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Oct 29 2010, 10:26 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 29 2010, 09:11 PM)

All I can say is that you're spot on with that statement of yours! You pretty much spoke for everyone on here...literally! trink39.gif

BTW, I thought Insurgentes was an awesome documentary. It's one of the few documentaries that I felt I could watch thousands of times and not get bored of it. Plus, I found some certain scenes of the movie to be funny in a good way and found it nice to get to see some certain aspects of his life.

That film really did inspire me. It made me think a lot about a lot of things. Beautifully put together, and an honest and humble reflection of Steven Wilson. HIGHLY recommended to everyone.

Disney World. rofl3.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 29 2010, 11:15 AM)

Ok... so... my copy of the Insurgentes DVD came yesterday. I'll watch it tonight. But, of course I flipped through the booklet, came to the pic of SW strapped to a bed, and seriously almost fell down. ohmy.gif I know it's supposed to be some kind of "I'm mental and need to be restrained..." type thing. But, that's not at ALL how my mind perceived it at first glance. holy hell.....

anyhoo.....

I can't wait to see the DVD. smile.gif [/quote]
I would LOVE to see that picture. drool1.gif [/quote]
Girl.... wacko.gif

It's CRAZY hot. Don't know if I can get it scanned, but I'll try.

If you can that would be great.

I hate being broke. fists crying.gif

Hahahahaha, Disney World was probably my favorite scene for humorous reasons. I honestly did not expect that to pop up in the movie at all and when it did it probably made my day, I repeated the scene over and over again after I finished watching the film for the first time. I laughed so hard I nearly cried! I honestly don't know what Steven's intentions of putting that scene in the film, whether it's to insult American culture or it's his way of being funny. I really wonder what the people in the costumes or the people that saw him that day thought about him....is it me or did Steven look like he was about crack a smile near the end of that scene where he's getting his picture taken? Love the fact that the sign looked like it said Carousel of Prog. That should totally be a reality!

The ironic part about that scene is that my high school choir is going there during our spring break this year and I'm part of it. It's funny cause I'm going to think about that scene the entire time I'm staying there, and knowing me, I'm probably going to do some of the same stuff he did there. I will never think of Disney World the same way again!

z7shysterical.gif

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, I'm really sorry for the spoiler alert, I just had to bring it up.

Edited by PolarizeMe

QUOTE (KW84 @ Oct 29 2010, 11:06 PM)

Ok... so... my copy of the Insurgentes DVD came yesterday. I'll watch it tonight. But, of course I flipped through the booklet, came to the pic of SW strapped to a bed, and seriously almost fell down. ohmy.gif I know it's supposed to be some kind of "I'm mental and need to be restrained..." type thing. But, that's not at ALL how my mind perceived it at first glance. holy hell.....

anyhoo.....

I can't wait to see the DVD. smile.gif

I would LOVE to see that picture. drool1.gif [/quote]
Girl.... wacko.gif

It's CRAZY hot. Don't know if I can get it scanned, but I'll try. [/quote]

You know what? I will do that this weekend. My mom has a scanner, and damnit to hell, you will see that picture because it's.... well, it's hot. Not meant to be, I'm sure, but it is. yes.gif

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Oct 29 2010, 11:06 PM)
Hahahahaha, Disney World was probably my favorite scene for humorous reasons. I honestly did not expect that to pop up in the movie at all and when it did it probably made my day, I repeated the scene over and over again after I finished watching the film for the first time. I laughed so hard I nearly cried! I honestly don't know what Steven's intentions of putting that scene in the film, whether it's to insult American culture or it's his way of being funny. I really wonder what the people in the costumes or the people that saw him that day thought about him....is it me or did Steven look like he was about crack a smile near the end of that scene where he's getting his picture taken? Love the fact that the sign looked like it said Carousel of Prog. That should totally be a reality!

The ironic part about that scene is that my high school choir is going there during our spring break this year and I'm part of it. It's funny cause I'm going to think about that scene the entire time I'm staying there, and knowing me, I'm probably going to do some of the same stuff he did there. I will never think of Disney World the same way again!
z7shysterical.gif

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, I'm really sorry for the spoiler alert, I just had to bring it up.

You HAVE to do the Carousel of Prog pic with the Mickey ears and everything. You HAVE to. laugh.gif To freakin' funny.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 29 2010, 11:08 PM)

anyhoo.....

I would LOVE to see that picture. drool1.gif

Girl.... wacko.gif

It's CRAZY hot. Don't know if I can get it scanned, but I'll try. [/quote]

I hate being broke. fists crying.gif [/quote]
You know what? I will do that this weekend. My mom has a scanner, and damnit to hell, you will see that picture because it's.... well, it's hot. Not meant to be, I'm sure, but it is. yes.gif

Thank you! common001.gif

I can't wait to see that yummy picture. drool1.gif

You rock! 1022.gif

QUOTE (KW84 @ Oct 29 2010, 11:12 PM)

anyhoo.....

Girl.... wacko.gif

I hate being broke. fists crying.gif [/quote]
You know what? I will do that this weekend. My mom has a scanner, and damnit to hell, you will see that picture because it's.... well, it's hot. Not meant to be, I'm sure, but it is. yes.gif [/quote]
Thank you! common001.gif

You rock! 1022.gif

laugh.gif

I'm not sure "yummy" is the word. He's strapped to a bed and the oppossing page describes a dream he had about a dentist's visit where they sent him off with his head in a fishbowl while waving at him, and tripping and his head rolling down into a field of corn and...

You know what? Whatever... it's still a hot pic. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

common001.gif

http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com/images/magblogs/rhythm/latest%20issue/RHY183covercrop-460-100-460-70.jpg

ou pick up the brand new issue of Rhythm Magazine, you will see a familiar face gracing it's cover- none other than PORCUPINE TREE stixman Gavin Harrison.

In a glorious 9 page feature titled 'Inside The Mind Of A Prog Drum Master', Gavin talks about a plethor of things, including the move from a session drummer to playing with PT 8 years ago, his love of grooves, working with odd time signatures, playing Royal Albert Hall and what there is for him left to achieve. They also take a look at his kit and get the scoop on what Steven, Richard and Colin- the other 3/4 of Porcupine Tree- have to say about their drummer.

Be sure to pick up the new issue, dated November 2010, which is in stores now. And check back here tomorrow when we will bring you part 2 of our interview with PT frontman Steven Wilson...

Link

Edited by Gompers

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 30 2010, 12:34 AM)

anyhoo.....

Girl.... wacko.gif

You know what? I will do that this weekend. My mom has a scanner, and damnit to hell, you will see that picture because it's.... well, it's hot. Not meant to be, I'm sure, but it is. yes.gif [/quote]
Thank you! common001.gif

You rock! 1022.gif [/quote]
laugh.gif

I'm not sure "yummy" is the word. He's strapped to a bed and the oppossing page describes a dream he had about a dentist's visit where they sent him off with his head in a fishbowl while waving at him, and tripping and his head rolling down into a field of corn and...

common001.gif

Should we open up a "Steven Wilson is Hot" thread in NWW?

Seriously, ladies.

dazed025.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (the oaks @ Oct 30 2010, 08:53 AM)

anyhoo.....

Girl.... wacko.gif

Thank you! common001.gif

You rock! 1022.gif [/quote]
laugh.gif

common001.gif [/quote]

Seriously, ladies.

dazed025.gif

laugh.gif

unsure.gif Um.... sorry?

laugh.gif

two words: geek fetish. wink.gif

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Oct 30 2010, 11:55 AM)
Perhaps an Insurgentes movie thread as well... Some of us have not yet seen it, and that last page was so 'spoiler-tastic' I had to skip the whole thing... ohmy.gif

Are their spoiler tags here?

Yeah, I'll admit I got carried away with revealing some spoilers from the film....I honestly don't know if there is any spoiler tags here, but if there was and I knew about it, I would've definitely used it. ohmy.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 30 2010, 10:19 AM)

anyhoo.....

Girl.... wacko.gif

Thank you! common001.gif

You rock! 1022.gif

laugh.gif

common001.gif [/quote]

Seriously, ladies.

dazed025.gif

laugh.gif [/quote]
unsure.gif Um.... sorry?

laugh.gif

two words: geek fetish. wink.gif

I vote yes.gif

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Oct 30 2010, 04:44 PM)
QUOTE (rummut71 @ Oct 30 2010, 11:55 AM)
Perhaps an Insurgentes movie thread as well... Some of us have not yet seen it, and that last page was so 'spoiler-tastic' I had to skip the whole thing...  ohmy.gif

Are their spoiler tags here?

Yeah, I'll admit I got carried away with revealing some spoilers from the film....I honestly don't know if there is any spoiler tags here, but if there was and I knew about it, I would've definitely used it. ohmy.gif

Yeah, sorry about that. I guess I'll start a new thread. Sorry! sad.gif

In Absentia Vs Deadwing?

Because I'm hearing many fans consider In Absentia the better of the two which is really surprising. I consider IA an average offering at best where Deadwing is an out and out 5-star piece of perfection. Well what's your take?

QUOTE (Steevo @ Nov 2 2010, 04:44 PM)
In Absentia Vs Deadwing?

Because I'm hearing many fans consider In Absentia the better of the two which is really surprising. I consider IA an average offering at best where Deadwing is an out and out 5-star piece of perfection. Well what's your take?

Those are my two favorite PT albums. I'd have to go with IA, but both are great.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Nov 3 2010, 10:49 AM)
In Absentia Vs Deadwing?

Because I'm hearing many fans consider In Absentia the better of the two which is really surprising.  I consider IA an average offering at best where Deadwing is an out and out 5-star piece of perfection.  Well what's your take?

Those are my two favorite PT albums. I'd have to go with IA, but both are great.

Shit, I must add that IA still contains a few gems but overall it rounds out to a 3-star rating, that's all folks trink38.gif

IA hooked me on PT in about 10 seconds after I put it into the CD player in the car so long ago...I listened to Blackest Eyes probably six times in a row! It did not leave the player for probably two months...

Deadwing is essential PT, and is my favorite record... It is tough to beat!

Once I had those two, I started going backwards to 'Middle Tree' which I have a great appreciation for today. Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun are a real sweet spot in their canon, and they get a regular listening...

We don't know what is yet to come, but to me IA and DW are Porcupine Tree's 'Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures'...

QUOTE (Steevo @ Nov 2 2010, 05:44 PM)
In Absentia Vs Deadwing?

Deadwing had more of an aggressive and pop flavor. IA was much more Prog, IMO. I love them both. IA gets the nod because without it, Deadwing would not have been so good.

In Absentia Vs Deadwing?

It depends on what you're looking for. Deadwing is PT's most metal-oriented album. So, if you're after heavy music, Deadwing is the better of the two. If you're into complex and diverse progressive rock, IA does the trick. Both are amazing and I could pick one over the other on any given day.