Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

I still need to upload the pictures I took Tuesday night. But, here is a photo gallery from the Dallas show. Frame 19... that's pretty much the view we had, but even closer. That photographer, incidentally, was close to getting smacked in the head if he stood in front of me one more time.

http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2010/apr/2...0/?refscroll=96

Edited by sullysue

QUOTE (Handle With Kid Gloves @ Apr 22 2010, 12:06 AM)
I've never heard anything by PT, what would you suggest for somebody new?

edit: came across Pure Narcotic on youtube, love it. Downloaded the discog now. I'll give it a listen tomorrow

If you're digging Stupid Dream then just start there. The band gets "heavier" after Lightbulb Sun.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 22 2010, 07:53 AM)

edit: came across Pure Narcotic on youtube, love it. Downloaded the discog now. I'll give it a listen tomorrow

If you're digging Stupid Dream then just start there. The band gets "heavier" after Lightbulb Sun.

I was listening to The Incident all day today. Just took it off repeat, I like the feel it has

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 22 2010, 06:01 AM)

My suggestion would be to start with Stupid Dream and work forward in their catalog. (Maybe even start at Signify, the disc prior to SD.) If you really get into those, go back to the discs prior to Signify, where Wilson focused more on techno and atmospheric music. Before Stupid Dream, Porcupine Tree was more of a one-man-act with Wilson at the helm. He would bring in other musicians to contribute to those earlier CD's. But, PT wasn't fully a band in the proper sense until after Signify. You'll notice a distinct progression through different phases as you move through their catalog. Have fun discovering their music. I'm sure you'll love them! smile.gif

Thanks for the info, I'll check out more when i get home

QUOTE (Handle With Kid Gloves @ Apr 22 2010, 02:51 PM)

I was listening to The Incident all day today. Just took it off repeat, I like the feel it has

Wow...that's quite a jump! The Incident isn't their most accessible or non-fan-friendly record, so glad you enjoyed it!!

If you really enjoy what you're listening to, order the Arriving Somewhere DVD from amazon or some other such place. Great to watch live.

Going to see them this next Wednesday for the first time. smile.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 22 2010, 03:18 PM)

Wow...that's quite a jump! The Incident isn't their most accessible or non-fan-friendly record, so glad you enjoyed it!!

If you really enjoy what you're listening to, order the Arriving Somewhere DVD from amazon or some other such place. Great to watch live.

Tuesday was my first PT show. You'll die. Seriously. One of the best shows I've EVER seen.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 22 2010, 03:24 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 22 2010, 03:18 PM)

Tuesday was my first PT show. You'll die. Seriously. One of the best shows I've EVER seen.

My first PT show is on May 8th Im so excited! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 23 2010, 03:31 AM)
That photographer, incidentally, was close to getting smacked in the head if he stood in front of me one more time.

laugh.gif Such a pistol...thanks for a great review trink39.gif Like Rush I seriously doubt I will ever get to see them here, but TRF has some of the best fans for post-show write-ups so not all is lost trink38.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 22 2010, 12:18 PM)

I'll be sure to do that as soon as I can get another pre-paid visa.. being 16 sucks laugh.gif

Next things to buy:

P/G shirt

AFTK shirt

Arriving Somewhere DVD

QUOTE (Steevo @ Apr 22 2010, 03:44 PM)
That photographer, incidentally, was close to getting smacked in the head if he stood in front of me one more time.

laugh.gif Such a pistol...thanks for a great review trink39.gif Like Rush I seriously doubt I will ever get to see them here, but TRF has some of the best fans for post-show write-ups so not all is lost trink38.gif

Now, really. He was a nuisance. Nice pictures, but go obstruct someone else's view. I was irked. angry.gif

You need to leave that island of yours and get out into the world to see some of these shows! smile.gif I feel bad I couldn't get a signature for you. sad.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 23 2010, 08:51 AM)
You need to leave that island of yours and get out into the world to see some of these shows!  smile.gif

Oh I have. I've travelled and seen some great shit in the past. Just these days things have changed and as it goes I'm not so amped for concerts anyways, unless very spesh. I just cant see PT ever making it here, but then DT made it so you never really know.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 22 2010, 03:51 PM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Apr 22 2010, 03:44 PM)

Now, really. He was a nuisance. Nice pictures, but go obstruct someone else's view. I was irked. angry.gif

You need to leave that island of yours and get out into the world to see some of these shows! smile.gif I feel bad I couldn't get a signature for you. sad.gif

For some reason, I feel compelled to add that I saw that guy's butt crack everytime he bent down. Tell me now that you wouldn't have been a little bit irritated. I'm trying to concentrate on Steven Wilson and all his magnificance, and I'm distracted by some big slob of a photographer's ass. moon.gif

laugh.gif

I finally broke down a few months ago, and downloaded the ultra rare "Recordings" B-Side compilation. (Currently going for $380 new, and $180 used on Amazon)

They were supposed to re-issue "Recordings" back in 2008, but never got around to it.....

I couldn't wait for the reissue to hear some of this PT music, so a few months ago I downloaded it... and I loved it...... Amazing..especially the 15 minute "full" version of "Even Less"

I am finally getting back around to listening to it again... It's still as fantastic, but I wish they would release the reissue already!

Here is a cool track off of that album

Here are a few pics from Tuesday night. Sorry they're so big. I'm too tired to resize them. Keep in mind, I'm not Mr. Asscrack The Wonder Photog. I just want to illustrate how close we were.

Bigelf:

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae62/Sullysue67/PTDallas/DSC00228.jpg

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae62/Sullysue67/PTDallas/DSC00227.jpg

Mr. Wilson:

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae62/Sullysue67/PTDallas/DSC00235.jpg

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae62/Sullysue67/PTDallas/DSC00230.jpg

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae62/Sullysue67/PTDallas/DSC00236.jpg

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 23 2010, 03:45 PM)
Here are a few pics from Tuesday night. Sorry they're so big. I'm too tired to resize them. Keep in mind, I'm not Mr. Asscrack The Wonder Photog. I just want to illustrate how close we were.

laugh.gif Good enough pics, well done!! applaudit.gif

Someone told me, after listening to PT music, that they were depressing. I guess I never saw it that way. For one, the music aspect blows me away, but maybe Steve lyrics are not the happiest. This makes me wonder if the man has had a troubled life.

QUOTE (Rush! @ Apr 22 2010, 09:05 PM)
I really regret not getting tickets to see PT.

I don't know why I didn't, they played at Radio City, am I correct?

They haven't played Radio City yet! They play on September 24th.

You might still be able to get tickets. Maybe someone here at TRF might have an extra ticket.

Anyone??? unsure.gif

QUOTE (Natch @ Apr 23 2010, 08:43 AM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Apr 22 2010, 09:05 PM)
I really regret not getting tickets to see PT.

I don't know why I didn't, they played at Radio City, am I correct?

They haven't played Radio City yet! They play on September 24th.

You might still be able to get tickets. Maybe someone here at TRF might have an extra ticket.

Anyone??? unsure.gif

I'm on the PT site now and it looks like tickets are still available for the show.

I may try to get tickets...

Hopefully get some semi-decent seats...

Thanks Natch. smile.gif

Are you going to that show?

QUOTE (Rush! @ Apr 23 2010, 02:28 PM)
Just grabbed 2 seats on Orchestra Level!

So psyched.

I owe it to Natch for questioning if tickets were still on sale.

Thanks again sir. biggrin.gif

Yep...I'll be there!

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee47/kevinmcarney/01933869-1.jpg

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 23 2010, 03:56 PM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Apr 23 2010, 02:28 PM)
Just grabbed 2 seats on Orchestra Level!

So psyched.

I owe it to Natch for questioning if tickets were still on sale.

Thanks again sir. biggrin.gif

Right on! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

trink39.gif 1022.gif

Natch, how long did it take for your ticket to arrive in the mail?

An article on John Wesley. Finally, some props for a key musician in the touring PT.

Link

Brandon guitarist tours with British rock band Porcupine Tree
Any successful musician can talk about going from the bars to the arenas.

Brandon native John Wesley has done it, and then done it in reverse.

Since 2002, Wesley has been the touring guitarist with British prog-rockers Porcupine Tree, playing more than 400 shows at venues around the world.

One tour ended at London's O2 Arena before a sold-out audience.

Three days later, Wesley says, "I'm playing acoustic covers in the Green Iguana for three people who don't care."

Wesley laughs about it, but he doesn't grouse. He's a guitar player by trade and inclination, and any chance to play he sees as a positive.

"A lot of people look at it as drudgery," Wesley says of the gigs playing acoustic covers that are the financial, if not the artistic, bread and butter for many musicians.

"I look at it as practice," he says. "It enhances what I do.

"I have to do it to keep my chops up," Wesley insists. "If I do a four-hour gig, that's four hours of playing, four hours of my hands on the guitar, four hours of my voice on the microphone."

Wesley's got chops to spare, but he's got a point. The complex arrangements and sometimes arcane time signatures employed by Porcupine Tree would test any player's mettle.

"At times during the gig if you watch my lips you can see me counting," Wesley says.

There's more to Porcupine Tree than twisting arrangements. Steve Wilson, the band's leader, creates a particularly 21st century version of prog-rock, with elements of metal, Krautrock and electronica. His lyrical concepts are often dark, bordering on dystopian.

Wilson's not an especially dark person, Wesley says. "He just likes to point out that side of society so we'll take a look at it," Wesley says. "He's very sarcastic, and very leery of organized anything."

Wesley came to Wilson's attention when the Floridian was playing guitar for Fish, former lead singer for English prog-rock veterans Marillion.

Wesley led his own '80s band, Autodrive. He's been Marillion's guitar tech and opening act, subbed on bass and lead guitar for Sister Hazel and maintained a solo career. He's working on his next album in between stints with Porcupine Tree.

Wesley also runs, with partner Mark Prator, Red Room Recorders. Wilson is a fan of the studios - he flies over to record Porcupine Tree's guitar parts with Wesley producing.

Despite being part of the band for eight years, Wesley says becoming a permanent member isn't in the cards, "because of the dynamic of the band."

"Steve has a very strong and powerful vision," Wesley says. "Adding another vision dilutes that.

"I respect that and try to learn from him and channel that into my own work," Wesley says. "Working with him has enabled me to be more focused in doing my own thing."