Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 2 2009, 11:28 AM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Dec 2 2009, 11:24 AM)
Not that he doesn't like Floyd, he just wants to do his own thing and not be slapped with a label by critics and listeners.

That's typical of any artist I suppose.

By the way, the way this group harmonizes reminds me of a 70s band....kind of CSNY but I thought of Moody Blues or Yes as well. Can't quite put my finger on it.....

supposedly the beach boys are a major influence on his harmonies.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 2 2009, 10:17 AM)
I am listening to my first Porcupine Tree right now.....So far I have listened to Revenant, and The Sound of Muzak.  Right now I'm listening to Hatesong.

HOLY CRAP these guys are really, really good!

Are you listening to songs or watching clips on YouTube? As great as their studio work is, they're even better live.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 2 2009, 03:08 PM)
I am listening to my first Porcupine Tree right now.....So far I have listened to Revenant, and The Sound of Muzak.  Right now I'm listening to Hatesong.

Are you listening to songs or watching clips on YouTube? As great as their studio work is, they're even better live.

Listening to songs.

I can't get YouTube at the job. sad.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 2 2009, 12:04 PM)
Buying New Soul sounds like Pink Floyd could have done it.

yes.gif

Totally paying homage to Floyd.

QUOTE (tangy @ Dec 2 2009, 12:40 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 2 2009, 11:28 AM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Dec 2 2009, 11:24 AM)
Not that he doesn't like Floyd, he just wants to do his own thing and not be slapped with a label by critics and listeners.

That's typical of any artist I suppose.

By the way, the way this group harmonizes reminds me of a 70s band....kind of CSNY but I thought of Moody Blues or Yes as well. Can't quite put my finger on it.....

supposedly the beach boys are a major influence on his harmonies.

Trivial info...one of SW's favorites songs is "God Only knows" by the Beach Boys. He mentions that on an acoustic solo show he did in Israel following the release of In Absentia.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 2 2009, 03:15 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 2 2009, 03:08 PM)

Listening to songs.

I can't get YouTube at the job. sad.gif

When you're able, check out this live version of "Hatesong." The song is set up for Gavin and Steven to improvise. The whole ending is just them doing whatever they want for as long as Gavin wants. Gavin improvises a little in every song, and never plays the same exact drum parts from one show to the next.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj-gBejUQiE

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 2 2009, 04:13 PM)
When you're able, check out this live version of "Hatesong." The song is set up for Gavin and Steven to improvise. The whole ending is just them doing whatever they want for as long as Gavin wants. Gavin improvises a little in every song, and never plays the same exact drum parts from one show to the next.

Cool, thanks.

The more I listen to PT, the more I see that it's hit or miss with me.

But the good stuff is REALLY good.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 2 2009, 05:28 PM)

Cool, thanks.

It seems a lot of PT fans I talk to or read posts from like the newer heavier stuff starting with 2002's In Absentia, when Gavin joined the band. The older stuff leans more towards Floyd-ish atmospheric stuff. A friend of mine was given a PT mix CD by a friend of his, and he emailed me and listed the songs he liked and kinda didn't like. The dividing line was clearly pre- and post-2002.

I really enjoy the mid to late 90s psychedelic releases.

'The Sky Moves Sideways' and 'Signify' are definitely two of my favorite PT releases.

But I do think that PT are as solid now than as they were in the 90s.

Maybe even better.

Gavin definitely adds a great element to the music.

He's just a phenomenal beast on the kit.

I'm still in the discovery phase with PT. I was only turned on to them a few months ago. I have six of their albums. There is so much material, and so little time! laugh.gif

So far, I'm totally digging this band. Just picked up "The Sky Moves Sideways" last night.

I can't believe I hadn't heard of these guys until recently. I guess that's what I get for only listening to the radio. The new stuff I hear from mainstream FM radio is mostly crap.

OH MY. ohmy.gif

That was exceptional.

After seeing Gavin play like that, I thought about just throwing my drumset out the window and saying "screw it".

I'll NEVER be that good. Queston: What was up with the lead singer/guitarist's Kurt Cobain look?

MAN.......the whole band was so tight, and to be that tight on offbeat stuff like that.......just wow.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 4 2009, 07:34 AM)

OH MY. ohmy.gif

That was exceptional.

After seeing Gavin play like that, I thought about just throwing my drumset out the window and saying "screw it".

I'll NEVER be that good. Queston: What was up with the lead singer/guitarist's Kurt Cobain look?

MAN.......the whole band was so tight, and to be that tight on offbeat stuff like that.......just wow.

You must now purchase the "Arriving Somewhere..." DVD. I still watch regularly after two years.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 2 2009, 05:28 PM)

Cool, thanks.

The "Hit or miss" is most likely due to 2 different era's in PT's music. So if you like the heavier songs, then PT from "In-Absentia" (2002) onwards is for you. Don't bother about pre 2002 cause that's totally diffferent...

Most PT fans however like both.. But it may be good for you to work your way backwards!!..

QUOTE (Natch @ Dec 3 2009, 03:32 PM)
I'm still in the discovery phase with PT. I was only turned on to them a few months ago. I have six of their albums. There is so much material, and so little time!  laugh.gif

So far, I'm totally digging this band. Just picked up "The Sky Moves Sideways" last night.

I can't believe I hadn't heard of these guys until recently. I guess that's what I get for only listening to the radio. The new stuff I hear from mainstream FM radio is mostly crap.

Yeah, FM radio is mostly crap. I wouldn't have found out about PT without the Rush fans here, so thanks to all of you. biggrin.gif I saw Lasse Hoile's video for "Time Flies" at Boscov's department store on numerous TVs. I was shocked.

Edited by BB&B

Alright, guys. Come on, now. I check the PT website every day, and still no new dates. More specifically, no new dates that include D/FW. I've been a good girl, and I've been telling everyone I know to listen to Porcupine Tree. What does it take? sad.gif