Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 17 2009, 11:52 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 17 2009, 03:51 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 17 2009, 05:15 PM)
The record is fantastic.  That's a given I suppose.
Porcupine Tree is at The Warfield tomorrow night!!!

I CAN'T FRIGGING WAIT!!!!

1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif

1022.gif now, get on those steely dan tickets!

Hey bud!

No doubt about it!

Some of you guys truly know "The Real Me!" LOL

I do try to have a fun time. Life is too damn short.

The more shows I can see the better although Wendy would disagree!

For a second there after reading through some of this thread I thought the PT show was tonight!

I almost had a slight stroke but then I looked at my tickets.

It's tomorrow night for sure!

Going to see Chickenfoot and Queensryche next Friday on Sept 25th.

Then my buddy's Rush Tribute Band on the 26th in my hometown of Concord!

You all know him!!

Well Tangy, five nights of Steely Dan would be great but there's no way I can pull that off.

I am going to the first show in San Jose.

It's the same venue where Dream Theater played.

It's the AJA album that night.

Can't miss that one.

Too bad Steve Gadd isn't showing up to play that night!!

ROCK ON!!!

1022.gif

Earl

good deal! glad you are catching an AJA night. Should be great. I guess the tour is doing well as they keep adding more dates.

Uh oh, after about 10 listens, I don't see a 5 star rating. While the band did take some chances and try some new things, I am not finding this come close to the strength of the last two releases. Hopefully in time I will change my mind. The weak spot to me is the songwriting and lack of explosive GH drumming we've previously heard.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 18 2009, 08:45 AM)
Uh oh, after about 10 listens, I don't see a 5 star rating. While the band did take some chances and try some new things, I am not finding this come close to the strength of the last two releases. Hopefully in time I will change my mind. The weak spot to me is the songwriting and lack of explosive GH drumming we've previously heard.

It does seem that Gavin is running out of tricks. Maybe he spent too much time touring with KC and not enough time writing? Still solid though. I like this disc a lot and am confident that it will continue to grow on me.

The acoustic guitar on time flies is fantastic. Somewhat hypnotic.

Prior to hearing this disc i read a bunch of reviews and a lot of comments of how the incident sounds pink floydish and in particular like animals. Having heard the incident, the disc does have a floyd vibe IMO as did several of their earlier discs.

It even goes as far as the lyrics being "after awhile" which i associate with floyd.

So is the new dream theater more of a rip off of rush or is the new PT more of a rip off of floyd? Whose influence on whom is more obvious to you?

People were crying about DT ripping off rush here at TRF. Maybe I should go to a pink floyd forum and see if people are crying about PT ripping off Floyd.

It sounds as though you guys don't like that they haven't offered up more of the same from their past CDs. I like that they didn't. I like that it isn't crammed with crazy drumming, or crazy keys, or crazy guitars, or any other one thing. I was actually thinking that they all sound about as good as I've heard them. And, while it has elements from their different phases, as a whole it's unlike anything they've done before. The more I listen to it the more I believe that.

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 18 2009, 10:50 AM)

It does seem that Gavin is running out of tricks. Maybe he spent too much time touring with KC and not enough time writing? Still solid though. I like this disc a lot and am confident that it will continue to grow on me.

Prior to hearing this disc i read a bunch of reviews and a lot of comments of how the incident sounds pink floydish and in particular like animals. Having heard the incident, the disc does have a floyd vibe IMO as did several of their earlier discs.

It even goes as far as the lyrics being "after awhile" which i associate with floyd.

So is the new dream theater more of a rip off of rush or is the new PT more of a rip off of floyd? Whose influence on whom is more obvious to you?

People were crying about DT ripping off rush here at TRF. Maybe I should go to a pink floyd forum and see if people are crying about PT ripping off Floyd.

This is part of the reason, PT sounding like Pink Floyd, that I don't find the new release as strong as other releases. But frankly, Dream Theater is comprised of trained musicians, for the most part. I don't believe any of the Porcupine Tree members attending music school. We really can't compare bands in that respect.

Edited by Gompers

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 18 2009, 12:42 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 18 2009, 10:50 AM)

This is part of the reason, PT sounding like Pink Floyd, that I don't find the new release as strong as other releases. But frankly, Dream Theater is comprised of trained musicians, for the most part. I don't believe any of the Porcupine Tree members attending music school. We really can't compare bands in that respect.

I think I lost you with the trained VS untrained point?

I like both of those releases. To me its way to early to really know where The Incident will eventually rank in the PT catalog for me. I've probably listened to it 12 to 15 times. Obviously as a PT disc its gonna sound somewhat like their earlier discs.

To me the "freshest" or "newest" sounding song on TI is Bonnie The Cat? (edit- musically speaking/the second half when things pick up)

and remember:

denial is a better way of getting through another day...... 1022.gif

Edited by tangy

I guess I was expecting something a little different...more along the line of the last three records.

The more I listen, the more I like...

QUOTE (MrHands @ Sep 18 2009, 02:17 PM)
I guess I was expecting something a little different...more along the line of the last three records.

The more I listen, the more I like...

yeah it gets better every listen. its a lot to digest at once. i burned both discs onto one disc and hit repeat..........

my faves are the blind house, the incident, time flies, octane twisted, flicker, and bonnie the cat.

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 18 2009, 04:37 AM)

Hey bud!

No doubt about it!

For a second there after reading through some of this thread I thought the PT show was tonight!

You all know him!!

Well Tangy, five nights of Steely Dan would be great but there's no way I can pull that off.

Can't miss that one.

ROCK ON!!!

1022.gif

Earl

good deal! glad you are catching an AJA night. Should be great. I guess the tour is doing well as they keep adding more dates.

Thanks Tangy!

Wish I could do all five nights!

Even I'm not made of that much money or free time!

I noticed the ripoff debate on here.

You know I love teasing Dream Theater fans on here for the bands constant copycat Rush influence.

It's all in fun because you know that I still support DT despite tearing them a new arsehole.

I guess you could make the argument about Porcupine Tree ripping of Pink Floyd.

Hey, I say let the haters fire away.

It's only opinions on music that we all love or hate.

It's impossible to have everyone on a Forum agree to everything musically, hell that's why I come here.

I like to "rock the boat" so to speak but only to spark conversation and emotion.

Fukk it buddy!

I love PORCUPINE TREE!

Life goes on................................................................................................

PT AT THE WARFIELD TONIGHT!

Cheers!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 18 2009, 03:04 PM)

Hey bud!

No doubt about it!

You all know him!!

Can't miss that one.

ROCK ON!!!

1022.gif

Earl

Thanks Tangy!

You know I love teasing Dream Theater fans on here for the bands constant copycat Rush influence.

It's all in fun because you know that I still support DT despite tearing them a new arsehole.

It's impossible to have everyone on a Forum agree to everything musically, hell that's why I come here.

I like to "rock the boat" so to speak but only to spark conversation and emotion.

Fukk it buddy!

I love PORCUPINE TREE!

Life goes on................................................................................................

Cheers!

trink39.gif

not much of a debate, more of an thought but i did want to plant that seed.....

kind of "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" type of deal.

I am not sure what I should be more jealous of, you seeing PT tonight or the AJA show? The dan killed it in June when i saw them. Oh yeah, ozric tentacles were great when i saw them a few weeks ago. lots of older material. BTBAM on Halloween!

Drive safe and have a stellar experience at the PT show tonight!

trink39.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 18 2009, 01:48 PM)

Hey bud!

No doubt about it!

You all know him!!

Can't miss that one.

ROCK ON!!!

1022.gif

Earl

Thanks Tangy!

Fukk it buddy!

I love PORCUPINE TREE!

Cheers!

trink39.gif

I am not sure what I should be more jealous of, you seeing PT tonight or the AJA show? The dan killed it in June when i saw them. Oh yeah, ozric tentacles were great when i saw them a few weeks ago. lots of older material. BTBAM on Halloween!

trink39.gif 1022.gif

Hey dude!

Nice seed planting!!!

I like doing that too! laugh.gif

Well thanks to you I will see that Steely Dan show!

Glad to hear that the band nailed down AJA.

Who is on drums these days Tang, do you know?

Yeah I'm so pumped to see Porcupine Tree tonight!

It's like seeing Radiohead, I mean The Beatles, I mean Muse, I mean.......

One of my best buddies is driving Wendy and I into the City!

That means I can drink lots of beer while watching my second favorite band on the earth!!

Sweet!

Cheers!!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 18 2009, 03:58 PM)

Hey bud!

No doubt about it!

You all know him!!

Can't miss that one.

ROCK ON!!!

1022.gif

Earl

Thanks Tangy!

Fukk it buddy!

I love PORCUPINE TREE!

Cheers!

trink39.gif

trink39.gif 1022.gif

Hey dude!

Nice seed planting!!!

That means I can drink lots of beer while watching my second favorite band on the earth!!

Sweet!

Cheers!!

trink39.gif

Keith Carlock is the drummer. As you know amazing.

I know how pumped you are for PT and know you are in for a real treat. I saw them once and hopefully next spring. SW is a genius and just read a rumor that he has contacted Alex to remaster the rush catalog!

Enjoy! 1022.gif

Arriving somewhere but not with beer.....

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 18 2009, 02:25 PM)
Gompers, what's with the super-wide playlist sig banners? They're throwing off the post tables. Stop listening to Mozart with those long-ass song titles! laugh.gif

doh.gif

Maybe I should listen to a band with a short name...like U2.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Sep 16 2009, 08:41 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 16 2009, 11:31 AM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Sep 16 2009, 11:23 AM)
I only know one song on that list.  laugh.gif

You know two -- "Muzak," and the middle section of "Anesthetize." And if you've listened to all of FoaBP you'll know track 5, "Way Out Of Here." Go to PT's site and find the live video for that song. It's better than the studio version, and Gavin just kills on it.

http://www.porcupinetree.com/index.cfm

Oh yeah what was I thinking. I've been listening to Anesthetize alot - I don't know why that escaped me.

I really don't know Way Out Of Here that well at all. I'd have to play it to recognize it. I can't recall it in my head.

**which I just did as I'm typing** and AH!! Yeah I do know this one.

Way Out Of Here might just be my favorite PT song, especially that heavy mid section where Gavin goes nuts.

Finally got The Incident and trying to absorb it. It's pretty ambitious, and really good. Has anyone mentioned that Time Flies seems to be inspired by Pink Floyd's "Dogs"?

They are here in L.A. Sunday night. I'm gonna try to make it.

EDIT: after browsing the thread it appears there have been quite a few Floyd comparisons. The only song that really sounds Floydish to me is Time Flies.

Edited by Rushman14

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 18 2009, 02:08 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 18 2009, 03:58 PM)

Hey bud!

No doubt about it!

You all know him!!

Can't miss that one.

ROCK ON!!!

1022.gif

Earl

Thanks Tangy!

Fukk it buddy!

I love PORCUPINE TREE!

Cheers!

trink39.gif

trink39.gif 1022.gif

Hey dude!

Nice seed planting!!!

Sweet!

Cheers!!

trink39.gif

Keith Carlock is the drummer. As you know amazing.

I know how pumped you are for PT and know you are in for a real treat. I saw them once and hopefully next spring. SW is a genius and just read a rumor that he has contacted Alex to remaster the rush catalog!

Enjoy! 1022.gif

Arriving somewhere but not with beer.....

Thanks Tang!

Damn "Time flies when you are having fun!"

Well not really!

Dude!

I had a blowout on the freeway! My back left tire blew out!

I was sooooo fukking stressed out but I was able to change my tire with my back to oncoming cars.

Scary shit but I survived.

Just got home man.

Wish me more good luck out there on the roads.

Glad I'm not driving tonight!!

trink39.gif

Personally I don't care what PT plays after "The Incident."

You can't go wrong with anything this band does!

TREE ON!!!

Earl

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 18 2009, 03:11 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 18 2009, 03:51 PM)
Steven Wilson gets violent with a hammer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDGLtorAjVg

The man hates iPods.........

The documentary for his solo album had him among others destroying many, many iPods through various different methods.

Cool!

I HATE IPODS TOO!

I sure love my iPhone though!

Ciao!