Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 22 2009, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (vaportrail @ Apr 22 2009, 03:18 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 19 2009, 07:59 PM)
QUOTE (vaportrail @ Apr 17 2009, 07:41 PM)

Good thing my girlfriend just agreed to fly to NYC with me for (hopefully) both NYC shows and Philly!

if ya wanna grab a beer before the N.Y show. send me a p.m.

1022.gif

Might be able to swing it, we're flying in thursday morning/early afternoon, so we might have to be right to the gig. If there's a friday show however I know we'll be having a bit PT get-together near the venue, you'll have to stop on by if you're going to that one as well!

no friday show for me but there is a bar right around the corner from the show. we can meet for a quick trink38.gif before, let me know

1022.gif

will do!

PT fanboy here. They can just about do no wrong. However, I still don't care for the new SW release much.

my bud just told me KINGS X is opening the show i am going to. now he wants to go. i have not seen KINGS X since 1988

1022.gif

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 15 2009, 07:01 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ May 15 2009, 01:40 PM)
my bud just told me KINGS X is opening the show i am going to. now he wants to go. i have not seen KINGS X since 1988
1022.gif

Which show and where, bro?

What time, what theater, how many tix left?

sept 24th terminal 5 n.y.

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 15 2009, 09:38 PM)
1022.gif

Oh, dang. That's quite a while away, son. Just do me a solid and explain where this 'Terminal 5' is close to or around. General proximities. And, then tell me what time you would like to meet up and hit the bar prior to the gig. And, also, tell me what kinda story yer planning on telling the other, prior ticket-holder, before me entering the picture and moving in to nab that little rectangular thang....Nah, but really, what's the deal with the tix? Gotta go through TM or through the venue itself? A PT and KX show. I can't mess this one up. Can I? I'm sure I can. Just don't wanna.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 16 2009, 02:12 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ May 15 2009, 09:38 PM)
1022.gif

Oh, dang. That's quite a while away, son. Just do me a solid and explain where this 'Terminal 5' is close to or around. General proximities. And, then tell me what time you would like to meet up and hit the bar prior to the gig. And, also, tell me what kinda story yer planning on telling the other, prior ticket-holder, before me entering the picture and moving in to nab that little rectangular thang....Nah, but really, what's the deal with the tix? Gotta go through TM or through the venue itself? A PT and KX show. I can't mess this one up. Can I? I'm sure I can. Just don't wanna.

the venue is a shithole. it is on w56st right of the west side highway. there is a bar right around the corner

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 1 2009, 06:48 PM)
Holy Crap PT news has been quiet as of late...

I want news on the new album!!!!!! fists crying.gif fists crying.gif fists crying.gif fists crying.gif fists crying.gif fists crying.gif fists crying.gif fists crying.gif

I would rather Mr. Wilson and company take their time and craft the album. FoaBP was good, but not the masterpiece In Absentia was. I'm hoping for a little less self-indulgence and more focus on the groove and song writing. And hopefully it will be another concept album with decent subject matter.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 2 2009, 07:25 AM)

I want news on the new album!!!!!! fists crying.gif  fists crying.gif  fists crying.gif  fists crying.gif  fists crying.gif  fists crying.gif  fists crying.gif  fists crying.gif

I would rather Mr. Wilson and company take their time and craft the album. FoaBP was good, but not the masterpiece In Absentia was. I'm hoping for a little less self-indulgence and more focus on the groove and song writing. And hopefully it will be another concept album with decent subject matter.

Few albums are the masterpiece that In Absentia was, so that's asking a lot. smile.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 2 2009, 09:20 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 2 2009, 07:25 AM)

I want news on the new album!!!!!! fists crying.gif  fists crying.gif  fists crying.gif  fists crying.gif  fists crying.gif  fists crying.gif  fists crying.gif  fists crying.gif

Few albums are the masterpiece that In Absentia was, so that's asking a lot. smile.gif

I agree, but we can hope.

Here's the deal as well. SW has been doing quite a bit of writing these past two years. I am hoping burn-out isn't pending. And GH has been guesting with more artists. These two gents aren't machines. In Absentia was possibly as brilliant as it was because it was Harrison's first release with PT and there was more than likely a flood of new ideas.

Well, you want a concept? The whole album is going to be one 50 minute piece laugh.gif Still unclear as to whether it's one 50 minute song or split into a song cycle.

Personally I think Insurgentes topped anything PT-wise since Stupid Dream songwriting wise.

I know they spent a good amount of time working on this as a band so hopefully there's more input from Richard and Colin on this one than Gavin 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (vaportrail @ Jun 2 2009, 10:40 AM)
Well, you want a concept? The whole album is going to be one 50 minute piece laugh.gif Still unclear as to whether it's one 50 minute song or split into a song cycle.

Personally I think Insurgentes topped anything PT-wise since Stupid Dream songwriting wise.

I know they spent a good amount of time working on this as a band so hopefully there's more input from Richard and Colin on this one than Gavin 062802puke_prv.gif

As long as it is not contrived and sounds effortless. While I like PT from Signify forward, I did not care for the SW release. Can't quite put my finger on it why outside of that collectively I didn't enjoy it.

The 50 minute epic? Well we'll yes have to see.

Now I like what GH offers and not so much Barberi, because it is too spacerock-ish. But Colin has created some infectious grooves in the past and that is something that Gavin usually gets into to. The move towards the metal sound has hurt that ability to lay down a happening bottom.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 2 2009, 10:03 AM)
Well, you want a concept?  The whole album is going to be one 50 minute piece laugh.gif  Still unclear as to whether it's one 50 minute song or split into a song cycle.

I know they spent a good amount of time working on this as a band so hopefully there's more input from Richard and Colin on this one than Gavin  062802puke_prv.gif

As long as it is not contrived and sounds effortless. While I like PT from Signify forward, I did not care for the SW release. Can't quite put my finger on it why outside of that collectively I didn't enjoy it.

Now I like what GH offers and not so much Barberi, because it is too spacerock-ish. But Colin has created some infectious grooves in the past and that is something that Gavin usually gets into to. The move towards the metal sound has hurt that ability to lay down a happening bottom.

Yeah, Colin has pretty much disappeared from the albums. SW and Gavin have written all of the lines on the last few albums.

and Richard, space rock? unsure.gif Nahhhhhh without his sounds and textures the music's flat. Sadly you can't hear them in the heavy stuff unless it's 5.1, in which case it's perfect. smile.gif

But I have a feeling that the heavy stuff won't be so heavy this time around, should be a nice change-up that they've needed.

QUOTE (vaportrail @ Jun 2 2009, 03:59 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 2 2009, 10:03 AM)
Well, you want a concept?  The whole album is going to be one 50 minute piece laugh.gif  Still unclear as to whether it's one 50 minute song or split into a song cycle.

I know they spent a good amount of time working on this as a band so hopefully there's more input from Richard and Colin on this one than Gavin  062802puke_prv.gif

Yeah, Colin has pretty much disappeared from the albums. SW and Gavin have written all of the lines on the last few albums.

and Richard, space rock? unsure.gif Nahhhhhh without his sounds and textures the music's flat. Sadly you can't hear them in the heavy stuff unless it's 5.1, in which case it's perfect. smile.gif

But I have a feeling that the heavy stuff won't be so heavy this time around, should be a nice change-up that they've needed.

Crossing my fingers. trink38.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 8 2009, 03:37 PM)
Gavin Harrison has been voted "Best Progressive Drummer" for the 3rd year in a row by Modern Drummer Magazine....

applaudit.gif  applaudit.gif  applaudit.gif  applaudit.gif  applaudit.gif  applaudit.gif  applaudit.gif  applaudit.gif  applaudit.gif  applaudit.gif  applaudit.gif  applaudit.gif  applaudit.gif  applaudit.gif  applaudit.gif  applaudit.gif

http://www.freedrumlessons.com/media/drummers/gavin-harrison-pic1.jpg

i think i am going to the listening party for it on tues in n.y. can't say i am that jacked about it but it should be cool

1022.gif