Absinthe

war2112

This is a potentially controversial question, since I know it's illegal at least here in the U.S., but where can it be found ? You, know, just out of curiousity wink.gif wink.gif

You can not buy Absinthe in the U.S., You can however get on the web and find several recipies for it. Be careful though the primary ingredient is wormwood (which I grow for this reason), and it can be toxic. Absinthe is the only hallucinogenic alcohol that I know of.

France sells Absinthe with the highest allowable parts per million of the chemical that is the hallucinogen. Britian also sells it. It is very bitter and should be poured thru a sugar cube first, then the cube is either dissolved in the drink or sucked on. See Dracula with gary oldman, thee is a scene with "the green fairy"

Thanks for the info, debe. Yeah, that wormwood could really do you in. I understand it can cause renal failure in high dosages. Of course, I'm interested in it because of the hallucinatory effects. I definitely would only try it the traditional way with the slotted spoon, sugar cube, and water. Perhaps I'll look into those recipes. I've brewed beer before, which actually turned out quite good.

I wondered if France was still producing. Anyway, thanks for the great info.

QUOTE (war2112 @ Jan 22 2005, 08:10 PM)
Thanks for the info, debe. Yeah, that wormwood could really do you in. I understand it can cause renal failure in high dosages. Of course, I'm interested in it because of the hallucinatory effects. I definitely would only try it the traditional way with the slotted spoon, sugar cube, and water. Perhaps I'll look into those recipes. I've brewed beer before, which actually turned out quite good.

And in high doses Taco Bell can cause anul failure. yes.gif 1287.gif unsure.gif

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Jan 22 2005, 11:11 PM)

And in high doses McDonald's can cause liver failure. See the movie "Super Size Me" for proof. 062802puke_prv.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

White Castles turns you into a human goose.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 23 2005, 05:03 AM)

And in high doses McDonald's can cause liver failure. See the movie "Super Size Me" for proof. 062802puke_prv.gif

Ah, but walking into a McDonalds invariably causes brain failure. I know, I used to work there.

..as you guys might know absinthe was what Van Gogh had had before he decided lopping off his ear was a good idea.

My mate Maff used to import it into the UK so I've had my fair share. Another way of preparing it is to carmalise sugar and then stir it into the drink. You caramelise the sugar by putting it onto a teaspoon and then putting a lighter under the teasponns., which can't help but put you in the mind of certian drug related rituals (which I really don't know anything about).

My most memorable experience on absinthe (and there are a few a can't) was being at a music festival and having a can of Red Bull in one hand and some absinthe in the other. we were off for a dance and I couldn't take both, so I poured some absinthe into my can of red Bull. Now I'm not saying the can got hot, but there was a definate thermo chemical reaction, the can became warm!! My friends and I knocked it back, danced our socks of for an hour and then crashed, quick up and a quick down !!

QUOTE (Disco @ Jan 23 2005, 04:26 PM)
..as you guys might know absinthe was what Van Gogh had had before he decided lopping off his ear was a good idea.

My mate Maff used to import it into the UK so I've had my fair share. Another way of preparing it is to carmalise sugar and then stir it into the drink. You caramelise the sugar by putting it onto a teaspoon and then putting a lighter under the teasponns., which can't help but put you in the mind of certian drug related rituals (which I really don't know anything about).

My most memorable experience on absinthe (and there are a few a can't) was being at a music festival and having a can of Red Bull in one hand and some absinthe in the other. we were off for a dance and I couldn't take both, so I poured some absinthe into my can of red Bull. Now I'm not saying the can got hot, but there was a definate thermo chemical reaction, the can became warm!! My friends and I knocked it back, danced our socks of for an hour and then crashed, quick up and a quick down !!

rofl3.gif

That's interesting about the reaction. Just goes to show you, be careful what you mix together. That reminds me of my days as an aspiring little chemist and some of the obnoxious fumes I prodoced. biggrin.gif

There's plenty of fun in a bottle of absinthe!!

When it was first shipped into the UK, about 5/6 years ago, the importers put on parties to get a buzz going about it - and also put on a free absinthe bar all night long.

Ho ho ho, I've never seen a party hoppin' like that one, it made New Orleans Mardi Gras look like a parson's picnic, oh yes indeedy.

Throw a free absinthe party yourself, get a few bottle in, and few peeps round to help themselves and enjoy a good night.

If you really get stuck finding any they sell in down the street here, so if it comes to it I might be able to ship a few bottles over

G

QUOTE (BigG @ Jan 24 2005, 08:21 AM)
There's plenty of fun in a bottle of absinthe!!

When it was first shipped into the UK, about 5/6 years ago, the importers put on parties to get a buzz going about it - and also put on a free absinthe bar all night long.

Ho ho ho, I've never seen a party hoppin' like that one, it made New Orleans Mardi Gras look like a parson's picnic, oh yes indeedy.

Throw a free absinthe party yourself, get a few bottle in, and few peeps round to help themselves and enjoy a good night.

If you really get stuck finding any they sell in down the street here, so if it comes to it I might be able to ship a few bottles over

G

Much appreciated, G, but I sure wouldn't want either one of us to wind up in the arms of Customs officials. I checked up and was surprised to learn how much absinthe is seized yearly by U.S. Customs. Interestingly enough, U.S. customs laws appear to ban everything but actual possession. They ban import, export, and sale, but basically say you can have it. Weird.

Absynthe is a wood alcohol drink. Wood alcohol is illegal for drinking in the US.

Has no one seen From Hell with Johnny Depp?

I have a mild interest, but it's the whole dying from taking it thing that puts me off it. That and I don't go for alcohol.

No heroin for me either.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jan 24 2005, 05:27 PM)
Absynthe is a wood alcohol drink. Wood alcohol is illegal for drinking in the US.
Has no one seen From Hell with Johnny Depp?

I have a mild interest, but it's the whole dying from taking it thing that puts me off it. That and I don't go for alcohol.
No heroin for me either.

Yeah, the whole dying form drinking it kind of puts me off too.

A co-workers family still makes it for themselves in Switzerland. Every now and then he or his father sneaks a bottle back into the US.

I've had a tiny sip - but not enough to feel any kind of effect.

ph34r.gif

There's a product of Mexico that you can only obtain in the Yucatan called Xtabintun (sp). This stuff has a white crusty sediment on the bottom that floats around if you shake it up & it will make you see things. It's unbelievable! Bad thing, the headache the next day... ouch! 062802puke_prv.gif There are several versions of this stuff, but the "real" gig has a greenish color to it & tastes like anise.

QUOTE (Disco @ Jan 23 2005, 04:26 PM)

True...Van Gogh was suffering from absinthism. Which the Taber's defines as "Deterioration of the nerve centers following excessive use of absinthe."

Key word EXCESSIVE. The Tabers defines absinthe as " A liquor containting oil of wormwood, anise and other herbs. It is highly toxic, esp. to the nervous system."

Everclear can be used as a distilling base for other liquors. It has the highest percentage of alcohol allowed in the U.S.

In "From Hell" Johnny Depp used Opium, I don't recall any absinthe use, I'll have to dig it out and rewatch.

Anywho, moderation is the key to everything.

Or if you prefer to avoid alcohol, you can always crossbreed your tomatoes with Jimson Weed. They are both members of the deadly nightshade family so they will produce a viable fruit. Warning though...that BLT will give you the most vivid hallucinations you've ever had, then it'll stop your heart.

We can get it here in Canada. It's $89 for a fifth. It's my understanding that the present day absinthe is not the real deal like it was when they made it back in the old times. It is said that the wormwood content is greatly decreased compared to the old world recipies.

I'd still like to try it though.