neils attitude to touring

tel

This topic comes up all the time and the debate will truly never be over. I find it unusual that when Neil wrote Roadshow he did all kinds of interviews about the book. I mean he was trying to sell the book so interviews were ok then. I remember Ged saying at the beginning of this tour that he was sure Neil would be doing more interviews now but that really still hasn't happened.

As previously said he does indeed stay in contact with the fans thru his website and books. Those ways obviously suit his personality vs. meeting the fans in person.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Feb 18 2008, 01:03 PM)
Listen up you all you Neil bashers:

You no NOTHING of the man. At the very least you all should be greatful that he has shared his incredible talent and poured his heart and soul into his work for the last 30+ years.

If you've nothing good to say, then save yourself some typing and do the rest of us a favor by shutting the f**k up.

To come on here and bitch and complain because you didn't get a hand shake or a smile makes YOU the complainer look like a JACKASS.

Pathetic ungreatful whiney little rats.

Please learn to spell. Neil won't like you if you can't spell.

QUOTE (fuzzface @ Feb 18 2008, 09:54 PM)

You no NOTHING of the man. At the very least you all should be greatful that he has shared his incredible talent and poured his heart and soul into his work for the last 30+ years.

If you've nothing good to say, then save yourself some typing and do the rest of us a favor by shutting the f**k up.

To come on here and bitch and complain because you didn't get a hand shake or a smile makes YOU the complainer look like a JACKASS.

There wasn't any need for that, was there?

It also says in Roadshow that even in the 70's when they would allow fans in at the end of the show to get autographs that he felt uneasy about it.

that's just part of his personality, he's shy and awkward in the presence of strangers, just because your the Best Drummer in the World with one of the Best bands in the World doesn't make things like that any easier.

I'd rather he was honest than be like some obnoxious f**k wits who put one album out & are so far up their own arses they think they're God!

QUOTE (Tom C @ Feb 17 2008, 04:00 PM)
QUOTE (Sign Of Eth @ Feb 17 2008, 04:29 PM)
I don't agree that he treats us fans like "garbage."

I do. He tried to hide from me when I was stalking him in a restaurant on a ferry.

It doesn't bother me either.

As a person Neil is quite garbage, but he happens to play drums quite well. How many of us are really good people???

What exactly makes Neil "Garbage" as a person?

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Feb 18 2008, 12:03 PM)

PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!!!! goodpost.gif

I have noticed that he is happier touring with Snakes and Arrows than with past tours. If you've read any of his books you'll know he refers to touring as "work"...which it is. But if you've read his "news, weather, and sports" section while this last tour was going on, he bareley made mention of touring as "work". He seems to really be enjoying playing the S&A material.

On another note....so what if Neil's is a private person, he has a right to be priave if he want's to, and it dosen't make him a jerk.

QUOTE (wrekinboy @ Feb 18 2008, 09:49 AM)
This thread probably says more about us than it does about Neil.

I bet that most of the posters who are unhappy with Neil not giving more of his time are the younger Rush fans, early in their own careers or maybe not working full time yet who think that being in a band is all gain and no pain.

Those saying Neil has no further obligation than the music are probably older Rush fans who have a well established job, know the pressures of work and have seen enough of life to know there are plenty of times when you just want to get it over with and have met enough jerks to know that keeping your distance is the best policy.

I'm the proof. 25 years ago I was desperate to meet the band, especially Neil, and pored over every interview, utterance that he produced. Now I can see what space he inhabits mentally and I respect him for being his own man.

Added to all that the misconception some people have that when Rush are playing a show they are just having a ball, no worries, what a fantastic job, great lifestyle etc. It's easy to forget that the show is physically and mentally draining, especially for Neil. They make it look easy but it's not. Other bands play shorter shows, have back up musicians, vocalists, tapes to help them. Rush do it all themselves with immense precision, timing and skill. Two of them have a demeanour that allows them to smile and laugh and goof while accomplishing all that - the other has a demeanour which is all about serious concentration.

So what if Neil is not as outgoing or upbeat in personality as Geddy and Alex - get over it. As I said, if that upsets you then it says more about yourself than it does about him.

You are right on my friend. Everyone should try playing a 3 hr show with the level of intensity that Neil does...night after night.

His job is playing music...executing as best he can...giving the audience a memorable experience. Nothing more...nothing less.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Feb 18 2008, 05:57 PM)

There wasn't any need for that, was there?

I don't know...For one of a person's first three posts it seems to exude quality and forethought. eh.gif sarcasm.gif eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (Docmilsap @ Feb 18 2008, 12:15 PM)
Imagine leaving to go to work and not getting back to your wife, home and your own bed for months on end......don't fancy that much, do you??

Another thing to remember is, whatever questions you will ask or "Man your great" kinda statement you would say to him (lets be honest, you aint gonnae say something totally original). Imagine hearing that time after time/night after night, especially when your missing your wife etc etc.
Neil more now than ever avoids publicity stuff to save him from any questions about the sad things that have happened to him over the years and let's be honest, he would be asked they questions....guaranteed.

And as far as looking grumpy during a show....I know what my face would look like if I was trying to do a million and one things at the same time, with the added pressure that your band mates are relying on you and there are 1000's of people wathching.

By the way, I sent my copy of Roadshow into the SECC in Glasgow and got it back less than a week later with a nice personalised message & signed by the man himself....not many "rock stars" would bother with doing that.

goodpost.gif I couldn't have said that better myself. I have been a fan 27 years. When I was 16, 18, 20, I was in a whole different place and attitude than I am at now at 43. I have a whole new appreciation for them now than I used to. Neil deserves our thanks for what he has given us. He is a regular person just like the rest of us, and he just happens to be a famous drummer, and happens to make alot of money. I for one, am happy for him and his accomplishments. I love the moment I open a new Rush cd, because I want to check out his latest piece of work, and enjoy his amazing talents that he brings to the table. Alex and Geddy are equally deserving of our thanks. Do we really realize just how damn lucky we are to have these guys with us???? Lets stop all the Bitching, and sit back and really think about why we all (in this forum, and millions more accross the world,) LOVE THIS BAND!!

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Edited by NISH2112

I read all Neil's books except for 1 (Traveling Music?). He comes across as a professional that wants to give the fans the best music he can. He respects his fans. That doesn't mean he wants to do all the hoopla that surrounds the music industry. Also, mentioned in his books is that it can be quite frightening to be followed by fans - no matter how well intentioned the fan might be.

If you read his books you know he can be a private person and prefers to be treated like an individual - not like the drummer from Rush. I know this from personal experience with him.

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Feb 18 2008, 09:50 AM)
Living on a lighted stage
Approaches the unreal
For those who think and feel
In touch with some reality
Beyond the gilded cage.

Cast in this unlikely role,
Ill-equipped to act,
With insufficient tact,
One must put up barriers
To keep oneself intact.

Living in the Limelight,
The universal dream
For those who wish to seem.

Those who wish to be
Must put aside the alienation,
Get on with the fascination,
The real relation,
The underlying theme.

Living in a fisheye lens,
Caught in the camera eye.
I have no heart to lie,
I can't pretend a stranger
Is a long-awaited friend.

All the world's indeed a stage,
And we are merely players,
Performers and portrayers,
Each another's audience
Outside the gilded cage.

That's awesome...

You should put some music around that and I think you'd have a hit on your hands!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Let me know if you need some help. I have a couple of ideas in my head already...

bolt.gif

He tours and he's been in the band for 34 years, other bands change drummers like Fridge changes underpants, yes I know that's a decent length of time for a drummer in a band but it's not 34 years is it? Just because he grumbles about touring and it gets reported, doesn't mean he's got a bad attitude, as long as he makes albums and tours what more do we want?

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 19 2008, 09:01 AM)
He tours and he's been in the band for 34 years, other bands change drummers like Fridge changes underpants, yes I know that's a decent length of time for a drummer in a band but it's not 34 years is it? Just because he grumbles about touring and it gets reported, doesn't mean he's got a bad attitude, as long as he makes albums and tours what more do we want?

You're just jealous yes.gif

Ducks don't get to wear underpants no.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 19 2008, 04:34 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 19 2008, 09:01 AM)

You're just jealous yes.gif

Ducks don't get to wear underpants no.gif

ohmy.gif wacko.gif angry.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Docmilsap @ Feb 18 2008, 04:51 PM)
QUOTE (softfilter @ Feb 18 2008, 08:28 PM)
QUOTE (Docmilsap @ Feb 18 2008, 01:15 PM)
Imagine leaving to go to work and not getting back to your wife, home and your own bed for months on end......don't fancy that much, do you??

Another thing to remember is, whatever questions you will ask or "Man your great" kinda statement you would say to him (lets be honest, you aint gonnae say something totally original). Imagine hearing that time after time/night after night, especially when your missing your wife etc etc.
Neil more now than ever avoids publicity stuff to save him from any questions about the sad things that have happened to him over the years and let's be honest, he would be asked they questions....guaranteed.

And as far as looking grumpy during a show....I know what my face would look like if I was trying to do a million and one things at the same time, with the added pressure that your band mates are relying on you and there are 1000's of people wathching.

By the way, I sent my copy of Roadshow into the SECC in Glasgow and got it back less than a week later with a nice personalised message & signed by the man himself....not many "rock stars" would bother with doing that.

The only problem i have with comments like this is, Alex and Geddy are going through the same thing(missing wives and family) and being told "Man your great" night after night. But they have to be available to the public and media night after night(meet & greets, interviews) I understand Neil should rightfully be cut some slack from what he went through in his life. But let's be honest, he's always been somewhat detached from public relations aspects from the beginning nothing new here.

Ged & Alex don't have a problem with doing all the interviews so why should you? Try & be as supportive of Neil as they are.

And if i'm not mistaken, is a meet & greet not about 30 seconds tops with no questions??

I don't have any problem with Alex and Geddy doing all the interviews, very appreciative they do matter of fact. It would drive me up the wall if this fabulous band's members were all isolated from public interaction.

I'm sorry, but the points you made about being away from love ones and being told your great and the burden of responsibilty of your job is the reason why Neil looks so glum. None are good excuses when the other two members carry the same responsibilty with what they do on stage i think it's equal between the three of them. And i'm sure Alex and Geddy get homesick also.And told there great a million times.(THEY ARE!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif ) I'm not one of those who is angered and pissed that Neil isn't more open with fans and not willing to make himself more available for interviews(Of course i wish he was) I except the fact that he's not. Rush fans can be nuts understand why he wouldn't want to expose himself to a ignorant comment by a insenstive jerk. But like i said he's always been like this to some degree avoiding fans and media since the bands early years. He has opened up more with this tour and does look like he's having fun on occasion. That's more then we should expect from him. Just think some folks go overboard either way on here ,why Neil dosen't has to be fan friendly OR why he should.

btw have to say it... meet & greets at least Alex and Geddy participate! tongue.gif pokey.gif

Edited by softfilter

agreed.

Neil bashers, stop worrying less about Neil and more about yourself.

Edited by hope70

QUOTE (RedGreen @ Feb 17 2008, 05:07 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Feb 17 2008, 05:40 PM)
Where are people getting this idea from that Neil has to wait after shows to say hello to everyone?

He's a musician, and after live shows and albums he doesn't have to give anything else to fans. And as far as 'we pay his wages' goes, our reward for that is having an album that we can enjoy for the rest of our lives.

Some fans are so ungrateful.

He doesn't have to do that, but why doesn't he ever do interviews or anything PR for the band. It's always Geddy and Alex. Would it really hurt the guy to come out and speak for 5 or 10 mins to the press or fans? They funny thing is that if he claims to have needed the money, yet can't do the little things to make the fans happy. He'll glad take our money though, because he needs it remember. Sure the guy is an amazing drummer, yes but that has nothing to do with his attitude/personality. He sould leave the BMW at home, this is a tour for the fans, not recreational fun.

In his books, he states that he made an agreement with Al and Geddy to not do PR and meet/greets because the subject always turns to his tragedies and he's beyond peeling open that chapter of his life everynight... respectfully so. So he doesn't do them.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Feb 18 2008, 06:22 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Feb 18 2008, 05:57 PM)

If you\'ve nothing good to say, then save yourself some typing and do the rest of us a favor by shutting the f**k up.

To come on here and bitch and complain because you didn\'t get a hand shake or a smile makes YOU the complainer look like a JACKASS.

Please learn to spell. Neil won\'t like you if you can\'t spell.

There wasn\'t any need for that, was there?

I don\'t know...For one of a person\'s first three posts it seems to exude quality and forethought. eh.gif sarcasm.gif eyesre4.gif

Thanks. That was Nickslikk2112/Tom C posting that comment really.

And I do think teh standard of spelling on this board needs improving, apart from the occasional typo.

QUOTE (gaijin97 @ Feb 18 2008, 12:05 PM)
"He doesn't have to do that, but why doesn't he ever do interviews or anything PR for the band...."

In some ways, I think Neil does more PR for the band than the other guys...he regularly posts to his blog...he's revealed some of his innermost feelings about other people, his work, the music (and thus himself) in his books. He just chooses to do it in a different way than most people...but that's also how he plays drums, composes lyrics and, most likely, lives his life. Not better, or worse...just different.

we know more about Neil than we do Geddy and Alex...

goodpost.gif

Anyone who says Neil treats his fans like garbage should be ashamed of themselves. Who here can honestly say they work harder than Neil on the job? He could've sold out years ago, but he still has artistic integrity. To me, his hard work and dedication to Rush is treating fans like gold, not garbage. If fact, if I was Neil and I read some of these whiney complaints I would sell my drums, move to Maui and give us all the finger. Whenever the media does an interview, they want to talk about the nasty negative stuff that happened 10-15 years ago no matter how great things are going now. I wouldn't do many interviews either. Look at Alice Cooper. He still gets bothered about the chicken he tossed in the audience in Toronto in like 1970. That's nearly 40 years ago. Stop and think about it. Be accepting of other people, especially if you haven't walked in their shoes!

dazed025.gif

Sigh.

This thread pops up every two weeks (or so it seems) since Ghost Rider was published, and the incredible irony in it is that if you read what Neil writes on the subject of touring (and "hitting things with sticks") - the guy is really trying to convey that while drumming is his passion, its also his job, and on top of the pressure of having to try to perform that job to the best of his abilities, night after night, "under the microscope" so-to-speak, he cannot lose sight of the fact that is still a job, it is repetitious, and for a largely private person, its also one that comes with its fair share of challenges - one of those is being perceived as ungrateful, uncaring, pretentious, egotistical etc. to the fans that don't simply come to see him perform, but that seem to think he owes them more somehow; that he should somehow not only play flawlessly most nights but that he somehow owes them more than just a great performance.

I agree with D-Rock here, check your expectations. Its no secret that the touring life is a grind. Maybe the perception is that the boys should kick back and have some Cheetohs backstage with the fans after the show and b.s. about the setlist or baseball and birdwatching. Check your expectations.

Neil is in a unique position to offer some perspective on the subject - thirty-some years of performing and touring and traveling and being sought after by the fans. What does he owe us? I gotta be honest here and say that some people need to get a grip on what they think they are owed.

Just to chime in here.

I think some people are taking this subject way to seriously, and I see a few people almost "answering" for Neil which I don't think is necessary.

I see both sides of the argument. I don't think the OP was bashing Neil. I can see where they were coming from as well.

Its obvious Neil IS a very private person, which is cool. Geddy doesn't seem to thrilled with interviews sometimes, which is cool. I think these guys benefit from having to be themselves/private citizens rather than a band who were out in the spotlight all the time, out hitting the clubs and mixing and mingling all the time with other big time people. That could either be a result of their private lives as well (or they were never invited!). So Neil maybe doesn't want to be "part of the spotlight" all the time. He literally goes to the beat of a different drum if I may say so. The song "Limelight" probably sums how he feels if I may say so.

Another problem, of course, with coming out to meet the fans after the shows is that these guys may not have the luxury of doing so with their travel logistics, and perhaps having to be somewhere at a certain time.

---

NOW.... to what the OP was asking about, with Neil almost "seeming" unhappy during a show. I see where they are coming from, because someone might think they just paid to see someone looked ticked off. Not really enjoying to pay to see someone look so mad, especially at a rock concert.

I won't do what some people do and try to give a "meaningful, in-depth explanation" for what Neil or anyone else in the band does, almost as though they are trying to speak like they ARE Neil. I'm not uptight like that.

So my theory? I think he's just a fairly stern man in his demeanor. Simple. Perhaps only smilies when he sees a reason to. But otherwise, he's just playing, observing the audience while doing so, then gets off stage and rides off to his next destination. Other drummers may have different attitudes or other demeanors while on stage. No one is better or worse than the other for it. Everyone is different. Simple.

For those who are saying "He doesn't NEED to come out and mingle with the fans or do anything. Isn't playing enough?" Come on, while I agree with that, you guys know you would be the first in line at a meet and greet with him and would hope to speak to him again in the future, rather than saying "I refuse to meet Neil, he already did a show and I don't NEED him to come out and talk to me or sign my stuff. He shouldn't even bother."

Edited by WickedYoungMan