neils attitude to touring

tel

QUOTE (RedGreen @ Feb 17 2008, 04:17 PM)
It's certainly no secret he is miserable and grumpy. Us fans pay his wages, it's not fair to treat us like garbage, and hide his face, run to the BMW, and whatnot. Lots of famous musicians who have had contact with him can vouch for that also.

When I pay for a ticket to a Rush concert, I expect nothing more than 3 hours of wonderfully executed music. I really don't care how fast Neil sprints to his BMW after the show.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, we all know exactly how Neil feels touring, pumping out 3 hours shows* night after night because we're all famous musicians who do the same, right? sarcasm.gif We have every right to call him miserable or whatever because we've all been in those shoes before.

*Excuse me, 3 hours plus a drum solo that would put most of our own workouts to shame!

QUOTE (Tom C @ Feb 17 2008, 10:00 PM)
QUOTE (Sign Of Eth @ Feb 17 2008, 04:29 PM)
I don't agree that he treats us fans like "garbage."

I do. He tried to hide from me when I was stalking him in a restaurant on a ferry.

It doesn't bother me either.

As a person Neil is quite garbage, but he happens to play drums quite well. How many of us are really good people???

But isn't that a little lousy on your part? I mean Neil wasn't even in a situation where he could be expected to speak to fans. I mean that was his private time, right?

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Feb 17 2008, 06:34 PM)
Yes, we all know exactly how Neil feels touring, pumping out 3 hours shows* night after night because we're all famous musicians who do the same, right? sarcasm.gif We have every right to call him miserable or whatever because we've all been in those shoes before.

*Excuse me, 3 hours plus a drum solo that would put most of our own workouts to shame!

Well lets not forget that we pay big dollars to see that also. Yes generally they do put on a great show for us, but if Neil doesn't like touring then why is he doing it? for the money! To say he hates touring, what does that tell us fans? I don't really appreciate his attitude, trying to get off the stage as fast as he can, hiding his face and whatnot. Anyways this thread is about his attitude towards touring, and there isn't much to debate what kind of attitude he has. The guy should lighten up and show some appreciation for his fans, as I'm sure he is lining his retirement funds account and investments with our money.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Feb 17 2008, 11:43 PM)

I do. He tried to hide from me when I was stalking him in a restaurant on a ferry.

As a person Neil is quite garbage, but he happens to play drums quite well. How many of us are really good people???

But isn't that a little lousy on your part? I mean Neil wasn't even in a situation where he could be expected to speak to fans. I mean that was his private time, right?

eyesre4.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (RedGreen @ Feb 17 2008, 11:44 PM)
Well lets not forget that we pay big dollars to see that also. Yes generally they do put on a great show for us, but if Neil doesn't like touring then why is he doing it? for the money! To say he hates touring, what does that tell us fans? I don't really appreciate his attitude, trying to get off the stage as fast as he can, hiding his face and whatnot. Anyways this thread is about his attitude towards touring, and there isn't much to debate what kind of attitude he has. The guy should lighten up and show some appreciation for his fans, as I'm sure he is lining his retirement funds account and investments with our money.

Mate, back in the 70s and 80s you probably wouldn't have even KNOWN about his attitude as there was no internet where every utterance, grunt and indeed fart can be picked over by any cyber-vulture that cares to do so.

Ok, there are his books. I personally don't really like them, but thats not because they whinge about touring , it's because he's not a very good writer.

Again, I couldn't give a gnats chuff about why he tours. His feelings on the matter are pretty irrelevant.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 17 2008, 11:46 PM)

eyesre4.gif laugh.gif

Haha. I know it's useless arguing with Tom and he'll probably get me up against the wall next time he sees me at a Bravado (Rush tribute show) which will be unexpected because I can't remember what he looks like. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

But c'mon! If you're in a restaurant and like Neil you're a quiet guy who doesn't go out of his way for attention you're gonna be there for a meal and that's all. If someone notices you and says "Hi Neil" fair enough return that but Tom's use of the word "stalking" has different connotations. Neil had every right to hide from the guy if that's his way of dealing with it. I can think of all too many rock stars who would've told him to f**k off and maybe even got aggressive about it. smile.gif

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Feb 17 2008, 11:54 PM)

eyesre4.gif laugh.gif

Haha. I know it's useless arguing with Tom and he'll probably get me up against the wall next time he sees me at a Bravado (Rush tribute show) which will be unexpected because I can't remember what he looks like. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

But c'mon! If you're in a restaurant and like Neil you're a quiet guy who doesn't go out of his way for attention you're gonna be there for a meal and that's all. If someone notices you and says "Hi Neil" fair enough return that but Tom's use of the word "stalking" has different connotations. Neil had every right to hide from the guy if that's his way of dealing with it. I can think of all too many rock stars who would've told him to f**k off and maybe even got aggressive about it. smile.gif

I was laughing because I think you will find Tom C was joking wink.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 17 2008, 11:55 PM)
QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Feb 17 2008, 11:54 PM)

eyesre4.gif laugh.gif

I was laughing because I think you will find Tom C was joking wink.gif

Aww f**k. and I can't go back and edit it cuz you quoted it all. laugh.gif

bolt.gif

Edited by TheRocinanteKid

QUOTE (daveyt @ Feb 18 2008, 12:21 AM)
QUOTE (Tom C @ Feb 17 2008, 03:00 PM)

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Don't laugh! Just makes me look even more of an idiot! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (wots...uh the deal @ Feb 17 2008, 06:27 PM)
After over 30 years of uncanny playing and touring, I very much doubt Neil needs extra money by now... so he isn't exactly forced to to continue playing is he? But he is, so despite the fact he seems to dislike touring or whatever, he still obvisouly enjoys creating and playing music...
and do we need more than that?

Well, I believe he said something about needing the money in one of his books (so I'm told), I haven't read any of his books................

QUOTE (RedGreen @ Feb 17 2008, 04:44 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Feb 17 2008, 06:34 PM)
Yes, we all know exactly how Neil feels touring, pumping out 3 hours shows* night after night because we're all famous musicians who do the same, right?  sarcasm.gif  We have every right to call him miserable or whatever because we've all been in those shoes before.

goodpost.gif

It is well publicised that Neil isnt always the biggest fan of touring, or indeed fans. But he has done it for 35 years so it cant be that bad for him.

To my mind the man has given me so many hours of pleasure listening to the band along with Alex and Geddy of course, so he has paid me back many times over to my mind. He doesnt need to do anything else to my mind.

I don't think it really matters whether or not Neil loves or hates the fans. He probably sees most of us with the same perspective he sees anyone he doesn't know - ambivalence. I'm very, VERY unlikely to meet him personally, let alone get to know him, so my opinion is pretty much the same in return.

But then, the whole thing is just business. I pay for a ticket and I get a great show in return. I don't have to like him (or Ged, or Al) in order for that to be a fair exchange. I'm not paying for him to be my friend, just to see the concert or read his books

Naturally, I wouldn't turn down a friendship with him (or Ged, or Al) if the opportunity arose but, like I said, that's extremely unlikely so it doesn't figure into my expectations. Just play good music and write good lyrics and books and I'll be happy.

I think everyone that's posted in this topic bring up some nice valid points. I can see why knowing Neil is a grump when on tour can be a little bit of a bummer but you have to remember that you don't know them personally, and they dont know you. They're just there to play music for us, not be our friends.

I see alot of "the band needs to repay us ect" and they do. They do by taking the time to tour. This means they leave their family and friends just to rock out for us. At their age, that's a pretty decent thing to do to begin with. Thats enough for me. I think you guys expect to much outta these guys.

The simple fact that Neil even made a come back after what happened is just insane. That's his gift to the fans. He doesn't need to say or do jack crap for any of us. as long as they keep rockin, I'll be happy.

Long live 2.gif