Rush Music Turned into a Movie?

Jen Sawyer

Well, here's an interesting article I just came across with a neat little Rush inclusion...

10 Other Bands Whose Music We'd Like To See Turned Into a Movie

Rush is number one! cool.gif

1. Rush - It's hard not to cheat since some of the Canadian supergroup's classic albums from the '70s tell entire stories on their own. But we'll bypass 2112 mysticism to cobble together a post-modern story of an oppressed society ("Red Sector A") ruled by evil corporations ("The Big Money") which inspires an impressionable, young kid ("Tom Sawyer") to break free of his shackles ("New World Man") through the power of music ("Spirit of Radio," "Limelight")... and a fast car ("Red Barchetta"). OK, fine, and then he goes into space ("Cygnus X-1"). Think The Matrix with singing.

Creative concept! What do you guys think? Can anybody else come up with a different idea? smile.gif

I noticed in the link you posted that it said that you would be doing the same thing as they did with "Across the Universe" and Beatles Music.

I must say I loved "ATU". I thought the music was done really well, and I loved that the characters were named after the music itself as well. I have to agree I would be intrested to see this done with Rush music.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Feb 16 2008, 11:32 PM)
I noticed in the link you posted that it said that you would be doing the same thing as they did with "Across the Universe" and Beatles Music.

I must say I loved "ATU". I thought the music was done really well, and I loved that the characters were named after the music itself as well. I have to agree I would be intrested to see this done with Rush music.

As long as they aren't covers

QUOTE (jonfiredaman02 @ Feb 17 2008, 04:16 AM)
I want to see it.

But I think a 2112 movie would be pretty awesome too

Queen's We Will Rock You pretty much covered the story of 2112. I think if it ever got turned into a movie they'd opt for Queen's music instead since it's much more accessable and widely known.

With a little creative licence, 2112 could be made into a great movie set in the present. Here is how I set it up:

It's the year 2012; our country, our world has been taken over by hyper-corporate, hyper-moral interests (not so far fetched). These interests have infiltrated every facet of daily life. The Internet has been sold to the highest bidder slowing information to a crawl.

Our hero is a 15-17 year old kid. Average in every way.

2112 opens with a television newscast playing in the background of a typical suburban family room. We see our hero walking through the family room, up the stairs to an attic where he rummages through some old family memorobillia. (you can still hear the news in the background). Among other things, our hero finds a vinal copy of 2112 and a dusty old Gibson 335 (white with the tailpiece and gold hardware of course). He takes what he's found to an old friend in 'the city' who tell the boy how things used to be and how one guitar can change the world...(scene 2 later!)

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Feb 17 2008, 03:03 PM)
With a little creative licence, 2112 could be made into a great movie set in the present. Here is how I set it up:

It's the year 2012; our country, our world has been taken over by hyper-corporate, hyper-moral interests (not so far fetched). These interests have infiltrated every facet of daily life. The Internet has been sold to the highest bidder slowing information to a crawl.

Our hero is a 15-17 year old kid. Average in every way.

2112 opens with a television newscast playing in the background of a typical suburban family room. We see our hero walking through the family room, up the stairs to an attic where he rummages through some old family memorobillia. (you can still hear the news in the background). Among other things, our hero finds a vinal copy of 2112 and a dusty old Gibson 335 (white with the tailpiece and gold hardware of course). He takes what he's found to an old friend in 'the city' who tell the boy how things used to be and how one guitar can change the world...(scene 2 later!)

I dunno man. Seems a little cheesy. Maybe it would work as a kid's movie but even if they did use the basic storyline they'd never go for the music of Rush because it's just not well known enough to the majority of 11 year olds today. What you've said is a lot like the musical We Will Rock You... and Queen would work better if they wanted the movie to be a success.

There are a lot of Rush songs that could be used as the entire basis for a movie. Imho the one with the most 'meat' behind them which easily lends itself to a movie format would be Ghost Rider . The book is already there with it's travelogue storyline along with North America being it's backdrop. It's just a matter of Peart being that more open about his personal life and allowing it to be a movie. And, 'no' I'm not saying it should be done. I'm just saying it easily could be done

QUOTE (missionman @ Feb 17 2008, 01:20 PM)
QUOTE (jonfiredaman02 @ Feb 16 2008, 10:16 PM)
I want to see it.

But I think a 2112 movie would be pretty awesome too

me too

Any Rush movie would be awesome!

I actually was just thinking of this today while listening to Red Barchetta. They could have a movie at a country place many years in the future, and they go to the barn get the car, spruce it up, and then have a epic car chase scene. That would be worth the 11 bucks to see a movie. But they would have to have cameos of the boys. I vote for Neil to fly by on his BMW 1200!

Tai Shan, The Movie!

Starring Brad Pitt as the lonesome traveler in a far away land...

Crap '7 Years in Tibet' has already bombed! They would never do THAT again.

How about 'Superconductor' The Movie:

Starring Adrian Brody as a...No that would suck too.

How about 'The Pass' The Movie:

Starring Some Unknown Loser

Now we're talking!

How about 'By Tor and the Snow Dog' The Movie:

Starring; By Tor and the Snow Dog--I guess that's kinda been done?

How about 'I Think I'm Goin' Bald'; The Movie:

Starring John Cusak--I just think this sounds like one for J.C. don't you?

How about YYZ The Movie:

YES! a movie about landing at a Canadian airport. Starring Dave Foley, Mike Meyers and Eugene Levy.

God Damn, I can't stop!!

How about 'Roll the Bones' The Movie:

Starring the whole gang from Oceans 11, 12, and 13.

How about: 'Ghost of a Chance'; The Movie:

Starring Forrest Whittiker--We'll have to re-name this one 'Ghost Dog of a Chance'

HW

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Feb 17 2008, 10:32 AM)
There are a lot of Rush songs that could be used as the entire basis for a movie. Imho the one with the most 'meat' behind them which easily lends itself to a movie format would be Ghost Rider . The book is already there with it's travelogue storyline along with North America being it's backdrop. It's just a matter of Peart being that more open about his personal life and allowing it to be a movie. And, 'no' I'm not saying it should be done. I'm just saying it easily could be done

goodpost.gif

i have to agree with you JB.

I think this would make an awesome movie.

Archived