poor ticket sales

pony2112

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (bruggy66 @ Feb 14 2008, 06:43 AM)

Let's face it, with all of the bad news on the economy, the news media talking about recession constantly, and the $3.00 per gallon gas prices, people may not be willing to spend the extra money right now. All of the hardcores have bought their tickets by now, so hopefully some of the casual fans will trickle in later once the weather warms up and people start thinking about getting out of the house.

hey, we are paying about $10/gallon petrol prices over here (UK) but i'd still drive Lands End to John 'o' Groats to see Rush in 2008 b_sigh.gif

Mix a little high ticket price, with the fact that they were just here last year, with the fact that they only draw x amount of people per city, and you have what we have. Look, MANY bands half their age are playing small clubs, smaller fairgrounds, etc., or not at all. Given Rush's age, and the fact that their music is farther from pop than its ever been (when as Neil says it was cool to be a Rush fan, c. 1980, I remember they routinely sold out 2 shows at my arena), I think its impressive that theyre still a headlining act for whcih we do not have to endure an opening act, and they havent sold their souls to the highest bidder like some other bands their age have done.

I wish they would have opted to do a smaller venue tour this go around. There are venues all over the country similiar to the tabernacle here in atlanta that are very small but carry some big acts from time to time. We saw stone temple pilots there when Wieland got out of rehab the first time and that was a kick ass show. I saw G3 at the tabernacle and got to witness the second best drummer in the world Portnoy. He played with John Petrucci. It would be awesome to see the boys in a smaller setting like that.

It seems pretty crazy that they are repeating dates from last year and the sales reflect a lack of interest. Why not try new cities they havent played in many years (Memphis for one, Im not driving to St Louis for a concert with gas the price it is, and the ticket price is silly), or places they have never been too. If the ticket slaes are so weak, it would seem they have little to lose.

In so many ways I applaud the promoters/powers that be, That they included The Canadian city's that they missed last round, and will perform, especially western Canada...Edmonton, Regina/Winnipeg and Vancouver. I am sure they are aware that the numbers may be low, however they are doing them for the fans

Calgary had quite a solid 12 thousand plus show, with many diehards from other parts of Canada in attendance. And with Geddy's enthusiasm to photograph many people in the first 10 rows showed that. They had fun, and all of us that attended did too!!

Calgary was the best show I have ever seen, and the best show I have ever seen with the best sound. Even though the spinning drumkit was a little faulty, it made no matter.

I think the Red Rocks show in Colorado this June will be my best musical experience ever. If anyone is flying solo let me know if you would like to split a room. I am 38, honest and love Rush fans!!

Mike

Was surprised that they were doing another run on Snakes, frankly.

Sub-par ticket sales in secondary markets is likely due to repeat performances in those markets and increased prices.

Saw this when they came back to MSG last September after they did shows at Jones Beach, PNC, Camden and Mohegan Sun last summer, had friends who walked up day of show and scored very good seats (at a face of $125 per.)

Am a huge fan, haven't missed a tour since Moving Pictures, and unlike tours past, I'll only catch 1 or 2 shows in my area of NY/NJ/CT instead of 4 or 5 like in years past. Comes down to 1) dollars and cents and 2) seeing largely the same set list every night.

This time around, I am bypassing the local shows and headed to San Juan for opening night. Seeing one of the greatest bands in the world in Puerto Rico wrapped around 5 days and 4 nights at a nice place on the Atlantic Ocean in April is just too good to pass up.

cool.gif

Enjoy the shows, looking forward to new wrinkles on this run's set list ala "Circumstances".

Assuming ticket sales are doing poorly, there is one more factor I don't think anyone's mentioned: poor song selection.

Perhaps casual fans (that know their radio 'hits') and 'early' era fans weren't too impressed with the songs at the prices they paid and won't go a second time. Or they've heard about what was played last year and don't think that's worth the price.

People keep saying who cares if casual fans don't come. Well I think they should because it's casual fans that allow Rush (and other bands) to play big venues and put on a big show. Would Rush tour nowadays if they knew they'd only be playing 5,000 or less venues? And how much do you think they'd charge for tickets for an 'intimate' performance knowing they'll be getting only hardcore fans? You better start saving now for the next tour.

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Feb 19 2008, 12:47 PM)
Would Rush tour nowadays if they knew they'd only be playing 5,000 or less venues? And how much do you think they'd charge for tickets for an 'intimate' performance knowing they'll be getting only hardcore fans? You better start saving now for the next tour.

I don't know if they'd still be playing if only in small venues but I'd pay whatever they chared to see that!

I saw Yes in a very small 2,000 seat theater here about 10 years ago and it was incredible!

To see Rush there would be a dream come true. I'll pay!! yes.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ Feb 19 2008, 02:35 PM)
Would Rush tour nowadays if they knew they'd only be playing 5,000 or less venues? And how much do you think they'd charge for tickets for an 'intimate' performance knowing they'll be getting only hardcore fans? You better start saving now for the next tour.

I don't know if they'd still be playing if only in small venues but I'd pay whatever they chared to see that!

I saw Yes in a very small 2,000 seat theater here about 10 years ago and it was incredible!

I'd be willing to pay more to see them in a smaller venue too. But hasn't there been an interview, of I think Geddy, implying they wouldn't be as likely to continue touring if they couldn't draw enough people to allow them to play bigger venues? Maybe it was my read of the sentence. Or maybe I'm misremembering.

Misremembering! HAHA

Just to update some of the West Coast shows:

Los Angeles is nearing sell out, with only the back of the mezzanine available

Irvine has moved to Terrace as it looks like Loge has finally sold out

Concord is towards the back of MEzzanine (last section before lawn)

Las Vegas still has some lower sections towards the back available, but they're asking $125 for these, which seems kinda pricey considering the seats aren't all that

This tour won't gross what last year's did, but overall I think the boys are doing OK, considering all the other factors....

QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ Feb 19 2008, 01:35 PM)

I saw that Tour as well. It's a top-fiver. They played at a performing arts theater designed for Opera and Stage Musicals. The sound was soooo good. I can't imagine how amazing a rush show would be in that kind of environment. I suppose those who have been lucky enough to see them at Radio City already know.

I would love it, just love it if they toured the UK in 2,000 seat theatres. I missed out on seeing their early UK shows in this sort of venue, and if the were to play SHeffield City Hall, I;d be as happy as Larry. No need for video screens, and a great sounding venue too, it would indeed ROCK.

I always thought if radio done it's part and would play a wider selection of newer/different songs from S&A, Vapor Trails back to T4E and Counter Parts on a regular basis, ticket sales would be much better.

Theres many quality songs on each that never had the exposure to the casual or past fan who would more then likely renew there interest in Rush. And would want to see them live like they use to in the 70's and 80's. Or even if these markets were there playing would even put forth a effort to remind the public that Rush is coming...

Economy, Economy, Economy

I love Rush and will see them 2 more times this Summer.

Have tickets already; but between the economy and the crap happening on the pre-sales and ticketmaster; I can see why tickets may be slow to sell. Not to hard to understand that.

Rush put on an outstanding show last summer.

I'm sure once word gets out on the setlist changes; more and more tickets will sell. The casual fan who went last summer won't go unless there is something different to expect.

The hard-cores, me included; will go no matter what.

Here's something; how funny it is that most hard-core's will go to multiple shows in different cities. Think about that for a moment.

We make up the bulk of the sales at several shows. :-)

Anyways; management has to get on the advertising horse.

I did see, however, an add on TV when I was in Reno, NV just a week ago.

That was pretty odd to see; but glad I did.

QUOTE (wordsmith @ Feb 15 2008, 05:02 PM)
I just won't lie and call in sick. I FEEL sick, though; first Rush tour I've missed in many , many years.

Sorry to question your reasoning, and you don't have to actually answer, this is just what I thought when I read your post...

Do you have payed sick days? If not, is losing a day's pay+ the cost of seeing the show worth it (considering you have a family)?

Does your job involve helping others, i.e. are you a brain surgeon and not going to work without a legitimate reason would weigh on your conscience if someone's life were endangered?

Being 'sick' does not just mean a fever or sore shoulder, it could be 'mental' as well. You yourself say you feel sick that you'll miss this tour, if you're really such a fan then this is a legitimate reason to miss a day of work. Talk to a doctor about it to see if a 'sick note' would be granted, a 'stress' day.

Unless my first 2 questions come into play, I suggest you reconsider your decision.

QUOTE (pony2112 @ Feb 13 2008, 11:29 PM)
i have seen this talked about on other forums, but, has anyone checked ticketmaster? mercy, most of these shows are selling at a very sad rate, compared to their other tours.

I also heard ticket sales are poor so far but also am not surprised either. Both Toronto shows I went so, the crowds were very restless and I actually saw a few people look at their watches and sit down. For the most part Toronto crowds are overrated anyways, but still. They need to lower the prices if they want to increase sales. The tickets are way too much money for average people.

Archived