Cloverfield

Tick

If you go somewhere that tracked all of the viral advertising before the release, the origin of the monster is all but explained.

*SPOILERS BELOW*

Basically, the monster was awakened by a Japanese drilling operation and/or one of their satellites that crashed in the ocean(likely what the thing splashing down at Coney Island near the end, just to tie the marketing in probably). It woke up, took out an oil rig(there are phony news reports you can find) and followed the ship it destroyed in the beginning to New York City.

As for the monster, it's mostly speculation and tidbits from the movie makers, but the reason it's so tough is because of deep-sea gigantism...think big whales and squid...and because it lived so deep, it had to have a really tough hide to withstand the pressure.

I know too much about this movie. biggrin.gif

As much as I love Cloverfield, I don't want a sequel done the same way. It would feel cheap. Something like a fake documentary with news footage and interviews and all that would be cool if they wanted to explain the story more. But even that seems better suited as a DVD extra, not a seperate film.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jan 22 2008, 08:46 AM)
As much as I love Cloverfield, I don't want a sequel done the same way. It would feel cheap. Something like a fake documentary with news footage and interviews and all that would be cool if they wanted to explain the story more. But even that seems better suited as a DVD extra, not a seperate film.

Agreed. I loved the movie but I had so many questions that I wanted answered and although I researched and found some reasonable answers, theories, methods,etc, I wanna know the backstory and what was going on in JJ Abrams mind when they were doing the film. A 2 Disc extended directors collectors edition thingy would more than suffice for me.

I know I'm a little late but I'm British so yeah it only just came out today here. Although I'm not a fan of "giant monster movies" my friend had two free cinema tickets so I thought what do I have to lose? Thought it was okay. Hardly worth all the raving people do about it. Pretty decent story and it's nice to see a more "adult" giant monster movie without all the cheesey crap in stuff like Godzilla and King Kong. The ending was awful and I think filming handheld camera style is the worst idea ever. Gives me headache within about 5 minutes. I'd give it a 4/10

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 18 2008, 09:20 PM)
Just got back from seeing this.

First off, if you're at all prone to motion sickness, take Dramamine or whatever before seeing this. You'll need it. The camerawork is as shaky as advertised. It needed to be that shaky (amateurish-looking) for this movie to work.

Very cool flick. Very un-Hollywood, and that's a compliment. The creators of this movie had a cool idea -- a monster movie as seen through the eyes of a normal NYC resident's camcorder. They could have messed this up in so many ways, but they didn't. Of course there are some blatant implausibilities (can a camcorder battery really last THAT long?), but so what. LOTS of really great shots. I won't say any more because it's better if you go into this movie not knowing much.

I just watched this last night. I didn't rent it (someone else did) and I probably never would laugh.gif But, to my surprise I liked this movie!

At first, I was wacko.gif dizzy and didn't think I'd last, but it really got better. You could just imagine yourself 'there'....good effects.

I quoted, 1-0-0, because of the good description. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jan 22 2008, 11:46 AM)

Three words: 'Blair Witch 2'

Nowadays, the trend is that if a movie does well, you automatically make a sequel, what they fail to realize is that there is such a thing as leaving well enough alone.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Feb 2 2008, 06:22 AM)
I know I'm a little late but I'm British so yeah it only just came out today here. Although I'm not a fan of "giant monster movies" my friend had two free cinema tickets so I thought what do I have to lose? Thought it was okay. Hardly worth all the raving people do about it. Pretty decent story and it's nice to see a more "adult" giant monster movie without all the cheesey crap in stuff like Godzilla and King Kong. The ending was awful and I think filming handheld camera style is the worst idea ever. Gives me headache within about 5 minutes. I'd give it a 4/10

I'm even later...it JUST started showing here about a month ago. But I saw it on dvd last nite. I thought it was enjoyable. But it's not too surprising that they'd go with the reality-based perspective of a camcorder given the popularity of reality shows. Smart on their part I think. And I think any other ending that they could've gone with would've ruined it for me.

As for Godzilla...live him alone! laugh.gif Big G is supposed to be cheesy with the dude in the rubber lizard suit stepping on toy tanks. I don't count the Hollywood version of Godzilla.

My wife and I watched it last night. It was my second time seeing it. It was her first. She loved it and I enjoyed watching it again.

OK - bringing back to life an old thread. Why? I got Cloverfied on DVD from my local library, and watched it last night... FINALLY. I've wanted to see it in the theatre, but with 4 young children that's just not going to happen.

Anyway - it was better than I had expected. I loved this movie. I'm not going to quote anyone in particular, but I loved it for all the reasons that were stated previously by the folks here.

- Excellent idea. A modern day monster movie is an extremely difficult thing to pull off. I believe this was achieved.

- I loved the POV footage throughout - and although it was a bit difficult to watch at times, it worked! I think if owlswing watched it, she'd be sick to her stomach. laugh.gif

- I also loved the fact that there was no 'story', just coverage from a single person's point of view.

- I hated (but really loved) that it left so much unresolved and unanswered. It kept it much more realistic, and added to the creep factor. We knew nothing more than they did, which was next to nothing in the first place. And NOT knowing, is really what frightens us most.

- I also have to give credit to the writers for being able to tell us just enough about the characters, throughout their ordeal, to connect with them. Without that connection to who they are, the movie would have been flat. I thought it was genius to have the older video footage give us glimpses of their past. It was chilling, the way it ended.

I give this flick very high marks. Anyone who didn't like this movie, was probably expecting to be spoon fed a story. I loved the movie because it DIDN'T do that.

I give it 3 claps and 2 eberts. And that's huge!

applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Jul 22 2009, 10:01 AM)
OK - bringing back to life an old thread. Why? I got Cloverfied on DVD from my local library, and watched it last night... FINALLY. I've wanted to see it in the theatre, but with 4 young children that's just not going to happen.

Anyway - it was better than I had expected. I loved this movie. I'm not going to quote anyone in particular, but I loved it for all the reasons that were stated previously by the folks here.

- Excellent idea. A modern day monster movie is an extremely difficult thing to pull off. I believe this was achieved.

- I loved the POV footage throughout - and although it was a bit difficult to watch at times, it worked! I think if owlswing watched it, she'd be sick to her stomach. laugh.gif

- I also loved the fact that there was no 'story', just coverage from a single person's point of view.

- I hated (but really loved) that it left so much unresolved and unanswered. It kept it much more realistic, and added to the creep factor. We knew nothing more than they did, which was next to nothing in the first place. And NOT knowing, is really what frightens us most.

- I also have to give credit to the writers for being able to tell us just enough about the characters, throughout their ordeal, to connect with them. Without that connection to who they are, the movie would have been flat. I thought it was genius to have the older video footage give us glimpses of their past. It was chilling, the way it ended.

I give this flick very high marks. Anyone who didn't like this movie, was probably expecting to be spoon fed a story. I loved the movie because it DIDN'T do that.

I give it 3 claps and 2 eberts. And that's huge!

applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif

Nice review Pags ! I loved this movie and so did Mrs. tick.

I gave it 1 hello Dave, 2 dancing chickens, and 3 whips !

dave.gif chickendance.gif chickendance.gif bd.gif bd.gif bd.gif

atickhum.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 22 2009, 10:45 AM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Jul 22 2009, 10:01 AM)
OK - bringing back to life an old thread.  Why?  I got Cloverfied on DVD from my local library, and watched it last night... FINALLY.  I've wanted to see it in the theatre, but with 4 young children that's just not going to happen.

Anyway - it was better than I had expected.  I loved this movie.  I'm not going to quote anyone in particular, but I loved it for all the reasons that were stated previously by the folks here.

- Excellent idea.  A modern day monster movie is an extremely difficult thing to pull off.  I believe this was achieved.

- I loved the POV footage throughout - and although it was a bit difficult to watch at times, it worked!  I think if owlswing watched it, she'd be sick to her stomach.  laugh.gif

- I hated (but really loved) that it left so much unresolved and unanswered.  It kept it much more realistic, and added to the creep factor.  We knew nothing more than they did, which was next to nothing in the first place.  And NOT knowing, is really what frightens us most.

- I also have to give credit to the writers for being able to tell us just enough about the characters, throughout their ordeal, to connect with them.  Without that connection to who they are, the movie would have been flat.  I thought it was genius to have the older video footage give us glimpses of their past.  It was chilling, the way it ended.

I give this flick very high marks.  Anyone who didn't like this movie, was probably expecting to be spoon fed a story.  I loved the movie because it DIDN'T do that.

I give it 3 claps and 2 eberts.  And that's huge!

Nice review Pags ! I loved this movie and so did Mrs. tick.

I gave it 1 hello Dave, 2 dancing chickens, and 3 whips !

dave.gif chickendance.gif chickendance.gif bd.gif bd.gif bd.gif

atickhum.gif

You gave it the coveted Hello Dave award?!? WOW! That's like... going plaid.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/paganoman/plaidwarp640.gif

Hey you know what's really cool... The Making Of feature that's on the DVD. Cool shit. cool.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Aug 25 2012, 11:28 PM)
I finally watched this movie... a lot better than expected.

Yes, I am THAT sad biggrin.gif. Better late than never.

Have you seen Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory yet? Its really good! trink38.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ Aug 26 2012, 04:04 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Aug 25 2012, 11:28 PM)
I finally watched this movie... a lot better than expected.

Yes, I am THAT sad biggrin.gif.  Better late than never.

Have you seen Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory yet? Its really good! trink38.gif

http://i.imgur.com/UOz33.jpg