Jackson NOT directing 'The Hobbit'

Jack Aubrey

OK, I'm a little worried now. Still, he's producing, so that means he has creative control and that makes me feel better.

From Entertainment Weekly via Coming Soon.

Jackson is Not Directing the Hobbit Films
Source: Entertainment Weekly
December 19, 2007

Since the big announcement yesterday that Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh will serve as Executive Producers of two films based on "The Hobbit" for New Line and MGM, fans and Hollywood have wondered if Jackson will direct the films as well. According to Entertainment Weekly, he is not because fans would have to wait a long time for his schedule to clear up:

While MGM and New Line want to keep Jackson's involvement in the film as broad as possible, hinting that he may take up both writing and directing responsibilities, Jackson's manager Ken Kamins told Hollywood Insider that Jackson won't be directing the films. "Peter won't be directing because he felt the fans have waited long enough for The Hobbit. It will take the better part of every day of the next four years to write, direct and produce two Hobbit films. Given his current obligations to both The Lovely Bones and Tintin, waiting for Peter, Fran, and Phillippa to write, direct and produce The Hobbit would require the fans wait even longer."

So who will direct? Sam Raimi ("Spider-Man" films), Guillermo del Toro ("Hellboy" films) and Alfonso Cuaron (Children of Men) are names that have come up, but no decision has been made, says New Line's co-chair Robert Shaye. "There is obviously a small but significant number of directors who could handle two films of this magnitude, but we have no commitment to anybody. Now that Peter is an integral part of the decision-making process, we all have to see eye-to-eye on any candidate we try to enlist."

OK, folks, who do you want to see direct this one? Personally, I'd like to see Zach '300' Snyder take it on. What say you?

I don't know if anyone could have the obsession and zeal of Jackson to go along with the necessary talent, so for me all I care about is getting a highly qualified and talented director and hope they can pull it off.

Wouldn't mind Spielberg doing it, but I'm not holding my breath for THAT. wink.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 20 2007, 11:07 AM)
Of the three directors mentioned there, I'd pick Guillermo del Toro. Besides his other films, one look at "Pan's Labyrinth" will tell you he's worthy of being on the short list.

Good point, 'Pan's Labyrinth' is indeed a fantastic movie. yes.gif

As long as Jackson is involved, I don't care who actually directs.

Having Jackson as a producer, as well as Fran Walsh means that we can have a lot of the people who were on the rings films return. Having Jackson on Board almost certintaly guarantee that Howard Shore will return to score the film, and set/production designer Alan Lee will return too. As well as certian cast members who play common characters to both the Rings films, as well as "The Hobbit" such as Andy Sirkus as Gollum, and Ian McKellen as Gandalf.

Edited by The Owl

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 20 2007, 09:41 AM)
I don't know if anyone could have the obsession and zeal of Jackson to go along with the necessary talent, so for me all I care about is getting a highly qualified and talented director and hope they can pull it off.

Wouldn't mind Spielberg doing it, but I'm not holding my breath for THAT. wink.gif

I dont think Speilberg would ever want to have comparisons drawn between him and Jackson, nor should he.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Dec 20 2007, 09:43 AM)
Not Sam Raimi that's for sure. I think he lost it with Spider-Man 3.

I think he deserves a pass based upon the fact the first two were so incredible. yes.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 20 2007, 12:45 PM)
QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Dec 20 2007, 09:43 AM)
Not Sam Raimi that's for sure. I think he lost it with Spider-Man 3.

I think he deserves a pass based upon the fact the first two were so incredible. yes.gif

Yeah, you're right, I love most of his other movies too much to write him off. God help him if there's a Hobbit jazz club dance scene though.

One question-

Why are they planning on TWO Movies? I suppose it would allow for greater detail, but it could easily be done in a 3 or 31/2 hour movie. I want to see justice done to the book, but to wait up to a year in between each film? unsure.gif