How long have you gone without sleep?

sfuentes

When I was 12 years old I stayed up for 5 days. I was acting normal as if I was normally awake. My mom freaked and took me to doc's. They couldn't find anything wrong with me. I fell asleep on 6th day normally. Slept a regular 8 hours and everything was "right" again. Pretty weird. Read a lot of books. Edited by Test4VitalSigns

The longest must be about 29 hours. This was Easter 2002, after coming home from Florida. The flight landed in Manchester from Sanford at about 7am local time. We'd been awake since about 9am EST (2pm BST), but when we got home it was a lovely warm sunny day (Good Friday). Didn't bother going to bed and saw the day through 'til about 7pm BST.

Used to do that frequently in college. Last time I tried this was for the VT tour. Last minute decision to go to San Antonio, Texas for the show. A 700+ mile trip. I got up at 4am and went to work finishing tearing of a 2-layer roof (for those who don't know, absolutely back-breaking work) here in N.W. Arkansas. Got home, showered, changed and took off for S.A. about 6pm. Rolled into S.A. at around 6am to my dad's house. The plan was to sleep a while, then stop by some friends just before the show. Never happened. Stayed awake yakin' with my dad and before I knew it, time to go to the show! Freinds house, then show, then back to friends... of course, no sleep then either. Finally got to lay down the middle of day three!! about 60+ hours. A great weekend, but can't pull that off again. Man, I'm gettin' old! sarcasm.gif schla03.gif

50 hours

back in my stupid a$$ days when I thought it was great to do crank, that stuffs insane to do, Gahh i did some crappy things back in HS that i wished i never did

I stayed up for like 3 days before. Then I started feeling like I was tripping or something. It's hard to think correctly with no sleep.

About 3 days. I was working nights and when you have 4 small children you dont sleep. RF tried to help me sleep but he couldnt. Needless to say that job did not last long.

I think I read in my pyschology book about people who don't sleep at all.....and they said they tested this one guy out and he was normal at first and 5 days later he was seeing things and going all crazy because his brain wasn't being repaired (sleep repairs it) trink36.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 8 2005, 12:15 PM)
I think I read in my pyschology book about people who don't sleep at all.....and they said they tested this one guy out and he was normal at first and 5 days later he was seeing things and going all crazy because his brain wasn't being repaired (sleep repairs it) trink36.gif

That's some crazy stuff. I wish I could have read that. Send me the book sometime biggrin.gif

72 hours. We were shorthanded one duty weekend when I was in the Coast Guard. Towards the end, I was having minor hallucinations. I kept seeing deer swimming in the channel.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 8 2005, 11:31 AM)
72 hours. We were shorthanded one duty weekend when I was in the Coast Guard. Towards the end, I was having minor hallucinations. I kept seeing deer swimming in the channel.

LOL....Bambi not the water!!!....water wtf? lol

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 8 2005, 01:33 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 8 2005, 11:31 AM)

LOL....Bambi not the water!!!....water wtf? lol

rofl3.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

2 1/2 days...it's hard to sleep when you're in labor.....

Funny thing, though. His birth was hard work, but for a while after my son was born, I wasn't tired at all, I had a wonderful time meeting him. Then suddenly I pretty much collapsed.

One of my most tiring came in December 2000. At the time I was working at our local McDonalds and, on the Saturday night shift, we didn't finish until 5am Sunday morning. By the time I got home it was about 6 so I didn't get to bed until 7. I dragged myself oput of bed about midday and went, with my wife, to see my parents.

My wife went to bed at about 10pm and, come midnight, I was shuitting down the computer with the intention of going to bed myself when she came downstairs and asked me to ring the hospital as she had gone into labour.

To cut a long story short, my son James was born just befoer 9am Monday morning. (That made it about 21 hours without sleep). later that morning, as the two of them were getting some well earned rest, I met my parents in town and starting spreading woprd of the birth among our friends. Then I took my parents up to the hospital and sat there, at about 4pm, I started to dose. Seeing this, my wife told me to go hom and get some sleep.

I finally got to bed at about 5pm making it about 29 hours - possibly the most draining 29 hours I've ever lived through. Alas, I was unable to wake up in time for the evening visiting hours whichj, fortuantely she understood when I got there next morning.

I think I was at 48 hours once... (I Don't know if I was thinking in the same time zone though) I was going over to Italy on a school trip. I was unable to fall alseep on the plane because I was cramed between two people, and I didnt want to sleep on there shoulders, so I stayed up playing games, then sat in Charles de Gaul airport in Paris for like 6 hours (we acutally toured the city a bit) then caught a flight to Rome. I didnt get to sleep until 6 am local time, 2 days later, in a hotel in Florence, and then I only slept for about 3 hours because we had to be at a museum for 10.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 8 2005, 01:31 PM)

Same thing happened to me as I posted in an earlier thread. It felt like I was taking some psilocybe mushrooms or something.

When I was in my early 20's I was a fishing Nut. The fish were biting so good this one time I would go fishing as soon as I got off work and I fished until time to go to work. I worked 3rd shift at the time and started fishing about 7:30 am. I've stayed up for 3 days a few times (4-5 times or so), and other times I only slept an hour in that amount of time, the hour of sleep seemed to only make me feel like crap lol.

QUOTE (Sodoff Baldrick @ Jan 9 2005, 03:18 PM)
The day I had the baby I was awake for about 3 days with a few minutes here and there to nap. Seemed every time I got my eyes closed some nurse was wheeling her in to be fed. I didn't get a good nap until I was discharged.

Yeah, hospitals are lousy places to sleep.....