Rock Band!

neil#2

Got my second Rock Band bundle that I had pre-ordered - arrived just before Christmas break.

I am happy to report that the "second gen" hardware seems much better and everything is working like a charm after some heavy use including a drunken marathon run by myself and about 15 other people on New Years Eve.

So now that I finally have working drums I've got to play around with them a bit at this point. First off some people find the drumming very hard if not impossible (a few people that tried couldn't make it past the tutorial) depends on your co-ordination and sense of rhythm I suppose. I find the drums terrific fun but so far very challenging for myself. Not sure if I didn't get the "knack" yet or if it will continue to be this challenging. Unlike the guitar where I can waltz around the room playing the guitar behind my back and screw around and have some fun and try to exude some showmanship - I find myself really having to zone in on the drumming and really pay attention and concentrate. That being said I am working my way through solo tour on medium difficulty for practice and so far have been able to achieve over 95 percent on every song (about 15 songs in at this point).

Still though - terrific fun!

I am also happy to report that EA now has their support program up and running in Canada so I was also be able to call them and order replacement drums and guitar that were broken from my other bundle. Finally we'll be able to play 4 player as we'll have a working bass - and also be able to try out some of the head-to-head challenges. Drum vs. drum! Can't wait!

trink39.gif

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are EA giving Canadians the sweet replacement games too? In exchange for the wait and all?

They had a sweet list of free games for the US replacement peeps... It wasn't crap like NHL 05 or something either.. It was all the latest stuff like Skate and HP:OOTP and the latest NHL/NFL etc.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jan 2 2008, 12:54 PM)
So now that I finally have working drums I've got to play around with them a bit at this point. First off some people find the drumming very hard if not impossible (a few people that tried couldn't make it past the tutorial) depends on your co-ordination and sense of rhythm I suppose. I find the drums terrific fun but so far very challenging for myself. Not sure if I didn't get the "knack" yet or if it will continue to be this challenging. Unlike the guitar where I can waltz around the room playing the guitar behind my back and screw around and have some fun and try to exude some showmanship - I find myself really having to zone in on the drumming and really pay attention and concentrate. That being said I am working my way through solo tour on medium difficulty for practice and so far have been able to achieve over 95 percent on every song (about 15 songs in at this point).

I'm about 5 songs behind you on Medium. I'm averaging in the high 80s to low 90s. The only reason I am doing ok is that I used to play drums back in the day. No one else in my family nor my friends are able to even do one song on easy.

No matter how good you get at the guitar, that wont translate into playing a real guitar. On the other hand, the rock band drumset is like a small electronic kit. If you can play that, you can probably play a real set.

I am hoping that by completing the medium difficulty drum tour I will be able to unlock the Rush tune. I hope that there is a downloadable Rush pack in the future.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jan 3 2008, 01:35 AM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jan 2 2008, 12:54 PM)
So now that I finally have working drums I've got to play around with them a bit at this point.  First off some people find the drumming very hard if not impossible (a few people that tried couldn't make it past the tutorial) depends on your co-ordination and sense of rhythm I suppose.  I find the drums terrific fun but so far very challenging for myself.  Not sure if I didn't get the "knack" yet or if it will continue to be this challenging.  Unlike the guitar where I can waltz around the room playing the guitar behind my back and screw around and have some fun and try to exude some showmanship - I find myself really having to zone in on the drumming and really pay attention and concentrate.  That being said I am working my way through solo tour on medium difficulty for practice and so far have been able to achieve over 95 percent on every song (about 15 songs in at this point).

I'm about 5 songs behind you on Medium. I'm averaging in the high 80s to low 90s. The only reason I am doing ok is that I used to play drums back in the day. No one else in my family nor my friends are able to even do one song on easy.

No matter how good you get at the guitar, that wont translate into playing a real guitar. On the other hand, the rock band drumset is like a small electronic kit. If you can play that, you can probably play a real set.

I am hoping that by completing the medium difficulty drum tour I will be able to unlock the Rush tune. I hope that there is a downloadable Rush pack in the future.

Cool pedro - you must be very close to unlocking Tom Sawyer at this point.

I was on a tear drums solo mode last night unlocked about 8 songs straight with 5 stars and then *BAM* I hit "Green Grass and High Tides" and that song is a genuine bitch - one of the ones where it's easy enough until about 8 minutes into the song it really gets nuts and I failed a few times before finally beating it. Boy oh boy can't wait to see that one on a higher difficulty level.

trink39.gif

Wow. This game is amazing. Just played it for like 7 hours with a bunch of friends tonight. (A little more relaxing after 4 hours of pond hockey today laugh.gif)

I was never really much of a Guitar hero fan, mainly because I'm left handed and always have to switch it and it just seemed boring.

But the drums in Rock Band are what I love most. So much more fun than the guitar, I don't know if I'll ever play the guitar again.

Another thing, what do you think of a keyboard? My friends all think it's a good idea. Everyone sitting there doing nothing during the synth break in Won't Get Fooled Again made me think I could be playing that. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ Jan 7 2008, 02:24 AM)
I've been playing GH 1,2 and 80's.

I'm getting this game for the PS2 later this month. I'm really stoked to try it out. I'll post my review of it when I play it.

I hope the PS2 version treats you well... Guitar Hero 3 plays real nicely on that console although the graphics obviously take a hit it is still fun as all hell. The big downside for you though will be downloadable content - including the already released Limelight so hopefully they find a way to make this available for PS2 users - not sure what their plan is...

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jan 8 2008, 10:12 PM)
Godeater have you obtained Limelight yet?

Yes sir I did a couple days ago! Was even brave enough to try it and do not half bad at it on expert mode last night!

Fun song to play - however it is a cover. Overall quite good but of course nobody can do Geddy quite like Geddy can.

smile.gif

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Jan 10 2008, 11:03 AM)
My family absolutely loves Rock Band!

They have been online playing songs with others across the Internet.

Downloaded Limelight last night from the Playstation store. It kicks ass!!

1022.gif

Have you been playing Band World Tour mode at all? It's pretty cool. At our place we just finally beat World Tour mode - with what is called the "Endless Setlist" 58 songs in a ROW! Remember to whiz before you start!

laugh.gif

All your hardware working okay? The newer bundle I got everything is working great. Still waiting on replacements for my drums and guitar from my first bundle though.

QUOTE (pt2112 @ Jan 5 2008, 01:23 AM)
Another thing, what do you think of a keyboard? My friends all think it's a good idea. Everyone sitting there doing nothing during the synth break in Won't Get Fooled Again made me think I could be playing that.  laugh.gif

I made the same suggestion to my kids. They said, "Neh... we don't need no stinkin keyboards". That's the one instrument I actually do play and could probably keep up with them on.

They did point out, "How would you display all the keyboard notes Dad?"

Good point.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jan 10 2008, 11:10 AM)
QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Jan 10 2008, 11:03 AM)
My family absolutely loves Rock Band!

They have been online playing songs with others across the Internet.

Downloaded Limelight last night from the Playstation store.  It kicks ass!!

1022.gif

Have you been playing Band World Tour mode at all? It's pretty cool. At our place we just finally beat World Tour mode - with what is called the "Endless Setlist" 58 songs in a ROW! Remember to whiz before you start!

laugh.gif

All your hardware working okay? The newer bundle I got everything is working great. Still waiting on replacements for my drums and guitar from my first bundle though.

I haven't played it nearly as much as my kids, but I think they have been doing the World Tour thingy. I know that my son entered a "cheat" code where the thing moves like wicked fast. He plays on Expert on like level 5 speed-up mode... the kid is amazing! He was playing someone online in a "battle" (?) and he had it on the highest possible speed. Kicked the guy's ass!

Hardware is working great. Only complaint I've heard from my son is that the Rock Band guitar strum bar doesn't "click" like the Guitar Hero III guitar does so he finds it harder to know that he's "hit the note". (not sure I understand that, I can play the Rock Band guitar just fine... on Medium that is).

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Jan 10 2008, 12:43 PM)
Hardware is working great. Only complaint I've heard from my son is that the Rock Band guitar strum bar doesn't "click" like the Guitar Hero III guitar does so he finds it harder to know that he's "hit the note". (not sure I understand that, I can play the Rock Band guitar just fine... on Medium that is).

I can understand that, and maybe explain it a bit. The Guitar Hero guitar controllers put out a little "click" each time you strum. From my experience, this kind of serves as... I dunno, almost a metronome of sorts when you're playing long chord sections or parts that involve constant, heavy strumming.

Knowing that the Rock Band guitar doesn't click makes me think maybe it would be a little detrimental to my rhythm.

I had a chance to play Rock Band this past weekend and I thought it was a lot of fun. While being schooled by an 11 year old on guitar and drums, I did my humble best to not fail out on my parts. The drums I found very difficult and that frustrated me because I honestly consider myself to have rhythm, lol. ("Oh look honey someone's throwing away a perfectly good white boy") But seriously, it took several songs to get my hands and feet on the same page with my brain/eyes. No Rush songs were attempted. I know Id hurt myself.

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Jan 11 2008, 01:18 PM)
I had a chance to play Rock Band this past weekend and I thought it was a lot of fun. While being schooled by an 11 year old on guitar and drums, I did my humble best to not fail out on my parts. The drums I found very difficult and that frustrated me because I honestly consider myself to have rhythm, lol. ("Oh look honey someone's throwing away a perfectly good white boy") But seriously, it took several songs to get my hands and feet on the same page with my brain/eyes. No Rush songs were attempted. I know Id hurt myself.

I've been trying to be patient and slowly work my way up to get more comfortable with the drums.

I've been pretty much acing anything on medium difficulty so last night while playing with some friends I decided to give Suffragate City a shot on hard mode.

Bad idea.

LOL

tongue.gif

Archived