NHL and NHLPA

neilpeart_gal

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they are done for this season....

offical word will be out today...

but there are no plans to talk further...

mad.gif confused13.gif fists crying.gif

Well I'm not worried about getting my $. They've sent us checks every month so far for games not played. The season ticket holders are their bread and butter, so they want to keep us happy IN THE EVENT that there's even a game to come back to next year. sad.gif

sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

I would have liked to see an NHL game sometime too. I was over in Florida in March 2002 and we went to Tampa on the second Sunday there. On the way back I was planning to take us all to a game there (this was when I was with my ex and her kids, btw). But I got lost in Tampa, trying to find the stadium. It was on the wrong side of the river and a load of one-way streets meant we were too late. It was a game against the Bruins, but they lost it in OT. Would have been a good game to see though.

Link To Article

Updated: Feb. 14, 2005, 1:35 PM ET

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- With no miracle save in sight and a weekend deadline long gone, the NHL made plans for a news conference Tuesday to cancel what little remained of a season already decimated by a lockout.

A public relations executive, speaking on condition of anonymity, told The Associated Press that planning was under way Monday for NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to make the announcement at a news conference in New York.

The Canadian Press, citing an unidentified source, said Bettman will cancel the season at the news conference.

The NHL would become the first major professional league in North America to cancel an entire season because of a labor dispute. This would mark the first time the Stanley Cup was not awarded since a flu epidemic canceled the finals in 1919.

Asked about The Canadian Press report, NHL spokesman Frank Brown said the league had no immediate comment.

After vowing not to reach out to each other after two days of talks broke off Thursday, the sides met Sunday at the request of a high-ranking federal mediator. Neither Bettman nor players' association executive director Bob Goodenow attended.

But that round of talks in Washington was also unsuccessful, with both sides saying that no progress was made.

Neither side has been willing to budge on the salary-cap issue -- the NHL has said it is necessary in any new deal, and the players' association has rejected it as a solution.

NHL chief legal officer Bill Daly was joined Sunday at the five-hour meeting by outside counsel Bob Batterman, with players' association senior director Ted Saskin and outside counsel John McCambridge on the other side.

The sides were assisted by mediators twice before, as recently as a Feb. 2 negotiating session in Newark, N.J. Sunday's meeting was requested by Scot B. Beckenbaugh, the acting director of the U.S. Federal Mediation & Conciliation Service.

Neither side thought mediation would help end the stalemate that has lasted five months.

The lockout reached its 152nd day Monday, a day after the NHL was to hold its All-Star game in Atlanta.

Bettman said the sides needed to start putting a deal on paper by the weekend if the NHL was going to hold a 28-game season and a 16-team playoff.

The NHL said its 30 clubs need to know what their costs would be, and the only way that could be achieved is with a salary cap that linked league revenues to player costs.

A cap was an automatic deal-breaker for the union even though it agreed that the financial landscape had to change. The players' association contended that there are many other ways to fix it.

The sides have traded proposals throughout the lockout that started Sept. 16. But the salary cap has always been the sticking point. Other issues such as arbitration, revenue-sharing, and rookie caps, never reached the true negotiating stage because the sides couldn't agree on the big issue.

On Friday, the NHL sent a memo to its 30 clubs, allowing them to contact players -- something that was previously forbidden. The memo also allowed team executives to speak publicly about the lockout

It's about time they do away with it. Don't know if I want to sit thru a 28 game schedule and playoff. Not after the stinky bullrice us fans had to endure since last fall. Best to scrap it all and try to somehow fix the mess up for next season....if there is one. Even if they do somehow salvage this season I highly doubt I could get into it.

QUOTE (furie @ Feb 14 2005, 06:42 PM)
The players' association contended that there are many other ways to fix it.

such as? i've never heard the players' plan.

Thats because the NHL has condemned anything that the NHLPA discusses with them. It's basicly like they don't want to listen to what they have to say unless it contains the words "Salary Cap."

Update. What the f*** is this about?? Aaaargh!!!!!!!!!1

NEW YORK (AP) -- The NHL players' association agreed to accept a salary cap, but contract talks broke down early Tuesday over the amount that teams would pay.

Even while the negotiations were going on, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman had already planned to announce the cancellation of the season Wednesday, a source close to the negotiations told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Monday.

Bettman was slated to speak Wednesday in New York, but the NHL declined to give details beyond the time and location.

The NHL offered to remove its demand for a link between league revenues and player costs, a ``significant move in the players' direction'' the union said in a statement early Tuesday following a meeting in Niagara Falls, N.Y.

But when the players offered to accept a cap at $52 million -- the first time they came off their opposition to a ceiling on salaries -- the offer was rejected by the NHL. The league insisted on a salary cap that topped out at $40 million per team.

``It is indeed unfortunate that with the major steps taken by both sides we were unable to build enough momentum to reach an agreement,'' players' association senior director Ted Saskin said in a statement early Tuesday.

No new talks were immediately scheduled, but with the philosophical differences now bridged there appeared to be room for the sides to negotiate dollar figures.

The 24-percent rollback on all existing contracts, originally offered by the union on Dec. 9, as well as more aggressive luxury tax rates and thresholds, were included in the players' counteroffer.

With the major stumbling blocks now out of the way, the sides are only $12 million apart on what each team's cap should be. With the salary rollback, only eight of the 30 teams would be above $40 million.

Until now, Bettman insisted that the 30 teams know what their costs will be each season. The only way, he said, that could be achieved was to tie to the amount of player costs to a percentage of league revenues.

That was a solution the players' association refused.

NHL chief legal officer Bill Daly was the only other person involved in the meeting that wrapped up early Tuesday. The NHL reported that no progress was made, but didn't reveal any details of what was discussed.

They give them what they want, in theory, but it still isn't enough. Its Bettman's way or the highway.

We had the Superleague in Britain. Nothing like the NHL and not up to NHL standard by any means, but as soon as Salary-capping was introduced it was the beginning of the end...a long, hard, drawn-out, painful end. sad.gif

Archived