NHL and NHLPA

neilpeart_gal

24 HRS to bridge 12 million is very doable. Taking linkage off the table tells me that Bettman is finally getting some heat from the other not so hawkish owners.

This should get done in some way shape and form tonight. If not i'm arming Kazz and sending him after Bettman. yes.gif 1287.gif

BTW Testes i can see being a Washington Capitals fan why you would want to scrap the season. If i cheered for that ragtag outfit i'd hope they cancelled the next decade pokey.gif

P.S... Nothing that a Proline cant cure laugh.gif 1287.gif argh

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Burn in hell Bettman.

February 15, 2005

Mr. Robert Goodenow

Executive Director

National Hockey League

Players' Association

Toronto, Ontario

Dear Bob:

We attempted to reach out to you with yesterday's offer of a team maximum cap of $42.2MM ($40MM in salary and $2.2MM in benefits) which was not linked to League-wide revenues. As Bill told Ted, "de-linking" a maximum team salary cap from League revenues and total League-wide player compensation has always been problematic for us, especially since we cannot now quantify the damage to the League from the lockout. This presents the risk we will pay out more than we can afford. As you know, if all 30 teams were to spend to the maximum we proposed, and if the damage to our business is as we discussed at our meetings in New York, then the League would continue to lose money.

I know, as do you, that the "deal" we can make will only get worse for the players if we cancel the season -- whatever damage we have suffered to date will pale in comparison to the damage from a cancelled season and we will certainly not be able to afford what is presently on the table. Accordingly, I am making one final effort to reach out to make a deal that will let us play this season.

We are increasing our offer of yesterday by increasing the maximum individual team cap to $44.7MM ($42.5MM in salary and $2.2MM in benefits). This offer is not an invitation to begin negotiations -- it's too late for that. This is our last effort to make a deal that's fair to the players and one that the Clubs (hopefully) can afford. We have no more flexibility and there is no time for further negotiation.

If this offer is acceptable, please let me know by 11:00 A.M. tomorrow, in advance of my scheduled press conference. Hopefully, the press conference will not be necessary.

Sincerely,

Gary B. Bettman

Commissioner

upyours.gif link

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Feb 15 2005, 04:25 PM)
24 HRS to bridge 12 million is very doable. Taking linkage off the table tells me that Bettman is finally getting some heat from the other not so hawkish owners.
This should get done in some way shape and form tonight. If not i'm arming Kazz and sending him after Bettman. yes.gif 1287.gif

BTW Testes i can see being a Washington Capitals fan why you would want to scrap the season. If i cheered for that ragtag outfit i'd hope they cancelled the next decade pokey.gif

P.S... Nothing that a Proline cant cure laugh.gif 1287.gif argh

Are you ricing me? A short season would be best chance for Caps to even make the playoffs. laugh.gif Seriously though if there is the slightest chance of a season the team who wins the Cup will be forever remembered for winning under these ricy circumstances and it will be a very tainted victory indeed. Even you would admit you would rather have the Leafs win in the more proper way of winning a championship. But then maybe not considering how you Leaf fans are DYING for a Stanley Cup parade! 1287.gif AARGH!

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 16 2005, 02:11 AM)
QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Feb 15 2005, 04:25 PM)
This should get done in some way shape and form tonight. If not i'm arming Kazz and sending him after Bettman. yes.gif  1287.gif

P.S... Nothing that a Proline cant cure laugh.gif  1287.gif argh

Are you ricing me? A short season would be best chance for Caps to even make the playoffs. laugh.gif Seriously though if there is the slightest chance of a season the team who wins the Cup will be forever remembered for winning under these ricy circumstances and it will be a very tainted victory indeed. Even you would admit you would rather have the Leafs win in the more proper way of winning a championship. But then maybe not considering how you Leaf fans are DYING for a Stanley Cup parade! 1287.gif AARGH!

Nobody ever said Jerseys first cup was tainted no.gif

Second of all if there was a shortened season it would be outstanding hockey. It would be playoff hockey right off the bat none of this 80 game going through the motions half the games crap. After all anybody who has ever played the game knows if you played all out for 80 games nobody would have any players left to compete in the playoffs let alone body parts to shoot a puck. This 30 game plan offers fans a unique opportunity to see all out hockey every night up to and including playoffs. yes.gif

As far as the Leafs go at least they COMPETE for the cup every year not roll over and turtle like some teams we know pokey.gif

If they were able to save what's left of this season, it wouldn't matter who won the Cup. But having something this season would help repair things for next season and beyond. If the entire 2004-2005 season is lost, we might not see a 2005-2006, and if we do, the fans might not care.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 16 2005, 10:35 AM)
If they were able to save what's left of this season, it wouldn't matter who won the Cup. But having something this season would help repair things for next season and beyond. If the entire 2004-2005 season is lost, we might not see a 2005-2006, and if we do, the fans might not care.

Exactly... Times ticking and theres alot at stake for both sides. They should be able to bridge 6.5 million at some point today. If not jobs will be lost.

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Feb 16 2005, 09:28 AM)
QUOTE (neilpeart_gal @ Feb 16 2005, 10:13 AM)
Someone help me stop being bitter.  Will I even be excited if they come to a conclusion?  I dunno.

That first Predator game winner should take care of those doubts NPG yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

laugh.gif True!! tongue.gif

It's hunting season, hockey fans! waffen093.gif waffen093.gif

link

NHL ANNOUNCES CANCELLATION OF 2004-05 SEASON

NEW YORK (February 16, 2005) - The National Hockey League announced today that, because a new collective bargaining agreement has not been realized, it no longer is practical to conduct an abbreviated 2004-05 season.

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman issued the following statement:

"Every professional sports League owes its very existence to its fans. Everyone associated with the National Hockey League owes our fans an apology for being unable to accomplish what is necessary for our game and our fans. We are truly sorry.

"Five months ago, I stated that the National Hockey League could not function without an economic system that will bring our League into the 21st Century. I said that our 30 Clubs were united in their dedication to an economic system under which the teams and players, sharing common objectives and a commitment to our fans' satisfaction, would work together as partners.

"The time since then has been devoted to the pursuit of that goal. Today, I can tell you that our determination remains every bit as strong as it was in September to secure the partnership required to protect and ensure the future of the League ... for the benefit of the Clubs, the Players, and our devoted fans.

"When I stood before you in September, I said NHL teams would not play again until our economic problems had been solved. As I stand before you today, it is my sad duty to announce that because that solution has not yet been attained, it no longer is practical to conduct even an abbreviated season. Accordingly, I have no choice but to announce the formal cancellation of play for 2004-05.

"We profoundly regret the suffering this has caused our fans, our business partners and the thousands of people who depend on our industry for their livelihoods. We will continue to explore and pursue all available options in order to achieve a successful resolution to this dispute and to get the best game in the world back where it belongs -- on the ice, in front of the best fans in the world.

"As I also said in September, what we must do now is not about the present or the short-term needs of this season. Rather, it is about the future of our League and 30 teams.

"The National Hockey League was formed in 1917, and it has played a season through to a championship in every year but 1919. Through the decades and the generations we have faced a variety of crises and challenges -- some of which seemed catastrophic at the time. The League persevered through all those adversities and the League will persevere through this one, as well -- to emerge with a framework for the future, one that is fair to everyone -- where our players are fairly paid, receiving what we can afford -- no more, no less.

"This is a sad, regrettable day that all of us wish could have been avoided."

Archived