subdivisions

skrewflanders

no.gif It was the voice of Toronto based dude Mark Dailey.

Why would he act like he was singing it then? He clearly approaches the mic and "lip sinks" it then. There is other stuff that is sampled and there is no attempt to mask it. For example, during Spirit of the Radio, Geddy is not even behind the keyboard when you can clearly hear keyboards playing. We all know they sequence in live shows (good discussion in another thread) so why make attempts to mask it?

I personally think he is singing it. Why would you sequence something as easy as saying, "Subdivisions"? I'm no paid musician, but I could even handle that.

QUOTE (spitball @ Sep 3 2007, 07:58 AM)
QUOTE (Lady April @ Sep 2 2007, 09:39 PM)
no.gif It was the voice of Toronto based dude Mark Dailey.

Interesting, I always assumed it was Neil speaking. He often does those parts, and it at least sort of sounds like him.

I always thought it was Neil, too. I don't know why. Somehow, it just seemed like it should be.

QUOTE (tripdad @ Sep 3 2007, 10:35 AM)
Why would he act like he was singing it then? He clearly approaches the mic and "lip sinks" it then.

Same reason Geddy pretends to sing the ooooo-hhhhhhs before the chorus in Earthshine.........

Alex did do the "Subdivisions" part on "A Show Of Hands".......sounds kooky though.

QUOTE (WorkingAngel @ Sep 3 2007, 11:37 AM)
^Yeah. Lady April is right about Mark Dailey for the studio album. As for live performances, I think it's Alex.

Yep, Alex doing his best cartoon voice.

Doesn't matter, it still sounds awesome 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (scottsmith @ Sep 3 2007, 08:03 AM)
i thought it was neil, too.

and the speaker in the necromancer?

That would be Neil laugh.gif

Before I found out about Mark Dailey, I always thought that the Subdivisions video was bizarre when Alex would mime that part. It just didn't fit. Now I know why.

QUOTE (Lady April @ Sep 3 2007, 01:11 PM)

Before I found out about Mark Dailey, I always thought that the Subdivisions video was bizarre when Alex would mime that part. It just didn't fit. Now I know why.

I thought I read on MiTA's site that it was Geddy's voice played at 33 RPM... unsure.gif confused13.gif

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Sep 3 2007, 03:15 PM)
QUOTE (Lady April @ Sep 3 2007, 01:11 PM)

I thought I read on MiTA's site that it was Geddy's voice played at 33 RPM... unsure.gif confused13.gif

I had always heard it was Geddy's voice as well.

I have a 84 bootleg where Alex sings it. Truthfully, it was embarrassing. (And forget about it already, I love Alex, especially when he's playing guitar.)

It's definitely not him singing in the recent live versions. It's sampled from the original studio recording.

QUOTE (tripdad @ Sep 3 2007, 10:35 AM)
Why would he act like he was singing it then?  He clearly approaches the mic and "lip sinks" it then.  There is other stuff that is sampled and there is no attempt to mask it.  For example, during Spirit of the Radio, Geddy is not even behind the keyboard when you can clearly hear keyboards playing.  We all know they sequence in live shows (good discussion in another thread) so why make attempts to mask it?

I personally think he is singing it.  Why would you sequence something as easy as saying, "Subdivisions"?  I'm no paid musician, but I could even handle that.

Dont be stupid, laugh.gif , Geddy isnt playing on the Keyboard because he triggered the sound with his Moog Pedals. yes.gif

Archived