Top 5 Sci-fi films of all time

war2112

An earlier thread has me going so here's mine. If there are parantheses after the title then that connotates the title and author of the book from which the screenplay was adapted. Here goes...

Bladerunner (Do Androids Dream of Elecric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick)

Alien

THX 1138

Minority Report (also Philip K. Dick)

Logan's Run

And just for fun, how 'bout Woody Allen's "Sleepers" for the comedy sci-fi? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Dec 23 2004, 07:14 AM)
Blade Runner
Aliens
2001: A Space Odyssey
Terminator II
Predator

Great choices. 5 seems like too few since I omitted Terminator II and Predator. The first Predator is GREAT, and the same could be said for the Terminators I & II.

They are also very plausible, they really are.

Blade Runner
Aliens
Terminator II
Predator

Also of course, Aurthur C. Clarke's 2001 series. My favorite hard sci-fi writer of all time hands down. How neglectful of me. Awesome selection, rickyrob.

Alien/Aliens (Best of them all)

Star Wars/Empire Strikes Back (f*ck the Ewoks)

The Abyss (Sci-Fi does not have to be in space)

Terminator I/II

Predator

(Nice mention on Logan's Run - I thought I was the only one)

Great mentions all, guys. But now an old(ish) dude needs to go retro and pay respect to the classics. I give you:

Forbidden Planet

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

The Day the Earth Stood Still

The Thing (From Outer Space)

Earth vs. The Flying Saucers (don't laugh, this has awesome effects by the incomparable Ray Harryhausen)

Now, granted Blade Runner surely belongs in ANY top 5 list, but since it's already been mentioned, I thought it apt to recognize the "Golden Age", eh?

Edited by BSG

QUOTE (BSG @ Dec 24 2004, 12:24 PM)
Great mentions all, guys. But now an old(ish) dude needs to go retro and pay respect to the classics. I give you:

Forbidden Planet

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

The Thing (From Outer Space)

Earth vs. The Flying Saucers (don't laugh, this has awesome effects by the incomparable Ray Harryhausen)

Now, granted Blade Runner surely belongs in ANY top 5 list, but since it's already been mentioned, I thought it apt to recognize the "Golden Age", eh?

Good call, BSG. "The Day the Earth Stood Still" in particular is an all-time classic. It's chock-full of socio-political commentary, enough to make even Rod Serling blush. Also memorable because Michael Remy played the lead role and everyone thought that it was career suicide because he was too big a star to lead in a "silly sci-fi film" - or so everyone thought. I also enjoyed Forbidden Planet.

Funny story about the The Thing from Outer Space. My Dad has told me on numerous occasions about how he went to see that and his feet never touched the ground on the way home from the theater. He saw it when they still showed newsreels before the show and he says it bothered him for years. I get a kick out of that.

Thanks for sharing.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Dec 23 2004, 08:05 AM)
Blade Runner
Total Recall
Star Wars
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Aliens

I'm not sure if these count as Sci-Fi

Soylent Green
The Omega Man

Oh, I think you're right on target with Soylent Green And Omega Man. Definitely sci-fi. Great movies both. Great call, madra.

and i just have to say...

soylent green is people, it's PEOPLE!

cool.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Dec 23 2004, 08:11 AM)
Alien/Aliens (Best of them all)
Star Wars/Empire Strikes Back (f*ck the Ewoks)
The Abyss (Sci-Fi does not have to be in space)
Terminator I/II
Predator
(Nice mention on Logan's Run - I thought I was the only one)

f*ck the Ewoks indeed. rofl3.gif

I'm not sure I can limit myself to 5 only, but my list of definite classics (as far as I'm concerned) are:

Them! (set the template for Atomic creature features but done with documentary style seriousness)

The Thing From Another World

Blade Runner

This Island Earth (the Mutants creatures are iconic)

Metropolis (the first robot on screen)

Akira (a defining moment is Anime)

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (both the Don Siegel and Phillip Kaufmann versions are paranoia masterpieces)

The Andromeda Strain (redefines the word tension)

2001: A Space Odyssey (pompous and overblown but beautiful)

A Boy and His Dog

Solaris (I've never managed to see the original, but I loved the remake despite George Clooney)

The Time Machine (the orignal of course)

Things to Come (again the original)

Planet of the Apes (yet again the original)

and, despite it not being a film, a special mention has to go to the BBCs TV adaptation of The Day of the Triffids - pure poetry on a low budget.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Dec 26 2004, 04:29 AM)
I'm not sure I can limit myself to 5 only, but my list of definite classics (as far as I'm concerned) are:

Them! (set the template for Atomic creature features but done with documentary style seriousness)
The Thing From Another World
Blade Runner
This Island Earth (the Mutants creatures are iconic)
Metropolis (the first robot on screen)
Akira (a defining moment is Anime)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (both the Don Siegel and Phillip Kaufmann versions are paranoia masterpieces)
The Andromeda Strain (redefines the word tension)
2001: A Space Odyssey (pompous and overblown but beautiful)
A Boy and His Dog
Solaris (I've never managed to see the original, but I loved the remake despite George Clooney)
The Time Machine (the orignal of course)
Things to Come (again the original)
Planet of the Apes (yet again the original)

and, despite it not being a film, a special mention has to go to the BBCs TV adaptation of The Day of the Triffids - pure poetry on a low budget.

Yes! Good choices all. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I especially like your mentions of:

"This Island Earth" (I thought I was the only one who liked this one).

"The Andromeda Strain" (LOVE this flick! And I thought I was weird for liking it so much.)

"A Boy and His Dog" (Excellent! A young Don Johnson and an old Jason Robards.)

"Them!" Yep! Mustn't forget the exclamation mark! THE classic irradiated massive insect movie. The scene with the boy who could only say "them!" still chills me to the bone.

QUOTE (BSG @ Dec 26 2004, 12:13 PM)
"Them!" Yep! Mustn't forget the exclamation mark! THE classic irradiated massive insect movie. The scene with the boy who could only say "them!" still chills me to the bone.

Most of those "the giant insects are coming to get us" films from way back then look silly now in this digital age, but "Them!" still looks really cool!

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 26 2004, 12:59 PM)
QUOTE (BSG @ Dec 26 2004, 12:13 PM)

Most of those "the giant insects are coming to get us" films from way back then look silly now in this digital age, but "Them!" still looks really cool!

yes.gif It does. I just checked this out from the local library. I had not seen it since I was a kid and it was so much fun to see it again after 20+ years. It does still look great.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Apr 29 2005, 12:32 AM)
I'm surprised no one mentioned Dark City

Good call, pedro. Dark City is kinda cultish. It's very different, anyway, and Jennifer Connelly is always easy on the old peepers.

Blade Runner
Aliens
Terminator II
Predator

Replace Predator with Close Encounters of the Third Kind and that would be my list.

Honorable mention would be the original Planet of the Apes, Brazil and 12 Monkeys.

QUOTE (war2112 @ Dec 23 2004, 06:56 AM)
An earlier thread has me going so here's mine. If there are parantheses after the title then that connotates the title and author of the book from which the screenplay was adapted. Here goes...

Bladerunner (Do Androids Dream of Elecric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick)
Alien
THX 1138
Minority Report (also Philip K. Dick)
Logan's Run

And just for fun, how 'bout Woody Allen's "Sleepers" for the comedy sci-fi? biggrin.gif

Star Trek I-VI

Terminator I/II

The Running Man

Total Recall

Brainstorm

In no particular order:

'Galaxy Quest' (Or, as I call it, "the greatest Star Trek movie ever made.")

'Alien'

'Escape From New York'

'Predator'

'Planet Of The Apes' (Greatest twist ending ever!)

Aliens

Terminator II

Twelve Monkeys

The Empire Strikes Back

Close Encounters