Epilepsy, seizures...

Drumnut

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Dec 21 2009, 09:22 AM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Dec 21 2009, 05:18 AM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Dec 10 2009, 10:45 AM)
I'm going to the Psych tomorrow. I'm not sure he is going to be able diagnose me any better than the dumbass neurologist I just saw. From what LSM read & printed out for me to read, an MRI is not effective in diagnosing Post-Concussive Syndrome. It has less than 10% chance of detecting. A qEEG in conjunction with an MRI s about 75% effective. So, why wasn't this used? At least why didn't the Neuro tell me that he couldn't do more tests because they didn't have the equipment....

It's good that you are making a little headway (seriously, no pun intended on this one)

I hope everything went well at your Psych appointment. I don't take any lip from my Neuro these days, I stand up and ask him to have a seat. This has been going on far too long for me, I need to gain better control of my seizures and take my life back. The Neuro I'm seeing now is one I saw here in Vegas before I moved back to Pennsylvania. (What a mistake that was) My Neuro in PA was an idiot. I've learned more about my condition and treatment here on the Internet than I did in my Dr's office in PA. My Dr back here remembers me and wonders why my Dr in PA decreased my meds rather than up them or try a different one. According to the records he has on me here in Vegas, they decreased my meds and had not done anything more for me since I lived here before, not even a new MRI. From what I've read and learned from reading and posting at the Epilepsy Foundation and forum there, I talk to my Dr on "same level terms" as in knowing what the hell I'm talking about. He told me he was impressed at my last appointment with as much as I knew about my condition and treatment. (Thanks to the Interweb) We talked about the meds I've already tried and the surgeries to consider in my case. He sent me for another MRI and a sleep deprived EEG (during which, I did have 3 big seizures which is what I was supposed to do) I'm now taking Keppra along with Lamictal I've been taking for years and we decided Keppra would be the last med to "try" before making the decision for surgery. I'm all for surgery, anything to gain control of my Epilepsy. All we can say after trying surgery is we've tried everything. I'm on disability now and miss working and making money. I miss driving and having any kind of life too. I have been feeling a little "fuzzy headed" at times on this new med and am going to call his office Monday morning about it. He's usually good about calling back or having a nurse call if it's something as simple as a med issue. As I left my last appointment, I said to him, "Consider my condition and I a challenge and if you don't want to, send me to someone who will."

Well, I'm sorry things are so tough for you. I hope you get your life back. As far as my psych appt, he tripped the memory issue. I failed to remember 2 of 3 things. He even tried to help me after & I couldn't get it. 2 of them were 1956 Chevrolet & American flag (I remember the flag now but I still can't remember the third thing).

He was going in either PCS or ADD but is now really leaning towards PCS. He believes me & thinks I am on to something after I gave a quick run down. LSM was supposed to go into the appt with me but the doctor wanted to really work me over. Apparently, it worked.

I go for a follow up visit on the 30th. I think he might be doing a sleep study & possibly a full neuro-psych test. He believes the one I received before was a short one which probably proved nothing but waste my time.

So, here's for getting results for both you & me trink39.gif

Sometimes when I see my neurologist I feel like they're trying to be mind readers. (So to speak) I spend a lot of time online reading about what's going on in my head and am more informed than I think my Dr wants me to be. Talking to my Dr along the same terminology lines they would use on me throws him off a little bit. I think I know a little more about what's going on in my head than he wants me to. The sleep deprived EEG I recently had was different but I haven't really had a chance to talk to my Dr about it. I do have an appointment scheduled and am supposed to talk more about it then. I've done all of the memory tests with other Dr's before but now they tell me I'm beyond that test, they need to probe a little deeper into my brain. (or lack there of) I'm going through every little test they can throw at me. I'd rather try anything and everything before going under the knife. I hope this last test reveals something more than my Dr just telling me to take my drugs and I'll be fine. I've been dealing with this too long and want to get my Epilepsy under control and get some kind of life back. Being on disability and not being able to work or drive are the toughest things for me to deal with. I'm finding that being more informed about what's going on in my head keeps me a step ahead. I'm trying to be a little more patient with my Dr. speaking up more for myself and that seems to help the most, asking questions rather than just getting the same old answers.

BTW, no seizures for me today, spent the day with family friends catching up on old times and doing some good food. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jan 21 2010, 02:07 AM)
Damn, another BIG one yesterday. I did everything I was supposed to, food, drugs, and sleep. angry.gif

hug2.gif

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jan 21 2010, 03:11 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 21 2010, 08:56 AM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jan 21 2010, 02:07 AM)
Damn, another BIG one yesterday. I did everything I was supposed to, food, drugs, and sleep.  angry.gif

hug2.gif

Thanks GG. hug2.gif

Some people don't understand what it's like to live like that...you're doing everything you know to do, it rules your life, and still, sometimes, you get blindsided.

I understand. I wish that helped.

None today but I'm getting sick of the side-effects of all the meds my Dr's have me taking. I want to go back to the one med that worked for me that my Dr took me off of and get off all the garbage I'm taking now.

On edit: LOL! Just as I'm posting this I get a call back from my Dr's office because I'm out of meds. They tell me I'm supposed to be taking a different dose than what the pharmacy has on the bottle. The Dr's office called the script into the pharmacy in the first place. They have me taking a drug and they don't even know how much of it I'm taking.

And they get mad at me when I tell them I want to get off this med that doesn't work for me and back on the one that did work for me?

Edited by Drumnut

None today, it's still time to change drugs though. I'm not really having good seizure control on the one's I'm taking now and hate the side effects. My stomach is always upset and I'm always tired. I can can handle the tired thing, but the not being able to eat isn't good. Not eating right usually leads to a seizure.

None today, I had an appointment w/ my Dr today about possible surgery. I have many other tests to take care of first, but surgery is an option:

Temporal Lobectomy

I told my Dr today, "We either switch my main med from Lamictal to Dilantin, or I just stop taking Lamictal." I have very bad side effects from Lamictal and I'm sick of complaining about it. I used to take Dilantin years ago (and liked it) and was switched to Lamictal after a seizure that wound me up in the hospital. I was never given a reason for the switch at the time. I've been taking as per Dr's orders but have complained about the bad side effects for a long time. I guess this is about the only way I'm going to get off of it short of finding a new Dr.

bekloppt.gif

G/L monday hun hug2.gif

My three year old had seizures. She was on topomax(sp) and phenobarbital. And yeah they both made her sleep all the time. I hated it. Not sure about eating though because she had a feeding tube and we just fed her on a schedule.

Hope you can find the right meds to get your seizures under control.