Epilepsy, seizures...

Drumnut

Are you finding any change since moving to Las Vegas? I know you're warmer, but any change in seizure frequency?

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Nov 5 2009, 01:47 AM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Oct 30 2009, 10:28 PM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Oct 31 2009, 01:05 AM)
None today.... yet...  unsure.gif

Let's hope you get better with help. BTW-I was checked for a possibility of having something like that. I would get odd blackouts for about a second. The neurologist is stumped.

For as far as I know about Epilepsy, it sounds like an Absence Seizure to me also known as a Petit Mal, these are pretty common. I have Gran Mal Seizures. I would seek the opinion of another neurologist. (I'm not a Dr, nor do I play one on TV)

Absence Seizures (also called Petit Mal)

Absence seizures (also called petit mal seizures) are lapses of awareness, sometimes with staring, that begin and end abruptly, lasting only a few seconds. There is no warning and no after-effect.

Hye, I just noticed the link you gave me here. That actually looks close to the issues I have. It's a brief second & most of the people that have witnessed just asked, "are you okay?"

It's very quick & seems odd that I get them. I think I had a panic attack after of these. I was sent to the ER because my heart was going everywhere. The EKG came up with nothing except for them asking if I was athletic because my heart rate is really slow (between 60-70 BPM on an average day...Here, it went down to 50 BPM or lower when I was relaxed)

Thanks for the link! It might give me a little more information. I'm still under the belief that almost all of the symptoms I have are related to that car accident. There are too many coincidences & symptoms not for it to be related.

Oh, on a side note, they did give me an EEG. It came up fine. Although, last night, we were behind a Sheriff's car & the lights were bugging the hell out of me. It was bugging LSM too. The problem is I can't remember how it was bothering me. I just know it did.

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Nov 9 2009, 01:18 PM)
Oh, on a side note, they did give me an EEG. It came up fine. Although, last night, we were behind a Sheriff's car & the lights were bugging the hell out of me. It was bugging LSM too. The problem is I can't remember how it was bothering me. I just know it did.

You said it felt like you were having an anxiety attack...it was just bothering my headache something fierce!

None today! biggrin.gif

My Dr is sending me for a Sleep Deprived EEG. They are going to try to induce a seizure to see if they can tell where they originate. I have to stay awake for 24-36 hours. They said they have Wi-Fi in the hospital so I can bring a laptop in with me. Of all days to have it done will be on my b-day, November 16th. I'll log into TRF and post on how things are going.

Sleep deprived EEG

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Nov 10 2009, 02:37 AM)
None today! biggrin.gif

My Dr is sending me for a Sleep Deprived EEG. They are going to try to induce a seizure to see if they can tell where they originate. I have to stay awake for 24-36 hours. They said they have Wi-Fi in the hospital so I can bring a laptop in with me. Of all days to have it done will be on my b-day, November 16th. I'll log into TRF and post on how things are going.

Sleep deprived EEG

Good luck! They did one of those for me on 5 hours of sleep. I warned them that this is just taking about an hour off my normal sleep schedule.

*WARNING* Since you have epilepsy, you will more than likely get one with this test. I felt VERY uncomfortable with the ones they had. There was a 6 cycle flash, an 18 cycle, & a 36 cycle (or something like that). Then, it will go crazy and go between all of them at different times. The hyperventilation one was not fun either. You have to breath in & out heavy trying to induce the seizure. Things went a little black for me & I was tingling everywhere.

note: had a small anxiety attack this morning. No reason. Just popped up & went away. Oddity....

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Nov 10 2009, 10:21 AM)
None today!  biggrin.gif

Sleep deprived EEG

Good luck! They did one of those for me on 5 hours of sleep. I warned them that this is just taking about an hour off my normal sleep schedule.

*WARNING* Since you have epilepsy, you will more than likely get one with this test. I felt VERY uncomfortable with the ones they had. There was a 6 cycle flash, an 18 cycle, & a 36 cycle (or something like that). Then, it will go crazy and go between all of them at different times. The hyperventilation one was not fun either. You have to breath in & out heavy trying to induce the seizure. Things went a little black for me & I was tingling everywhere.

note: had a small anxiety attack this morning. No reason. Just popped up & went away. Oddity....

Sorry about anxiety attack you had. In a way I hope this does induce a seizure, at least they'll be able to observe what goes on. I want to do whatever it takes to get my seizures under control. Epilepsy has taken any kind of life I thought I ever would have. I want to find the best plan of treatment or surgery if it comes to that to get my seizures under control.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Nov 11 2009, 04:02 AM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Nov 10 2009, 10:21 AM)
None today!  biggrin.gif

Sleep deprived EEG

Sorry about anxiety attack you had. In a way I hope this does induce a seizure, at least they'll be able to observe what goes on. I want to do whatever it takes to get my seizures under control. Epilepsy has taken any kind of life I thought I ever would have. I want to find the best plan of treatment or surgery if it comes to that to get my seizures under control.

Thanks DN!!!

I hope that something can be found out about that. I'm hoping for the best for you. The brain is the one thing that most people can not understand. Even doctors find it hard to.

Another good day! I bought a new laptop today to take with to hospital the day of my sleep deprived EEG. I have to stay awake so they can monitor me and recommended I find something to keep me awake. They have wi-fi in the hospital and said I could bring in a computer. Great excuse to buy that new laptop I've been wanting!

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Nov 12 2009, 01:40 AM)
Another good day! I bought a new laptop today to take with to hospital the day of my sleep deprived EEG. I have to stay awake so they can monitor me and recommended I find something to keep me awake. They have wi-fi in the hospital and said I could bring in a computer. Great excuse to buy that new laptop I've been wanting!

Did you buy it yet? First place you visit on the Web is here, right? tongue.gif

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Nov 12 2009, 10:07 AM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Nov 12 2009, 01:40 AM)

Did you buy it yet? First place you visit on the Web is here, right? tongue.gif

Yep, already added to Favorites wink.gif

Monday 16 Nov 2009, is my birthday! I'll be celebrating by going to Sunrise Hospital & Medical Center for an all-expense paid, 3 day sleep deprived EEG here in fabulous Las Vegas, NV with electrodes glued to my head! I guess the idea is for me to stay awake for 3 days while and induce a seizure to see where they originate.

If you would like to send a Las Vegas-Strip-O-Gram to my room, http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t313/corvettenut/pair.gif the address is:

Sunrise Hospital & Medical Center

3186 S Maryland Pkway

Las Vegas, NV 89109

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Nov 16 2009, 04:42 AM)
Monday 16 Nov 2009, is my birthday! I'll be celebrating by going to Sunrise Hospital & Medical Center for an all-expense paid, 3 day sleep deprived EEG here in fabulous Las Vegas, NV with electrodes glued to my head! I guess the idea is for me to stay awake for 3 days while and induce a seizure to see where they originate.

If you would like to send a Las Vegas-Strip-O-Gram to my room, http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t313/corvettenut/pair.gif the address is:

3186 S Maryland Pkway
Las Vegas, NV 89109

3 days of no sleep???? Ouch. Happy birthday!

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Nov 16 2009, 04:42 AM)

3186 S Maryland Pkway
Las Vegas, NV 89109

I'd send them but I might need for myself too! LOL

LSM? bolt.gif

Well, here I sit @ Sunrise Medical Center in Las Vegas, NV watching Monday Night Football hoping for a seizure to happen. (They have Wi-Fi in the hospital, that's how I'm posting here) I just had dinner (skipping meals can lead to a seizure) I took my meds this morning and they are rationing my doses here in the hospital to slowly bring my med levels down and then abruptly stop them to see if it induces a seizure. Not sleeping right leads to a seizure for me yet they are telling me to get plenty of rest. I just talked to the Dr, and he said I may be a candidate for surgery and that's why they are running this EEG overnight and or for the next few days. I could be here for anywhere from 3-5 days or more if needed. (Maybe a good time to try that quit smoking thing eh? Of course Doc says it is.) He said they hope I do have one when they take me off of my meds so the electrodes they glued to my head will pick it up, and the video camera on the wall will catch it live. If not, I could ask them for a copy of the video of the young nurse that comes to give me my "sponge baths." wink.gif

I guess I'm expected to have a seizure sometime soon so they can record it and go from there... unsure.gif

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Nov 16 2009, 11:28 PM)
Well, here I sit @ Sunrise Medical Center in Las Vegas, NV watching Monday Night Football hoping for a seizure to happen. (They have Wi-Fi in the hospital, that's how I'm posting here) I just had dinner (skipping meals can lead to a seizure) I took my meds this morning and they are rationing my doses here in the hospital to slowly bring my med levels down and then abruptly stop them to see if it induces a seizure. Not sleeping right leads to a seizure for me yet they are telling me to get plenty of rest. I just talked to the Dr, and he said I may be a candidate for surgery and that's why they are running this EEG overnight and or for the next few days. I could be here for anywhere from 3-5 days or more if needed. (Maybe a good time to try that quit smoking thing eh? Of course Doc says it is.) He said they hope I do have one when they take me off of my meds so the electrodes they glued to my head will pick it up, and the video camera on the wall will catch it live. If not, I could ask them for a copy of the video of the young nurse that comes to give me my "sponge baths." wink.gif

I guess I'm expected to have a seizure sometime soon so they can record it and go from there... unsure.gif

Good luck! I hope all goes well.

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Nov 17 2009, 10:24 AM)
Well, here I sit @ Sunrise Medical Center in Las Vegas, NV watching Monday Night Football  hoping for a seizure to happen. (They have Wi-Fi in the hospital, that's how I'm posting here) I just had dinner (skipping meals can lead to a seizure) I took my meds this morning and they are rationing my doses here in the hospital to slowly bring my med levels down and then abruptly stop them to see if it induces a seizure. Not sleeping right leads to a seizure for me yet they are telling me to get plenty of rest. I just talked to the Dr, and he said I may be a candidate for surgery and that's why they are running this EEG overnight and or for the next few days. I could be here for anywhere from 3-5 days or more if needed. (Maybe a good time to try that quit smoking thing eh? Of course Doc says it is.) He said they hope I do have one when they take me off of my meds so the electrodes they glued to my head will pick it up, and the video camera on the wall will catch it live. If not, I could ask them for a copy of the video of the young nurse that comes to give me my "sponge baths." wink.gif

I guess I'm expected to have a seizure sometime soon so they can record it and go from there...  unsure.gif

Yes, good luck bro. I hope this turns out to be the turning point you need.

Just got back from bringing my brother some real food and snapped a quick picture of what I am calling "Cyborg Danny". Check this out:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/rushfannlv/DSC03445.jpg

He's all wired up to a computer that is constantly checking his brain waves. Looks like the cover of Permanent Waves. laugh.gif Neat stuff.

I guess now would be a great time to give that quit smoking thing a try eh? cool10.gif

The Doc was just in and said he was going to write a script for the patch or some gum. I told him I've tried the patch before, but those things don't burn very well when you roll them up and light them... confused13.gif

tongue.gif What the hell, another reason to quit smoking... besides that, the cost is getting outrageous!!!

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Nov 17 2009, 01:18 PM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Nov 17 2009, 10:24 AM)
Well, here I sit @ Sunrise Medical Center in Las Vegas, NV watching Monday Night Football  hoping for a seizure to happen. (They have Wi-Fi in the hospital, that's how I'm posting here) I just had dinner (skipping meals can lead to a seizure) I took my meds this morning and they are rationing my doses here in the hospital to slowly bring my med levels down and then abruptly stop them to see if it induces a seizure. Not sleeping right leads to a seizure for me yet they are telling me to get plenty of rest. I just talked to the Dr, and he said I may be a candidate for surgery and that's why they are running this EEG overnight and or for the next few days. I could be here for anywhere from 3-5 days or more if needed. (Maybe a good time to try that quit smoking thing eh? Of course Doc says it is.) He said they hope I do have one when they take me off of my meds so the electrodes they glued to my head will pick it up, and the video camera on the wall will catch it live. If not, I could ask them for a copy of the video of the young nurse that comes to give me my "sponge baths." wink.gif

I guess I'm expected to have a seizure sometime soon so they can record it and go from there...  unsure.gif

Yes, good luck bro. I hope this turns out to be the turning point you need.

Just got back from bringing my brother some real food and snapped a quick picture of what I am calling "Cyborg Danny". Check this out:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/rushfannlv/DSC03445.jpg

He's all wired up to a computer that is constantly checking his brain waves. Looks like the cover of Permanent Waves. laugh.gif Neat stuff.

I knew it, as soon as you left, they showed up with lunch from the hospital. I hardly ate any of it and told them that I had already eaten. I didn't want them to think I was "not eating" on purpose. I asked them to make note of the fact that I had not, not eaten lunch, I just didn't eat what they brought me.

My Dr just walked in and asked me when I was going to have a seizure? As if I can predict these damn things... He asked what would cause me to have a seizure overnight and I told him: not sleep enough, or eat enough. He told me to stay up all night and we'll see what happens. He thought taking away my meds yesterday would do it. I think we're a long way from a seizure right now.

No sleep, no food, no meds, let's get it on!

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Nov 19 2009, 01:14 AM)
My Dr just walked in and asked me when I was going to have a seizure? As if I can predict these damn things... He asked what would cause me to have a seizure overnight and I told him: not sleep enough, or eat enough. He told me to stay up all night and we'll see what happens. He thought taking away my meds yesterday would do it. I think we're a long way from a seizure right now.

Isn't that the way? They tried to induce my blackouts (whatever they are) or even the dizziness. Won't show up.

I mean, you could be sitting with that doctor a very long time waiting for him to find if you have a seizure. Isn't it true that seizures aren't always induced exactly rather may be induced by those occurrences?

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Nov 18 2009, 09:14 PM)
My Dr just walked in and asked me when I was going to have a seizure? As if I can predict these damn things...  He asked what would cause me to have a seizure overnight and I told him: not sleep enough, or eat enough. He told me to stay up all night and we'll see what happens. He thought taking away my meds yesterday would do it. I think we're a long way from a seizure right now.

Well you better hurry up and have that damn seizure.....you have band practice on Saturday and we need our bass player!!!!!! laugh.gif

You know I'm just kidding. But things do sound much better when you're taking care of the bottom end.

Talk to you soon bro.