Faithless: anyone else really into this one

treeduck

QUOTE (Dave @ May 16 2007, 10:59 AM)
Well, how to believe in god or gods without faith?

I believe someone can be spiritual and not have faith or believe in organized religion. It sounds to me that Neil would rather trust his own moral compass that he knows to be good and true, rather than have faith in what someone in religious guise is telling him.

Exactly.

If you believe that something is true, why do you need to listen to someone tell it to you over and over again while urging you to give them money? confused13.gif

I think it's deeper than that. The theme of FAITHLESS is freedom of believing what you want. Freedom of religion or not, basically. There is a weird passion in this song that has me hooked. And I'm a Christian. I think it's a statement of a freedom to believe in choice. That is our heritage here in America, anyway. Is it being reinforced in a positive way lately? Not really. That is the point of the CD, IMO. It's pretty freaking deep.

The song itself is beautiful. At first it starts with a strong guitar strum. Then Geddy sings about "quietly resiting". Then wow! What a BREAK! The chorus of , "I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in beliefs...you can call me faithless. But I still cling to hope, and I believe in love...and that's faith enough for me." Amazing writing and composition! I have to say that this song has stuck with me the most lately.

Edited by Pwrgirl35

QUOTE (Dave @ May 16 2007, 02:00 AM)
The music of Rush has never been about sex, drugs and rock & roll. Their music has always been on a higher level with positive messages. I don't see these current lyrics, or those from the past being anti-God. However, I do see them as being anti-organized religion. There is a difference.

I believe that a lot of the songs with similar lyrics, past and present, are meant as a slam against the intolerance and ignorance that some fundamentalistic religious beliefs foster.

A common theme I see that runs through many of their songs is a strong belief in humanity and that if we work together, instead of being divisive by religious conviction, we can fix a lot of what we ourselves have somehow screwed up.

In other words, don't blame God for everything that goes wrong, and don't just sit on your butts waiting for him to fix things either. If we work together instead of being divided, we have a good shot at accomplishing something.

These are messages of hope and love for humanity. And what was Jesus's most important commandment? So, how can you get more spiritual than that.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Kudzu @ May 17 2007, 02:14 AM)
QUOTE (Dave @ May 16 2007, 10:59 AM)
Well, how to believe in god or gods without faith?

I believe someone can be spiritual and not have faith or believe in organized religion. It sounds to me that Neil would rather trust his own moral compass that he knows to be good and true, rather than have faith in what someone in religious guise is telling him.

Exactly.

If you believe that something is true, why do you need to listen to someone tell it to you over and over again while urging you to give them money? confused13.gif

Sometimes we forget or never think about a higher power until the

sh*t hits the fan. For me it was my health. It gives you hope, and a belief that things can get better. In Neil's words I guess it would be called our "Armour". I don't press this on anyone, but is my shield.

Edited by hope70

QUOTE (Pwrgirl35 @ May 18 2007, 02:52 AM)
QUOTE (Dave @ May 16 2007, 02:00 AM)
The music of Rush has never been about sex, drugs and rock & roll.  Their music has always been on a higher level with positive messages.  I don't see these current lyrics, or those from the past being anti-God.  However, I do see them as being anti-organized religion.  There is a difference. 

I believe that a lot of the songs with similar lyrics, past and present, are meant as a slam against the intolerance and ignorance that some fundamentalistic religious beliefs foster.

A common theme I see that runs through many of their songs is a strong belief in humanity and that if we work together, instead of being divisive by religious conviction, we can fix a lot of what we ourselves have somehow screwed up.

In other words, don't blame God for everything that goes wrong, and don't just sit on your butts waiting for him to fix things either.  If we work together instead of being divided, we have a good shot at accomplishing something.

These are messages of hope and love for humanity.  And what was Jesus's most important commandment?  So, how can you get more spiritual than that.

goodpost.gif

I second that.

After roughly 30-40 listens of the album now, 'Faithless' has become my personal front runner for 'best song on S&A' honours atm. It's got a vibe to it that does it for me. Great tune....

Faithless funny enough was one of the songs that I didn't quite"get" when I first listened to S and A but many listens later it has now become my favourite. I JUST LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS TUNE.

The guitar in faithless is number two for me next to We Hold On. Such a good, simple riff play with such a tasty guitar tone. I love the way ged comes in playing a totally different rhythm than Alex. It sounds funky!

And it's one of the songs on the album with a solo!

QUOTE (hope70 @ May 18 2007, 08:20 AM)
I can listen to the song and like the way it sounds, but I can't sing the lyrics "I don't have faith in faith", because I do.

I have faith in faith but I sing it anyways because it's catchy as hell. tongue.gif

That's just me, though. laugh.gif

I love the verse lyrics to this one.

And all those shouting voices trying to throw me off my course,

Some by sermon, some by force

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 27 2007, 12:35 PM)
I love the verse lyrics to this one.

And all those shouting voices trying to throw me off my course,
Some by sermon, some by force

Hey GeddyRulz...I'm listening to your station right now and The Wanton Song by Zep is playing! Excellent tune not normally heard on the radio. Do you make your own playlists?

Started off as my favourite song on the album.

Still my favourite song on the album.....

I like it cuz it's real good.

Musically it's their strongest outing in years (I really love the ideas and production...everything). Lyrically though, Neil sounds a like nothing more than a Dawkins suck-up.

Richard Dawkins may be a great Zoologist, or so I've heard, but this book of his the band seem to like so much, The God Delusion, is nothing more than an Athiest manifesto that's trying to wipe faith off the map altogether. The book is a complete insult to the intelligence.

Dawkins, and that other atheist hack Christopher Hitchens, should concentrate on what they know and it sure ain't faith.

Rant over!! biggrin.gif

Edited by Brass Eye

QUOTE (hope70 @ May 15 2007, 05:50 PM)
trying to warm up to the lyrics a bit from a Catholic standpoint.

yep

Eh, I liked it better as "Freewill" or "Ghost Of A Chace" or "Resist" or...well you get the point: it's been done before, only better.

Don't care for the music or lyrics but I'm amazed it's not being played live (yet anyways). I had this gut feeling that they love it & it would be played come hell or high water, much like the equally sucky Larger Boo-woo-ooo-wooo-wwl.

QUOTE (Brass Eye @ Jun 29 2007, 08:45 AM)
The book is a complete insult to the intelligence.

You've obviously never read the book. Anyone who actually has read the book and says it is an "insult to intelligence" is a palpable idiot.