If you hate bridges and hate tunnels

Maddy

Isn't that the Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel? I've driven it, it's no big deal.

Looks like an engineering marvel.

The $64 question is: Did it start off as a bridge and become a tunnel? Or did it start off as a tunnel and become a bridge?

unsure.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ May 12 2007, 08:56 AM)
The $64 question is: Did it start off as a bridge and become a tunnel? Or did it start off as a tunnel and become a bridge?

unsure.gif

I remember watching The History Channel (or was is Discovery?) covering the building of this. I can't remember where it is, but that is one amazing engineering feat. I think I'd prefer this to the George Washington Bridge, which I almost had a heart attack driving over. Big, high bridges creep me out.

QUOTE (sullysue @ May 12 2007, 10:50 AM)

unsure.gif

I remember watching The History Channel (or was is Discovery?) covering the building of this. I can't remember where it is, but that is one amazing engineering feat. I think I'd prefer this to the George Washington Bridge, which I almost had a heart attack driving over. Big, high bridges creep me out.

yes.gif

me too sullysue

i think i saw that same show you did...

we have the windsor tunnel here ...connecting detroit to windsor, right?

it creeps me out to drive thru that too... scared.gif

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ May 12 2007, 11:16 AM)

unsure.gif

yes.gif

me too sullysue

The George Washington Bridge moves too much...yeah I know they need to but damm it's more like a ride than a bridge.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 12 2007, 07:45 AM)
Isn't that the Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel? I've driven it, it's no big deal.

Well, I don't drive yet, but I've been on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and in the tunnnel, and it's no big deal. It's fun actually. yes.gif

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ May 12 2007, 10:16 AM)

unsure.gif

yes.gif

me too sullysue

This is how I remember them explaining why they built the tunnel: There were logistical issues with building a traditional passageway that would accommodate ships passing under, so the engineers came up with the tunnel idea. They sunk the tunnel in large pieces which were sealed at each end then opened up after each one was connected to the other.

Archived