Need help figuring S & A out

ReflectedLight

Hello fellow Rush fans. I need some feedback on how I'm perceiving this

current Rush release. First off, I love the music they have created on Snakes and Arrows, and every time I listen to it, it seems to get better.

Here's where I get a little confused. I am a Catholic and do attend Church when I can. I realize Neil is writing about how he feels towards religion, but am I reading into his lyrics too much? Do I have to agree with his lyrics in order to like the song? I realize what he believes, but

is he saying that religion is wrong? All are welcome on this one.

He's saying that the use of religion to justify attacking people is wrong, and he's also saying that he gets by without being religious and it doesn't make him feel badly. I don't think it's a condemnation of all religion, but it's definitely a condemnation of hateful extremism in religion.

What Kudzu said. yes.gif

I've disagreed with Neil plenty over the years, but I've never let it keep me from enjoying Rush. The religious and political aspects of S&A make it extra personal for some folks, and that's understandable. I think we should try to keep things in perspective here though, were talking about a rock band.

I understand there it's just rock n roll, but I'd like to make a connection

to where I can relate or piece this together with how I feel.

The song "Hope" might have an inner meaning which I care not to discuss, but it's such a beautiful song, and when you use the

song title "Hope", it just connects for me. Just because no matter what happens, there's always hope.

QUOTE (hope70 @ May 5 2007, 07:02 PM)
The song "Hope" might have an inner meaning which I care not to discuss, but it's such a beautiful song, and when you use the
song title "Hope", it just connects for me. Just because no matter what happens, there's always hope.

I personally can't relate to Faithless and The Way The Wind Blows doesn't resonate with me at all lyrically so I avoid them. But other than that S&A is a HUGE album that I'm enjoying big time. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (hope70 @ May 5 2007, 06:02 PM)

I know exactly what you mean. I've somehow always been able to dissociate with what's being said if I disagree, and enjoy the wonderful way it's being expressed and the sincerity of the words. I've also take a cue from Ged and changed the words a bit when I sing them if they really bother me. The songs that effect me the most emotionally are the ones with a sentiment that I can whole heartedly endorse, however.

I too am a Catholic Christian Rush Fan. I have stated before on this blog that Rush music and lyrics have always served as a "preamble" to the Faith I profess, which of course comes not from ourselves. I have just hours ago listened to Neil talking very politely and respectfully about

"faith", how he respects this "quality" when possessed as "armor" rather than as "sword". In one of the songs on this album, the words express implied appreciation of "shepherds who bless and count their sheep". Neil is an appreciater of the "poor in spirit" as I see it, therefore he is "not far from the kingdom of Heaven" to quote the Gospel. I have made it known in this blog that my life has led me to a monastery, although not as a monk but as a hired hand, yet one who appreciates the monastic ideal as blueprint, and those who live it as "role models". This does not preclude me necessarily from listening to Rush and the good and wholesome themes and topics that they write and play about. I love the new album. In fact, if I gave my Abbot a copy of Snakes and Arrows to listen to on a car trip, I am confident he would appreciate this music as the best that Rock and Roll can give. I live and oversee the overflow guest house here at the Abbey, and I am tempted to make a general invitation to Rush fans who may want to come and make a "Rush Retreat" of sorts, especially in light of the two concerts in SL and KC this coming August, both cities being within a few hours of this remote, wilderness monastery. To answer in a nutshell, the music of Rush, and this new album included, nurtures depth in the mind and spirit and prepares the foundations of faith reception and development, as I see it.

QUOTE (hope70 @ May 5 2007, 07:36 PM)
Hello fellow Rush fans. I need some feedback on how I'm perceiving this
current Rush release. First off, I love the music they have created on Snakes and Arrows, and every time I listen to it, it seems to get better.
Here's where I get a little confused. I am a Catholic and do attend Church when I can. I realize Neil is writing about how he feels towards religion, but am I reading into his lyrics too much? Do I have to agree with his lyrics in order to like the song? I realize what he believes, but
is he saying that religion is wrong? All are welcome on this one.

hope70, there is a new interview with Neil (you can listen here) where he does a nice job of explaining things. I think you'd find it enlightening.

QUOTE (slay the dragon @ May 5 2007, 07:28 PM)
I too am a Catholic Christian Rush Fan. I have stated before on this blog that Rush music and lyrics have always served as a "preamble" to the Faith I profess, which of course comes not from ourselves. I have just hours ago listened to Neil talking very politely and respectfully about
"faith", how he respects this "quality" when possessed as "armor" rather than as "sword". In one of the songs on this album, the words express implied appreciation of "shepherds who bless and count their sheep". Neil is an appreciater of the "poor in spirit" as I see it, therefore he is "not far from the kingdom of Heaven" to quote the Gospel. I have made it known in this blog that my life has led me to a monastery, although not as a monk but as a hired hand, yet one who appreciates the monastic ideal as blueprint, and those who live it as "role models". This does not preclude me necessarily from listening to Rush and the good and wholesome themes and topics that they write and play about. I love the new album. In fact, if I gave my Abbot a copy of Snakes and Arrows to listen to on a car trip, I am confident he would appreciate this music as the best that Rock and Roll can give. I live and oversee the overflow guest house here at the Abbey, and I am tempted to make a general invitation to Rush fans who may want to come and make a "Rush Retreat" of sorts, especially in light of the two concerts in SL and KC this coming August, both cities being within a few hours of this remote, wilderness monastery. To answer in a nutshell, the music of Rush, and this new album included, nurtures depth in the mind and spirit and prepares the foundations of faith reception and development, as I see it.

Wow...what an excellent post. Thank you for sharing that perspective. I think a Rush retreat would be an amazing experience.

QUOTE (hope70 @ May 5 2007, 06:36 PM)
Do I have to agree with his lyrics in order to like the song?

Hi, hope70 (and everyone else, first post here):

The music is beautiful, IMHO, and that's certainly reason enough to enjoy the songs whether you agree with the lyrical content or not. As a non-believer I confess I really identify with tracks such as Faithless , but even if I subscribed to a different position I'm sure I couldn't help but be moved by the content.

A contrary example: I think one of the most beautiful, melodic, haunting pieces of music written to date is Johann Sebastian Bach's St. Matthew Passion -- an epic, liturgical choral work dedicated to chapters 26 & 27 of the Book of Matthew. This masterpiece moves and inspires me every time I hear it, my (absence of) religious views notwithstanding.

There's a wealth of such excellent music available (especially Rush!) -- personally, I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about it meshing/conflicting with one's personal religious convictions. It'd be a shame to tune out beautiful music over a simple disagreement with polite, personal observations. That's just how I see it. smile.gif

QUOTE (Kudzu @ May 5 2007, 05:45 PM)
He's saying that the use of religion to justify attacking people is wrong, and he's also saying that he gets by without being religious and it doesn't make him feel badly. I don't think it's a condemnation of all religion, but it's definitely a condemnation of hateful extremism in religion.

goodpost.gif

I think this is the key: although Neil's not "religious" himself, what he's criticizing is not religious belief in itself but the ways in which (misguided) religious beliefs can lead to hateful and destructive thoughts and actions in this world. (At least, that's how I see it, as someone who personally is somewhere between agnostic and deist in the "faith continuum," but who has a lot of direct experience and contact with Christianity.)

To answer hope70's questions:

- Probably.

- No.

- No.

Also, it's discussed in this thread: http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=25631

It got locked because of some inflammatory statements, but there are still some worthwhile comments. I was unable to respond to brownsfan's last post before the thread locked, but he never did point to anything that Neil wrote or said that equated 9/11 and its the western response (as brownsfan put it). Being critical of both sides is not the same thing as saying they're morally equivalent. I mention it here because I see some people getting so overly defensive over Neil's comments on evangelicalism, zealotry, intolerance, and extremism that they find connotations in Neil's lyrics/interviews that were never there.

Another example is this thread in which some people think the line "Christ what have you done" was intended as a criticism of Christ rather than a simple reaction to the kid's suicide: http://www.rushmessageboard.com/cpmb/index...showtopic=10194

While that thread has some interesting interpretations and commentary, I think that's another one of those "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" things.

I don't think the lyrics or Neil himself is anti-religious. I think he's just saying that we should all look into our hearts rather than just blindly following a dogma and allowing religion to become part of our identity, as opposed to a practice that leads to the better of all beings/people. Or something like that smile.gif

Archived