The 'Tombstone' thread

Jack Aubrey

To me, 'Tombstone' is the quintessential post-modern Western. This movie has everything; triumph, tragedy, vengeance, romance, friendship, even 'bad guys' who see the light and join the side of good and justice. Not to mention that this film bulges at the seams with hundreds of quoteworthy lines.

If you haven't seen 'Tombstone', get your hands on a copy and watch it. I cannot recommend strongly enough that you get a copy of the Director's cut, which looks like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/1026952l.jpg

The DVD version which has a black border and a color photo of the main characters on its cover should be avoided like the plague. The Director's cut not only features scenes that aren't in the theatrical version (which I would argue is a crime, because those added scenes make the film much more complete) but also an anamorphic transfer of the film and a DTS soundtrack (which is, of course, so much better than Dolby 5.1).

You just can't go wrong with this one.

Discuss.

January 8th, 1994. Tombstone was our first date. I wonder if we saw a sucky movie if the relationship still would have had such a great start. laugh.gif

I was only thinking about this movie last night, when I was watching 24 and there was Powers Boothe laugh.gif

Fabulous film, oh so quotable, and the gunfight at the OK Corral is brilliantly done (I particularly like that pause just before it all kicks off and Wyatt says "Oh hell", or something like that) new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The whole cast is fantastic. The only other time I've liked Kurt Russell so much is in The Thing. Michael Biehn is very menacing, Sam Elliott and Bill Paxton are spot on, and Val Kilmer was a revelation (he'll never be that good again).

Marvellous biggrin.gif

Doc Before Shooting Ringo - "Im Your Huckleberry"

Doc after shooting Ringo - "Poor soul, he was so high-strung. Afraid the strain was more than he could bear."

Edited by alphseeker

Wyatt: "You gonna do something, or just stand there and bleed?"

1022.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Mar 19 2007, 10:07 PM)
Possibly my favorite movie ever. I never pass a chance to watch it. I have GOT to get that director's cut. Thanks Jack. yes.gif

Anytime! You won't regret it!

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Mar 20 2007, 01:47 PM)
Never seen it. I'll get the DVD.

You're in for a real treat, man!

This movie is one of my all time faves. I feel like such a dunce not knowing there even was a directors cut. I have to see this, and soon! Thanks for the heads up, Jack trink39.gif

So many memorable lines in there. I absolutely love Kilmer as Doc Holliday. He has never been better, and (with respect to Heat mentioned above) he never will be again, I don't think. He was absolutely perfect in that role. His portrayal of Doc Holliday is one of my favorite performances of all time. How that man didn't get an Oscar for that performance was a real crime.

Great thread Jack!! trink39.gif

QUOTE (prog.fusion @ Mar 20 2007, 02:09 PM)
QUOTE (willowroolz @ Mar 19 2007, 06:59 AM)
Val Kilmer was a revelation (he'll never be that good again).

Heat ftw

I like Kilmer. He's had some smaller movies that are really good. He was great in Tombstone though. yes.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Mar 20 2007, 04:57 PM)
QUOTE (prog.fusion @ Mar 20 2007, 02:09 PM)
QUOTE (willowroolz @ Mar 19 2007, 06:59 AM)
Val Kilmer was a revelation (he'll never be that good again).

Heat ftw

I like Kilmer. He's had some smaller movies that are really good. He was great in Tombstone though. yes.gif

He didn't stand out in heat as much as I'd have liked. I didn't really like or dislike his performance because I felt I had nothing to base it on.

However I do like him in The Ghost and the Darkness. Flame me if you must but I really did like that movie.

Kilmer is awesome. He played a wild Jim Morrison.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Mar 20 2007, 06:05 PM)
Kilmer is awesome.  He played a wild Jim Morrison.

Val Kilmer in Entourage.

Now back to Tombstone...A quote for the ladies...

Josephine Marcus: Interesting little scene. I wonder who that tall drink of water is.

Mr. Fabian: My dear you've set your gaze upon the quintessential frontier type. Note the lean silhouette . . . eyes closed by the sun, they're sharp as a hawk. He's got the look of both predator and prey.

Josephine Marcus: I want one.

Mr. Fabian: Happy hunting.

One of my favorites of all time. I have the Director's Cut sitting right here in front of me.. About time to watch it ... again.

My favorite line:

Doc: If you weren't my friend, I don't think I could ... bear it.

(you HAVE to hear Val Kilmer deliver that line.. classic.)

Agreed. Val Kilmer should have won an Oscar for that performance. One of the best acting jobs of all time.