Documentaries

rushgoober

I don't know about you, but I've gotten some truly amazing information in my life from documentaries, especially in the last year or so. These "non-fiction movies", if you will, are informative and educational, and are far more than just pure entertainment in terms of learning about things in the world you might not be able to easily find out about otherwise.

You genearlly have to go through different channels to see documentaries - some are on tv, some you can buy, some friends have given me dvd-r copies of, and many, many can be found on youtube and google video.

Anyway, any other fans of the medium?

yes.gif Love documentaries, just seen a great one on The Dixie Chicks called "Shut up and Sing" based on the 03 incident the aftermath and recovery.

I imagine history series documentaries fit this subject so some of my favorites are by Ken Burns, The Civil War, Baseball(some didn't like this, I thought it was great) and he done a wonderful history of Jazz.

Many more shorter subject documentaries Burns did also.

Can't wait this September WWII is the next major one to be shown by him on pbs.

Edited by softfilter

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Mar 10 2007, 03:09 PM)
I really like Super Size Me.

I almost try to watch this, but figure it might be gross in some spots.

And I wouldn't be able to eat a Big Mac again! (Or any type of meat.) laugh.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (softfilter @ Mar 10 2007, 04:00 PM)

And I wouldn't be able to eat a Big Mac again! (Or any type of meat.) laugh.gif tongue.gif

I truly don't see what the big fuss is over 'Supersize Me'.

I mean, the guy ate nothing but McDonald's food for (I think) three months and he got fat, yet people are surprised by this?! Umm, guys, didn't we already know that would happen?

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 10 2007, 04:28 PM)

I mean, the guy ate nothing but McDonald's food for (I think) three months and he got fat, yet people are surprised by this?! Umm, guys, didn't we already know that would happen?

Born into Brothels beat it out for the Oscar for a good reason.

QUOTE (Barney's Alter @ Mar 11 2007, 12:32 AM)

Born into Brothels beat it out for the Oscar for a good reason.

Now that sounds like my kind of flick!

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 10 2007, 01:28 PM)

dude was weak to begin with: he barfed after the first meal cat.gif

Well now there isn't much fuss. But when it was released it got fuss cause not many people knew how fattening eating Mcdonalds three times a day was.

bumper.gif

I'm surprised I haven't already posted in this thread, because I am a documentary HOUND. I love them. I rent as many documentaries as fictional movies.

bumper.gif

I'm surprised I haven't already posted in this thread, because I am a documentary HOUND. I love them. I rent as many documentaries as fictional movies.

My favorites tend toward either the QUIRKY or the TRUE-CRIME sub-genres. Oscar-winning documentarian Errol Morris has a great catalog of excellent films, especially his first four or five. These include "Gates of Heaven," "Vernon, Florida," "The Thin Blue Line," and "A Brief History of Time." (The first three are available in a boxed set. "Thin Blue Line" is credited with freeing Randall Dale Adams from prison after 12 years; at one point, the innocent Adams was just 48 hours from the electric chair.)

I could recommend over a dozen documentaries, but will only mention a few for now:

Crumb, produced by David Lynch, is the story of quirky underground cartoonist Robert Crumb (Fritz the Cat, Keep On Truckin', Zap Comix). It's almost as disturbing a documentary as Lynch's fictional work - probably because of the existential mood of the film and because of Robert and brother Charles Crumb's psychological problems. (Charles is seen much in the film, but committed suicide before it was released.)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/50/Crumb_Movie_Poster.jpg/394px-Crumb_Movie_Poster.jpg

Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey tells the history of the strange instrument called "the theremin" and its inventor. I was unfamiliar with this bizarre elecronic instrument before seeing the film, but I've wanted one ever since. The theremin is played without any direct contact between instrument and player; the musician moves his/her hands near two antennae, one of which controls volume and the other pitch. It's a strange sight to see someone playing the theremin, because they're essentially just waving their hands through the air and not touching the instrument. The theremin produces an eerie sound, used on the soundtracks to 1950's sci-fi B-movies, avant-garde art music, and some rock music. (You can hear one on the Beach Boys' "Good Vibrations" and Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love.")

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c5/Lydia_kavina.jpg

I watched a documentary about the Lincoln assassination last night, produced by The History Channel, but I felt it was weak. Tonight I'm watching Man on Wire, which won the 2008 Best Documentary Oscar. It's about Philippe Petit's illegal 1974 high-wire walk between the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center. Petit walked between the towers for almost an hour, was arrested, and released. I'll let you know if it's any good.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/54/Man_on_wire_ver2.jpg

That's enough for now...

1. I Know I'm Not Alone...Michael Franti a musician's search for the human cost of war in Iraq, Israel and Palestine. The soundtrack is great and an award winning documentary too. It brought me to tears watching it with Michael and with him telling me some of the stories not in the film.

2. Hoop Dreams

3. When We Were Kings

4. Fahrenheit 9/11

5. Woodstock

6. Who Killed The Electric Car

7. An Inconvenient Truth

8. Zeitgeist I & II

9. March Of The Penguins

10. Super Size Me

11. When We Were Kings....Rumble In The Jungle

12. The Filth and The Fury.....The Sex Pistols Documentary

Peace

QUOTE (mortkort @ Feb 22 2010, 01:16 PM)
district 9.

wait, that didnt happen?!

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Oops, sorry, don't mean to laugh. I heart.gif prawns!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 10 2007, 01:57 PM)
I don't know about you, but I've gotten some truly amazing information in my life from documentaries, especially in the last year or so. These "non-fiction movies", if you will, are informative and educational, and are far more than just pure entertainment in terms of learning about things in the world you might not be able to easily find out about otherwise.

You genearlly have to go through different channels to see documentaries - some are on tv, some you can buy, some friends have given me dvd-r copies of, and many, many can be found on youtube and google video.

Anyway, any other fans of the medium?

Yes, big time. I watch lots of them. They're better than 90% of what else passes as film these days.