Arcade Fire

I've never been a HUGE fan of the Arctic Monkeys. They were fun and catchy but their performance on the webcast today was really great. I had never seen any live material from them but they were great. Good album. I'll have to listen to it a few more times to really form an opinion about it but I enjoyed it. As far as this being an album that defines the decade, I doubt it to be honest but like I said I've never been a huge fan. I would also put Origin of Symmetry and Black Holes before Absolution. Edited by theworkingman

Give them a really good listen. The debut was catchy but Alex's songwriting shines on Favourtie Worst Nightmare. They're really growing together as a band as well which is always exciting.

Have a week where Favourite Worst Nightmare, Humbug and the Last Shadow Puppets' Age of the Understatement are on heavy rotation. You won't be dissapointed.

This list of defining albums of the decade is a bugger to agree on though. I'd put Bloc Party's Silent Alarm, Franz Ferdinand's debut, A Rush of Blood to the Head and Seldom Seen Kid down on my list, but they probably had little to no impact on culture in other areas of the world. Funeral is probably the only one that's really cracked everywhere.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jul 30 2009, 04:47 PM)
Give them a really good listen. The debut was catchy but Alex's songwriting shines on Favourtie Worst Nightmare. They're really growing together as a band as well which is always exciting.

Have a week where Favourite Worst Nightmare, Humbug and the Last Shadow Puppets' Age of the Understatement are on heavy rotation. You won't be dissapointed.

This list of defining albums of the decade is a bugger to agree on though. I'd put Bloc Party's Silent Alarm, Franz Ferdinand's debut, A Rush of Blood to the Head and Seldom Seen Kid down on my list, but they probably had little to no impact on culture in other areas of the world. Funeral is probably the only one that's really cracked everywhere.

I listened to Favourite Worst Nightmares this week and that's probably my favorite album of theirs so far. I'll have to listen to some more stuff though. I'll listen to those other albums (outside of their studio releases) that you mentioned.

Also, that's a pretty solid list (I've probably heard one Bloc Party song in all though) but where is Kid A?

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jul 31 2009, 12:47 AM)

Silent Alarm? Really? It's good, but that's about it for me. The reissue has Two More Years which is a cracking tune.

My top 5 of the decade would be:

Fleet Foxes

Joanna Newsom - Ys

Antony & The Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now

Arcade Fire - Funeral

Republic of Loose - Aaagh!

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Jul 31 2009, 12:54 AM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jul 30 2009, 04:47 PM)

I listened to Favourite Worst Nightmares this week and that's probably my favorite album of theirs so far. I'll have to listen to some more stuff though. I'll listen to those other albums (outside of their studio releases) that you mentioned.

Also, that's a pretty solid list (I've probably heard one Bloc Party song in all though) but where is Kid A?

Radiohead topped the list in the 90's. I was going to put it in, but they had their fun in the previous decade. I've always been of the opinion that established bands never really define more than one decade and it's usually the new bands that do because they capture that generation in more of a way than an established band can. Kid A almost breaks that rule, but not quite.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 31 2009, 09:47 AM)

Silent Alarm? Really? It's good, but that's about it for me. The reissue has Two More Years which is a cracking tune.

Fleet Foxes

Joanna Newsom - Ys

Arcade Fire - Funeral

See, that's the thing. Being 14, hearing that was life-changing. That first crop of indie bands that were coming out; Bloc Party, Kasabian, Franz, KoL etc and I could latch on to them.

For me and most of my group, Silent Alarm defined us at that stage of our lives and still does.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jul 31 2009, 11:25 AM)

Fleet Foxes

Joanna Newsom - Ys

Arcade Fire - Funeral

See, that's the thing. Being 14, hearing that was life-changing. That first crop of indie bands that were coming out; Bloc Party, Kasabian, Franz, KoL etc and I could latch on to them.

For me and most of my group, Silent Alarm defined us at that stage of our lives and still does.

Gotcha.

That album would be The Final Cut for me, and most of the western world hate it. Actually, a lot of PF fans hate it too.

My Top 20 of the Decade:

1. Arcade Fire - Funeral

2. Radiohead - Kid A

3. Green Day - American Idiot

4.Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

5. Sigur Ros - ()

6. Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium

7. Beck - Sea Change

8. White Stripes - Elephant

9. Muse - Black Holes and Revelations

10. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

11. Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

12. Tool - Lateralus

13. Radiohead - In Rainbows

14. Portishead - Third

15. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

16. MGMT - Oracular Spectacular

17. Coldplay - Viva La Vida and Death or All His Friends

18. The Decemberists - Hazards of Love

19. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell

20. Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand

Edited by theworkingman

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Jul 31 2009, 03:45 PM)
My Top 20 of the Decade:

1. Arcade Fire - Funeral
2. Radiohead - Kid B
5. Sigur Ros - ()
7. Beck - Sea Change
12. Tool - Lateralus
14. Portishead - Third

That's a very good list!! trink39.gif

Love Sea Change, his last great album.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 31 2009, 08:08 AM)
QUOTE (theworkingman @ Jul 31 2009, 03:45 PM)
My Top 20 of the Decade:

1. Arcade Fire - Funeral
2. Radiohead - Kid A
5. Sigur Ros - ()
7. Beck - Sea Change
12. Tool - Lateralus
14. Portishead - Third

That's a very good list!! trink39.gif

Love Sea Change, his last great album.

I agree.

Sea Change was his last really outstanding effort and, in my opinion, his best album. Although Modern Guilt and Guero were both solid efforts (Modern Guilt being the best out of his past three).

Edited by theworkingman

Fleet Foxes

Joanna Newsom - Ys

Arcade Fire - Funeral

Make that 6, forgot to add in Explosions In The Sky, All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone. That album is just mental.

I could never fathom ranking the best/most important albums of the decade, that'd be too hard. Listing should be fun;

Arcade Fire - Funeral

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

Beck - Sea Change

Biffy Clyro - Puzzle

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?

Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head

The Darkness - Permission To Land

Elbow - Seldom Seen Kid

Fleet Foxes - S/t

Franz Ferdinand - S/t

Gorillaz - S/t

The Hold Steady - Girls and Boys in America

Interpol - Our Love To Admire

Kasabian - S/t

Last Shadow Puppets - Age of the Understatement

The Mars Volta - De-Loused

Mastodon - Blood Mountain

Muse - Origin Of Symmetry

Muse - Absolution

Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf

The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldier

Sigur Ros - ( )

The Strokes - This Is It

TV on the Radio - Dear Science

White Denim - Fits

White Stripes - White Blood Cells

Vampire Weekend - S/t

I need to get some Arcade Fire.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jul 30 2009, 02:26 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jul 30 2009, 05:40 PM)
QUOTE (theworkingman @ Jul 30 2009, 06:15 AM)
Most likely the greatest album of this decade.

notworthy.gif

Hard to argue with this statement.

It's definitely one of the greatest albums of this decade, Along with Absolution, ( ) and Arctic Monkeys' Humbug.

I hope that the four I've listed above will come to define this decade in years to come.

Agreed FUNERAL, Absolution. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Going to have to take another listen to Humbug, though.

Who else has The Suburbs, the new Arcade Fire CD? I am loving it like crazy so far. It is chock full of great tunes!

Also, the live webcast of their show at MSG last night on youtube, despite some buffering issues at times, was great. They are now at the top of my list of bands I need to see. biggrin.gif

I was gonna get it the day it came out but I got lazy. laugh.gif I'm in Atlanta now so I think I'm gonna find a Best Buy tomorrow on the way home and pick it up... and maybe a few other 2010 releases.

Oh, and it will be my first Arcade Fire purchase. I think I've heard maybe one or two of their songs while I was up in Canada, but I haven't heard Funeral or Neon Bible yet. Sue me.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Aug 6 2010, 02:04 PM)
I was gonna get it the day it came out but I got lazy. laugh.gif I'm in Atlanta now so I think I'm gonna find a Best Buy tomorrow on the way home and pick it up... and maybe a few other 2010 releases.

Oh, and it will be my first Arcade Fire purchase. I think I've heard maybe one or two of their songs while I was up in Canada, but I haven't heard Funeral or Neon Bible yet. Sue me.

Here's a start:

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Aug 6 2010, 10:49 PM)
How did it take this long for anybody to talk about the new album on here? 17 hair-metal polls were clearly more important.

But the new album is great. Far better than Neon Bible.

Far better? Really? I can't wait to hear it.

I have not listened to 'The Suburbs' yet but I am hearing generally negative reviews nearly everywhere...

I'm still going to listen to it...just pointing out the fact that it doesn't seem to be getting much good said about it, yet...

Edited by Rush!