The Macallan

HAZMAT001

QUOTE (Slim @ Feb 20 2006, 07:17 PM)
I'm sure they must have done to a degree; I've seen so many posts from Rush fans who've tried the Macallan, and this thread is testament to that phenomenon biggrin.gif

In all seriousness I would urge people keen to try a single malt to seek out other brands; there are many better alternatives than the Macallan. I like Islays myself, but if you want to stick with a Speyside, the Glenlivet is much nicer than the Macallan in my view. It has a lovely velvety edge, where the Macallan tends to be rather nondescript.

I'll admit, I had never heard of the Macallan until I read Ghost Rider earlier this year. So when a local shop was having a big sale a few months back, I picked up a bottle of 12-year.

I've never really been a scotch drinker (or any kind of whiskey, for that matter), but I think it's pretty good stuff! Of course every time I have some I like to imagine I'm communing with Neil, but then again I'm sure that's why every (or at least most) Macallan-drinking Rush fans have chosen it. wink.gif

QUOTE (Room 34 @ Dec 10 2006, 04:20 PM)
QUOTE (Slim @ Feb 20 2006, 07:17 PM)
I'm sure they must have done to a degree; I've seen so many posts from Rush fans who've tried the Macallan, and this thread is testament to that phenomenon biggrin.gif

In all seriousness I would urge people keen to try a single malt to seek out other brands; there are many better alternatives than the Macallan. I like Islays myself, but if you want to stick with a Speyside, the Glenlivet is much nicer than the Macallan in my view. It has a lovely velvety edge, where the Macallan tends to be rather nondescript.

I'll admit, I had never heard of the Macallan until I read Ghost Rider earlier this year. So when a local shop was having a big sale a few months back, I picked up a bottle of 12-year.

I've never really been a scotch drinker (or any kind of whiskey, for that matter), but I think it's pretty good stuff! Of course every time I have some I like to imagine I'm communing with Neil, but then again I'm sure that's why every (or at least most) Macallan-drinking Rush fans have chosen it. wink.gif

The Glenlivet is a beautiful malt. Some other ones you must try are Laphraoig, Lagavullin, Cregganmore and Ardbeg.

There are some kick-ass Irish malts as well.

Redbreast

Bushmill 16 yr old (The best in my opinion)

Tyrconnell

Midleton Very Rare - outstanding-at 125 bucks a bottle, it should be.

The Macallan is a fine malt, but strictly mid-table, like Glenfiddich.

And NEVER DRINK MALT WITH ICE!!! (What is Neil thinking? You're killing the flavour. Just add a drop of water, that's all it needs to release the flavours.)

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 14 2006, 08:07 AM)
And NEVER DRINK MALT WITH ICE!!! (What is Neil thinking? You're killing the flavour. Just add a drop of water, that's all it needs to release the flavours.)

I agree. I tried my Macallan with ice a couple of times and that's exactly what I experienced.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 14 2006, 03:07 PM)
Bushmills 16 yr old (The best in my opinion)

Middleton Very Rare - outstanding-at 125 bucks a bottle, it should be.

Bushmills is the best, smoothest and oldest distilled whiskey yes.gif

I've never tasted Macallan but it would have to be good to be better than Bushmills.

If you're ever over in Northern Ireland go to the distillery in Bushmills and get yourself a bottle of the Special Reserve (only available from the distillery) - I've yet to taste a better whiskey.

Scotch : A fine one is Tallisker from the Isle of Skye yes.gif

Edited by nebbish

QUOTE (nebbish @ Dec 14 2006, 03:08 PM)

I've never tasted Macallan but it would have to be good to be better than Bushmills.

If you're ever over in Northern Ireland go to the distillery in Bushmills and get yourself a bottle of the Special Reserve (only available from the distillery) - I've yet to taste a better whiskey.

Wow, Special Reserve, might have to take a long drive some day!!

Yeah, Talisker is a right touch.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 14 2006, 04:10 PM)
QUOTE (nebbish @ Dec 14 2006, 03:08 PM)

Wow, Special Reserve, might have to take a long drive some day!!

Yeah, Talisker is a right touch.

Well I drove to the Isle of Skye to visit the distillery there, so the least you could do is drive to Bushmills tongue.gif

Whiskey and water? I have a hard time with a whiskey float, let alone W&W. Yes, I know it's a splash but still, it's hard to fathom. Ice? I'll drink Mac or Livet or Fiddich with ice to keep my drink cool but the ice would be on the outside of the cup. I'm weird. As for Neil drinking with ice? When he's in a cheap hotel, he's drinking Macallan, so you think that drinking Macallan with ice is a big hoot? Just kidding. The guy is eccentric

Highland Park 18YO is the one to get. Absolutely lovely, just the right amount of peat and smokiness and very smooth. Put ice in it and I'll have to come round and give you a sound thrashing. laugh.gif

Just down the road is the Scapa distillery, another stunner. It's standard bottling (14 YO) gives the standard HP 12YO a good run for its money.

If you are after something smooth but fiery go for one one of the south coast Islays (Ardbeg, Lagavullin or Laphroaig). The first time I had Lagavullin I thought I was chewing on a camp fire that had been dosed with sea water laugh.gif You get used to it - but it's not one for guzzling in quantity.

Just joking, I know nothing about Scotch. I suggest having it with ice and orange juice in a tall glass with a little cocktail umbrella sticking out the top.

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (pedro @ Dec 28 2006, 05:24 PM)
Highland Park 18YO is the one to get. Absolutely lovely, just the right amount of peat and smokiness and very smooth. Put ice in it and I'll have to come round and give you a sound thrashing. laugh.gif

Just down the road is the Scapa distillery, another stunner. It's standard bottling (14 YO) gives the standard HP 12YO a good run for its money.

If you are after something smooth but fiery go for one one of the south coast Islays (Ardbeg, Lagavullin or Laphroaig). The first time I had Lagavullin I thought I was chewing on a camp fire that had been dosed with sea water laugh.gif You get used to it - but it's not one for guzzling in quantity.

Just joking, I know nothing about Scotch. I suggest having it with ice and orange juice in a tall glass with a little cocktail umbrella sticking out the top.

rofl3.gif

HOLD THY TONGUE EARLY TIMES DRINKER!

Just kidding. Macallan is great, try it. Sip it slowly with a good cigar

Having tried all of the Macallans( and loved them), IMHO, the 18yr old was smoother than the 25.

The 30 really has great suttle flavors.

and the Elegencia is almost as good as the Grande Reserve

(Which is the smoothest Macallan I have ever had)

If you are in NJ, I invite you to come on over and taste test for your self.

David martini_shaken.gif

Lucky! Got a pic of Ged and Al. I wonder what happened to the Macallan stock after Neil admitted to drinking Macallan? But guess what, I spoke to employees of high-end scotch stores and said that customers bought a lot of Macallan and said it was because of Rush. Of course, they didn't know who Rush was wtf.gif

Thank you. The pictures were taking when they came in for Radio interview in NYC.

Actually, the Macallan shortage started a few years b4.

(Trust me, I was feeling it)

One supplier told me that it was because the Japanese were buying whole barrels straight from Scotland. A different supplier told em that it was because 18-25 years b4, the people at Macallan had not anticipated the surge in demand.

Either way, if you know anyone going to Canada, ask then to p/u a bottle of Elegencia for you.

It tastes as good as the 18 yr old, but won't cost more than 50$

David martini_shaken.gif

Had my first taste of the Mac 25 tonight. Very smooth indeed, certainly better than the 12 and it better be for the $100 a shot they were asking at Bob's! Since I was paying $40 for a steak at the bar I asked for a little sample. wink.gif The adorable server girl told me she thought the 18 was just as good, but I couldn't talk her into a taste of that too. wtf.gif I think she was just giving me a hard time, a favor I would have loved to have returned. Maybe I'll try taking some of the 18 to this years shows with me instead of the 12.

BTW David, Ged does not look too pleased in that picture! Are you standing on his foot? laugh.gif

Hey WC, you're right about the pic of Geddy. ohmy.gif

I always attributed it to the sub-zero temp that night.

I'm glad that you got the opportunity to try the 25 yr old.

martini_shaken.gif

Hey, this is my first post here, I'm a n00b...be gentle!

I tried The Macallan after reading up on it in "Ghost Rider"; It's pretty good and I always keep a little here, "for medicinal purposes". So far, this last fifth has lasted over a year! The last time I took a shot was when my buddy Larry was killed in a Jeep accident last Labour Day weekend by Mount Rainier...long story. Think I'll end the abstinence tonight with a half-shot...

"A drink for the living, a toast to the dead..."

QUOTE (spork_the_mortals @ May 21 2007, 11:38 PM)
Hey, this is my first post here, I'm a n00b...be gentle!

I tried The Macallan after reading up on it in "Ghost Rider"; It's pretty good and I always keep a little here, "for medicinal purposes". So far, this last fifth has lasted over a year! The last time I took a shot was when my buddy Larry was killed in a Jeep accident last Labour Day weekend by Mount Rainier...long story. Think I'll end the abstinence tonight with a half-shot...

"A drink for the living, a toast to the dead..."

sad.gif

Welcome to TRF!

Just capped off a NY Strip steak dinner with my dad, father-in-law and brother-in-law with an ounce of the 12-yr old.

Slainte, and Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there. trink39.gif

Edited by Warren Cromartie