The Macallan

HAZMAT001

I was at a Bar-Mitzva and they had 12 year old Macallan.

It was much better than I had expected. I've never had the 12. tongue.gif

David martini_shaken.gif

Macallan is great - and the older it is, the smoother it is. My particular favourite single malt is Oban. FANTASTIC whisky!

Scots do add water to their wee dram. However, my father, (who is Irish BTW), took great pains to explain that the only thing you should add to a single malt, is another measure of single malt!

I would recommend that if any non Brits come over to the UK, then a visit to Scotland should also include a visit to the Whisky Trail in Speyside. This is a couple of hours drive from Glasgow or Edinburgh. Spectacular scenery on the way. Spend a day (or two) doing the tour of the better whisky distillieries. The best tour IMO is the Glenfiddich distilliery, followed by the Glenlivet tour. Really interesting if you like that sort of thing - and you get a free drink at the end of course.

When in Ireland, I like Bushmills, but I much prefer the Guinness!!

ANother good single malt to try is ABERLOUR and BALVENIE. I recommend the BALVENIE 12 year double cask, or ABERLOUR A'BUNADH, which is CASK STRENGTH,about 59.3 percent ABV. Very flavorful, but i use a little bit more water to "cut" the alcohol burn a bit.

My usual stock for everyday useage, is GLENLIVET 12year or GLENFIDDICH 12 year old .

I did try LAGAVULIN 16 year old, and felt it was a bit too peaty for my taste. I did like LAPHROIG 10 year old( both being from the ISLAY REGION) and that was good.

Man i'm parched.......anyone for a wee dram????

trink39.gif

Photo taken at Stout NYC right before The Garden, Grady!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/lakesidemaiden/TheMacallen.jpg

No Macallan was actually consumed, because at $18 per shot, none of us could really afford it. I do plan on trying it at least once tho yes.gif

Edited by LakesideMaiden

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Sep 20 2007, 10:43 PM)

No Macallan was actually consumed, because at $18 per shot, none of us could really afford it. I do plan on trying it at least once tho yes.gif

I hope that price is for the 18. Its highway robbery for the other two since you can buy a bottle of 10 or 12 here for under $40.

My dad was up for a visit last week so I picked up a bottle of 12 year.........man oh man, talk about smooth!

We finished off the bottle in about 4 days. What a great father/son activity.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Sep 21 2007, 09:43 AM)
QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Sep 20 2007, 10:43 PM)

No Macallan was actually consumed, because at $18 per shot, none of us could really afford it.  I do plan on trying it at least once tho yes.gif

I hope that price is for the 18. Its highway robbery for the other two since you can buy a bottle of 10 or 12 here for under $40.

I think it was...they probably have the others set to $10 and $12 a glass confused13.gif Necro only asked about the BEST - which was the 18 yes.gif

I have recently gotten into whisky. First it was irish whiskey, some bourbon and now scotches. The irish stuff is a bit sweet for me although it is very smooth. The bourbon I tried, Makers Mark, is was to sweet to me new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif As far was scotch. I like Johnny Walker Black, Teacher's and Dewer's 12 for blends. As far as single malts go, I have not had much yet. The Glenlivet and Glenmorangie were very good to me, but The Macallan 12 tasted to much like rubber to me! new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif Sorry Neil, I love ya, but..................Anyways, I guess I am not much for sherry cask stuff. I think i'll try Highland Park 12 next.

I can afford it. I'm just not sure what I'll tell the mortgage company when I can't pay the bill after I ge thte bottle! oops.gif

If you are travelling over seas, get the Elegencia.

I did and it tastes like the 18 yr old!

(But only cost 60 bucks!!!)

I got a bottle of The Macallan 12 this weekend and tried it again. This time around I enjoyed it much more than the first time I had it. Although it is not one of favorite Speyside drams, it is pretty good.

Having some 10-yr right now.

First time.

I got it this week in Alberta, was only 40$ in Calgary, I live in Vancouver, its $65++ here.

Quite nice, very smokey and deep.

Ahhhh theres another sip....

=P

Whilst in the US on holidays I picked up a bottle of Balvenie 15yr for $57. Which is basically for free! (Excise duty on booze in Ireland makes the price of all booze prohibitive)

Beautiful, very smoky, but mellow.

My sister-in-laws neighbours and I emptied it's contents one night.

Whilst imbibing the Balvenie, one of the guys introduced me to Jack Daniels "Green Label", very sweet, much more palatable than the standard black Jack. I've never come across this before. It's also much cheaper. Is it popular in the US?

I was flying back from Israela nd I picked up one of the replicas for $128. We are saving it. I did get the Elegencia last year and it is smooth. Reminds me of the Grande Reserve (Which I can no longer find)