49 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the better drummer?

• Gavin Harrson
    • Mike Portnoy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love everything that Portnoy does, BUT, I also have a special place in my heart for PT. Both drummers are different in what they do technically just as in both bands are different stylistically (i.e. Harder stuff and mellower stuff).

It's a tie in my case, but since we had to choose I went with Portnoy.

Gavin is among the most intriguing drummers I've ever heard and that's why I ticked the box next to his name. I think he's far more creative and operates within much broader drumming spectrum than Mike. Mike is also a good drummer, but very much overrated due to his presence in DT.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Sep 21 2007, 10:11 PM)
I love PT, but Harrison can't hold a candle to Portnoy's raw talent.

rofl3.gif

That is funny!

edit: Yeah, I bumped this because of the other thread where MP beat out NP and GH came into the discussion.

Edited by Gompers

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Feb 19 2007, 12:35 PM)
QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Feb 19 2007, 11:19 AM)
QUOTE (Low Rider @ Feb 19 2007, 10:02 AM)
I can't even listen to DT. All that double bass just kills it for me. Here Gavin is the master, he is second only to one.

Gavin uses double bass also.

Oh, I didn't even know. I really need to listen more to Gavin/PT. I'm sure he's gotta be doing something I would like, if I would just listen to more of their material.

Gavin doesn't play so much of the machine gun DBs. His DB technique is really unique, IMO.

Portnoy.

But this choice is extemely bias because Dream Theater has been on of my favorite bands for almost 20 years now and Portnoy is one of my favorite drummers ever. I never even heard of the other guy until he was mentioned in that other thread.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Gavin is a better Prog drummer. Portnoy is a better Metal drummer. I think they both do Everything well. No reason you can't like both.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 29 2012, 09:47 AM)
Gavin is a better Prog drummer. Portnoy is a better Metal drummer. I think they both do Everything well. No reason you can't like both.

Their is on the internet. Apparantly on the webs you have to choose. atickhum.gif bacon.gif

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Feb 15 2007, 10:39 PM)
Both drummers have completly different playing styles.
Portnoy is just plain out good.
Gavin is the most original drummer out there now imo.

Agreed..

Portnoy has more "umph" and certainty more flair

Harrison has more flow and more technique

Edited by The Owl

One problem I have with Portnoy is that he has trouble holding back when it's appropriate to hold back, there's nothing shameful about playing simple drum patterns if the music calls for it... instead he insists on going all out on every thing he does...

With the DT or LTE stuff it's not a bother, but it is obvious whenever he performs a cover version of another song, or on some of his other projects... like Transatlantic.... though he did manage to not overplay on most of the Flying Colors album, so I commend him there..

QUOTE (Roddy @ Feb 15 2007, 10:30 PM)
From what I've heard, which is everything DT have done, and a fair amount of PT now, I reckon Mike could outplay PT's drummer with one arm and one leg tied behind his back. And DT make PT sound like nothing whatsoever.
No contest at all either way, IMO....

...ummm Gavin...according to drummers and actually musicians...can actually run circles around portnoy. But in PT he never demonstrates his full potential.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jun 30 2012, 08:45 AM)
From what I've heard, which is everything DT have done, and a fair amount of PT now, I reckon Mike could outplay PT's drummer with one arm and one leg tied behind his back. And DT make PT sound like nothing whatsoever.

...ummm Gavin...according to drummers and actually musicians...can actually run circles around portnoy. But in PT he never demonstrates his full potential.

True.

If you want full power Gavin, check out the records he did with 05Ric.

The only way I can possibly believe you're not trolling is if the only PT material you had heard (back in 07, when you submitted the reply) was Pre-In Absentia when Maitland was the drummer. Then I would agree.

However, between Portnoy and Harrison. That's not even a contest. Harrison destroys Portnoy as easily as a 300 lb professional linebacker tackling a toddler playing pee-wee football, while blindfolded and filing his taxes.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 29 2012, 07:42 AM)
Portnoy.

But this choice is extemely bias because Dream Theater has been on of my favorite bands for almost 20 years now and Portnoy is one of my favorite drummers ever. I never even heard of the other guy until he was mentioned in that other thread.

Then you have been seriously missing out my friend. Go listen to 'anesthetize' right now.

QUOTE (xx2112xx @ Jun 30 2012, 05:07 PM)

The only way I can possibly believe you're not trolling is if the only PT material you had heard (back in 07, when you submitted the reply) was Pre-In Absentia when Maitland was the drummer. Then I would agree.

However, between Portnoy and Harrison. That's not even a contest. Harrison destroys Portnoy as easily as a 300 lb professional linebacker tackling a toddler playing pee-wee football, while blindfolded and filing his taxes.

Whatever happened to Roddy?

There was a time on here, and bear in mind that this is an old thread, that Portnoy was perceived as being much better than Harrison by many people. So at the time I believe Roddy was being serious.