Great 'sounds' in the songs

Pags

QUOTE (RushGuru @ Feb 19 2005, 01:19 AM)
In Hemispheres during the harmonics part of Prelude. That whole part sounds awesome. But i especially love when Neil hits the tiny bell in the pause. One of my favorite songs to air drum to. NeilFinal.gif

NICE!!!!

That's what I'm talkin' about!!! 653.gif 653.gif

goodpost.gif

I HATE <seeting with anger> that low rumbling in Distant Early Warning before the vocals...always thought my CD was messed up...grrr

QUOTE (Jack Secret @ Feb 19 2005, 08:23 AM)
I HATE <seeting with anger> that low rumbling in Distant Early Warning before the vocals...always thought my CD was messed up...grrr

That's so funny - I was just listening to that song yesterday and was thinking how much I love that!! laugh.gif That little rocket ignition sound and the rumble that follows is so cool to me. icon_really_happy_guy.gif

One Little Victory @ 0.56 seconds.

Just as the drum onslaught intro ends, on the first beat of the music played during the verse. Have your balance set to the right channel only, and listen to Alex's single note. It's just..... cool. cool.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Mar 3 2005, 11:21 PM)

Just as the drum onslaught intro ends, on the first beat of the music played during the verse. Have your balance set to the right channel only, and listen to Alex's single note. It's just..... cool. cool.gif

Pags, I dont know how may people have a remastered version yet...

poor them... 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Mar 3 2005, 11:47 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Mar 3 2005, 11:21 PM)

Just as the drum onslaught intro ends, on the first beat of the music played during the verse.  Have your balance set to the right channel only, and listen to Alex's single note.  It's just..... cool.  cool.gif

Pags, I dont know how may people have a remastered version yet...

poor them... 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Just contact MITA. biggrin.gif He is quite talented, and did an awesome job.

I think it could heard either way though. But I must admit, since listening to it on this remastered version - I'm hearing sooooo much in the songs I never heard before.

Ok here's another one I just found.

The "knock knock" in One Little Victory - 2:07 - Just as Getty is holding the "E" sound of Victory.....listen in the background for this double knock sound. It's audible in the original release, but hard to hear. In the remaster version from MITA, it stands out quite clearly.

All posts in green today

Here's a few of my favorites:

Territories - Ged's synth work to start the song, especially when he plays the melody, then hits you in the face with a chord, then resumes the melody. Alex's main riff during the verses; I think he starts out palm muting it through the first verse, then just lets it GO! Then Ged plays a similar version on synth during the second verse. I LOVE that riff.

Marathon on ASOH - During Alex's solo, Ged plays a few extra synth melodies which add a great touch; I don't think this is done on the studio version. Then near the end Neil drops the tempo right before the final synth melody.

Mystic Rhythms on ASOH - I think the synth programming for this was better than for the studio version. The synth bassline has a more primal edge to it. The melody synth also has a prettier sound. Now if Neil's drum track from the studio was added to this, OH BABY!

Red Sector A - Neil's rhythm on the hats in the beginning builds up to great sound on the toms and his fills that intro the chorus.

Time Stand Still - During Alex's solo, there is beatiful humming in the background. I think Aimee Mann did this also.

Tai Shan - The selection of instruments, even if they are electronically reproduced, is very fitting. It makes you feel like you really are in China on the Sacred Mountain.

The Pass - The cohesion of the trio, with Ged's bassline going into Alex's chord then into Neil's beat, is truly beautiful. There's also a beautiful wood flute sound in the middle of the second verse.

War Paint - Even though the guitar riff during the chorus is simple, it still sounds great. The third chorus, with Ged's bass and synth, combined with Neil's snares, adds to a powerful song.

Leave That Thing Alone on DS - great rhythm on the synth. There's sections where the guitar and bass play so close together, it's hard to discern one from the other.

Edited by Arndrake

For some reason the little five note keyboard thing right after the guitar solo starts in "Turn The Page" always gets my attention, (at least I think it's a keyboard).

There are so many cool moments like that in Rush songs. I guess that's why we love them. wub.gif

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Mar 31 2005, 11:43 AM)
Driven from Different Stages - Right before the bass solo, you can hear a fan say "It's okay Alex, shake it off!" I laughed when I heard this.

I HEARD IT!!! THAT GUY IS HYSTERICAL laugh.gif

There are some awesome sounds throughout "Manhattan Project", and i love the sound produced on the downbeat at the build in the 5/4 part of the trees!!!

Analog Kid: the sound during the chourus, especially right before, "you move me you move me...."

Kid Gloves: the guitar intro!!!

i could go on forever, but i wont.

Guest Quigley_Moog
How about the single bell/chime noise in Witch Hunt of MP? That is a great little accent. This noise is produced on an Oberheim OB-X BTW. Edited by Quigley_Moog

I find it ammusing on ATWAS when geddy says "one two buckle my shoe" durring In The End

Some other special Rush moments for me:

2112 - * Discovery, where he's picking at the guitar and slowly draws a joyful chord out of it. (I think it's a chord, I don't know guitar playing).

* The opening to The oracle. It's so melodic and ethereal, I get chills.

AFTK - In Closer To The Heart where Geddy says "Whoa Whoa!" right before the "You can be the captain.." verse.

Permanent Waves - In Natural Science where right after Geddy says "...our causes can see their effects.", the snappy drum fill Neil does there.

Hemisperes - The guitar solo in The Trees. Also in the same solo where Neil punctuates

it with gourds or whatever they are.

Moving Pictures - In Red Barchetta right after Geddy says "...to where my white haired uncle waits.", where the song really picks up the pace and the drum fills Neil does. (Do you see a pattern here? Can anyone tell I'm a fan of Neil's and of drumming?)

* The drumming Neil does before each section in The Camera Eye.

Signals - At the end of Digital Man where Geddy makes it sound like he's bored and says "Because he happens to be a...digital...man

GUP - *The guitar solo in Kid Gloves and the drumming Neil does in it.

* The guitar solo in Between The Wheels.

* The guitar solo in Afterimage. I'd swear the guitar is weeping.

Power Windows - At the beginning of The Big Money right after Geddy says "...big

money make no sound." that rip up the guitar fret that Alex does. It sounds

like WOW!

* In Middletown Dreams where Geddy lets out an anguished cry right after

the verse: "Another day as drab as today, is more than a man can endure."

* The drumming in Mystic Rhythms, in certain parts it sounds like it's coming

from the other side of reality.

Hold Your Fire - * The outro solo in Open Secrets.

* At the end of Prime Mover where the words just kind of soar and

never end; they just fade away: "Anything CAAAaaa..." This one I think is my all time favorite Rush moment. Can you see the gooseflesh on my arm?

* The opening drum sequence in High Water.

ASOH - The guitar solo in Witch Hunt.

* The party-like ending they tacked on to Closer To The Heart. I love

the way it builds and builds and explodes into that machine gun drumming

Neil does.

Presto - * In Superconductor where at the end of the song where Geddy says "That's

entertainment." You can hear the sarcasm in his voice.

* In Hand Over Fist where Geddy says "I feel my spirit resist, but I open up

my fist. Lay hand over hand over..hand over fist..."

* The guitar solo in Available Light. It sounds so plaintive I wanna cry.

Roll The Bones - The outro solo to You Bet Your Life.

Test For Echo - The drum fill that comes in right after the guitar solo and right before

Geddy starts singing again.

Vapor Trails -* The in-your-face-ending to Ghost Rider. Every time I hear it I wanna

shout "F*ck Yea!"

* The drumming at the end of Secret Touch.

* That little playful riff at the end of Out Of The Cradle gets me every

time.

Well that's about it until I think of some others, and I'm sure I will. An hour from now I'm gonna slap my forehead and say "Why didn't you include that one!?"