The Greatest British Rock Band

Kudzu

What is the greatest British rock band?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What is the greatest British rock band?

• Fairport Convention
    • Pink Floyd
    • The Beatles
    • King Crimson
    • Led Zeppelin
    • The Who
    • The Rolling Stones
    • The Kinks
    • Cream
    • Radiohead
    • Jethro Tull
    • Yes
    • Coldplay
    • Marillion
    • Queen
    • Genesis
    • Emerson, Lake & Palmer
    • Supertramp
    • Def Leppard
    • Arctic Monkeys
    • Fleetwood Mac
    • Iron Maiden
    • Muse
    • Deep Purple

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 26 2007, 11:20 AM)
QUOTE (nebbish @ Jan 26 2007, 10:12 AM)
Page, Plant, Jones & Bonham

They sorted out my income tax last year. Great firm. tongue.gif

Yeah..me too!

I made a mistake on mine and they said it was Nobody's Fault But Mine

QUOTE (nebbish @ Jan 26 2007, 02:23 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 26 2007, 11:20 AM)
QUOTE (nebbish @ Jan 26 2007, 10:12 AM)
Page, Plant, Jones & Bonham

They sorted out my income tax last year. Great firm. tongue.gif

Yeah..me too!

I made a mistake on mine and they said it was Nobody's Fault But Mine

laugh.gif

voted for Radiohead...go ahead and mock me....

I think that The jam should have definitely been on the list.....critical favorites, and popular, genre bending, and Weller called it quits at the top of thier popularity

...anyway...

QUOTE (Skirmshander @ Jan 26 2007, 02:30 PM)
I think that The jam should have definitely been on the list.....critical favorites, and popular, genre bending, and Weller called it quits at the top of thier popularity
...anyway...

Weller's a god and his solo career is excellnet too. Saw him the other month live 1022.gif

Radiohead are one of the best British bands of modern times without a doubt yes.gif

QUOTE (Huck @ Jan 26 2007, 10:33 AM)
...anyway...

Weller's a god and his solo career is excellnet too. Saw him the other month live 1022.gif

Radiohead are one of the best British bands of modern times without a doubt yes.gif

Thanks!

he's totally underappracited in the US, but he doesn't seem to care anymore (which is cool, aside from the fact that i nver get to see him anymore)

QUOTE (Skirmshander @ Jan 26 2007, 02:54 PM)
...anyway...

Thanks!

he's totally underappracited in the US, but he doesn't seem to care anymore (which is cool, aside from the fact that i nver get to see him anymore)

Following his award at the Brits I read that Paul's playing at least one gig in the US this year, watch this space!!! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jan 23 2007, 04:56 PM)
Everybody will vote for The Beatles because they're The Beatles, but I'm going with Genesis. 1022.gif

Exactly Friend! I'm with you! trink39.gif

If we are discussing strictly 'impact' on the music scene, then everyone could make several arguements for The Beatles, Queen, Led Zeppelin, The Who, and so forth.

You look at this list...and it's incredible. So many amazing bands came from the UK over the years, and there are still many great ones missing!

But...I'm going with one of my all-time favourite Prog-Rock bands:

GENESIS!!

PS. Listen to 'HOME BY THE SEA'...incredible epic, and one of the greatest songs ever written!

QUOTE (Huck @ Jan 26 2007, 11:22 AM)
...anyway...

Thanks!

Following his award at the Brits I read that Paul's playing at least one gig in the US this year, watch this space!!! biggrin.gif

he's playing or has played a career retrospective in New York City....

Saw him twice on Illumination tour and once solo acoustic....

QUOTE (Skirmshander @ Jan 26 2007, 03:35 PM)
QUOTE (Huck @ Jan 26 2007, 11:22 AM)
...anyway...

Thanks!

he's playing or has played a career retrospective in New York City....

Saw him twice on Illumination tour and once solo acoustic....

Yeah I think that might have been it.

The Illumination album was not one of his best, "As Is Now" though is a very good album, a lot rawer and more up tempo. The retrospective tour was excellent with a good mixture of Jam and solo stuff.

Here's some pics my wife took at the gig...

http://usera.imagecave.com/Ignacious/weller7.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/Ignacious/Weller1.jpg

I think the strawbs should at least be mentioned, they had as many different members as YES one time or another..... ( including Rick Wakeman was a strawb!) smile.gif

And Sandy Denny of Fairport Convention was a strawb. The strawbs a prog/glam band other times folk wacko.gif laugh.gif Very good probably not great. But always interesting with skilled musicians and song writers.

Edited by softfilter

Ignoring the Beatles, as they're in a category they only fit themselves, it's nearly a tie between The Who and Deep Purple ...

... with the Who winning, as Moonie beats Paice (slightly), Daltrey beats Gillan (still by a slim margin, with both miles ahead of Plant), "Who's Next" beats "In Rock" (quite clearly), and Townshend beats Blackmore (by light years).

Whereas - "Rapture of the Deep" is far more agreeable and modern than last year's Townshend and Daltrey retirement home studio release.

The greatest was probably the Beatles, but if we're picking favorites I'd say either Led Zeppelin or the Who.

Townshend beats Blackmore (by light years).

As a songwriter, composer, and visionary... yes. But as a guitarist, Blackmore's got him beat. Townshend was essentially a rhythm guitarist; not much of a lead player, and certainly no wizard.

BTW, I'm presently reading a Townshend biography, "Behind Blue Eyes."

QUOTE (barchetta90480 @ Feb 4 2007, 12:12 PM)
Whereas - "Rapture of the Deep" is far more agreeable and modern than last year's Townshend and Daltrey retirement home studio release.

Yeah I like that album, all the Morse-Purple albums are good...

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 4 2007, 07:44 PM)
Townshend beats Blackmore (by light years).

As a songwriter, composer, and visionary... yes. But as a guitarist, Blackmore's got him beat. Townshend was essentially a rhythm guitarist; not much of a lead player, and certainly no wizard.

BTW, I'm presently reading a Townshend biography, "Behind Blue Eyes."

A pretty good biography, as I recall ...

Still, I even think Townshend was a "wizard" superior to many, including Blackmore (yet not Morse or Clapton). Some sounds on Live At Leeds or other live recordings are simply amazing and technically high class.