Wayne's World

mortkort

Meh.

It was fun at the time. There are a few references that not everyone is going to get. The cop at Stan Mikita's Donut Shop was Officer Koharski. That had something do do with NHL referee Don Koharski, but I forget what that was about. Maybe a hockey fan can refresh me on that one.

I watched some of it awhile back on cable, and it seemed a bit dated. And I was in college at the time, so that has something to do with it as well.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jan 8 2007, 10:23 PM)
It was fun at the time.  There are a few references that not everyone is going to get.  The cop at Stan Mikita's Donut Shop was Officer Koharski.  That had something do do with NHL referee Don Koharski, but I forget what that was about.  Maybe a hockey fan can refresh me on that one. 

I watched some of it awhile back on cable, and it seemed a bit dated.  And I was in college at the time, so that has something to do with it as well.

That would be the infamous Jim Schonfield incident in the 1988 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Schonfield was coach of the Devils at the time....After a game Schonfield confronted Koharksi about his refereeing in the game. Told him to "have another donut" and called him a fat pig. All on camera...

From wikipedia...

Schoenfeld is remembered for an incident with NHL referee Don Koharski, during the 1988 Stanley Cup Playoffs after his New Jersey Devils lost 6-1 to the Boston Bruins, when he verbally abused Koharski and told him to "have another donut, you fat pig!" This triggered a walkout by officials when Schoenfeld initially went unpunished by the league. Schoenfeld was later suspended and the officials returned to work.

This incident was parodied later in the movie Wayne's World, when a rather large and apathetic police officer named Officer Koharski hung out at the counter of Stan Mikita's Doughnut Shop. The movie used Stan Mikita's as the name of a doughnut shop, as a parody reference to the Canadian chain Tim Hortons. Coincidentally, during the final part of his career, Tim Horton teamed on defense with a young Jim Schoenfeld with the Buffalo Sabres.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Schoenfeld

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

I actually watched this for the first time a few nights ago... Yes, it's very dated. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I saw it when it first came out. Over all, it was pretty lame.. Just a couple of really funny parts... I like the scene in the car at the beginning when he puts in "Bohemian Rhapsody".. and the monkeys flying out of my ass ... Other than that it was lame.