Anyone had a problem

D-13

I sold my guitar this morning. It's the Ibanez GSA 20. It was my first guitar. This may sound dumb but the smell from the guitar case (I think it was the guitar polish I used) brings back memories! I hate this! sad.gif. She's gonna come and pick it up in about 20 mins. I don't think I can even let it go! But it just sits in the basement and collects dust. I think it's because it was my first guitar that I learned on...so it's hard to detach.

Anyone else have/had this problem?

I'm playing the hell out of it right now. This is just so damn sad! sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

the one in the back http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/snowraider_13/guitarsA.jpg

sad.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/snowraider_13/eletric.jpg

sad.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/snowraider_13/Random%20pics/100_18349.jpg

sad.gif

QUOTE (Riv @ Jan 6 2007, 05:29 PM)
I never sell anything. Hang it on the wall or something!

Can't! it's already in the hands of my friend. oh well. It was good times. Time to make good times on my new one smile.gif

I sold my first good electric -- an Ibanez Artist -- and I'd buy it back in a heartbeat.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/Guitars/oldguitars.jpg

That's it on the left. On the right is an old Fender Mustang, which I still have...but it's disassembled at the moment.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 6 2007, 05:56 PM)
I sold my first good electric -- an Ibanez Artist -- and I'd buy it back in a heartbeat.

That's it on the left. On the right is an old Fender Mustang, which I still have...but it's disassembled at the moment.

oh man. I feel your pain!

Nice guitars!

I sold the first guitar I ever bought with my own money, a 1970 SG. I sold it to my bass player to buy a Strat under the condition he only sell it back to me. After a couple years he sold it to our guitar player during one of our break ups. The guitar player traded it for a Jazzmaster. B@stard! In truth the SG wasn't all that great but I would buy it back if I could find it.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 6 2007, 07:16 PM)
I sold my guitar this morning. It's the Ibanez GSA 20. It was my first guitar. This may sound dumb but the smell from the guitar case (I think it was the guitar polish I used) brings back memories! I hate this! sad.gif. She's gonna come and pick it up in about 20 mins. I don't think I can even let it go! But it just sits in the basement and collects dust. I think it's because it was my first guitar that I learned on...so it's hard to detach.

I'm playing the hell out of it right now. This is just so damn sad! sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

I know exaclty how you feel. I once tried to sell my first guitar (an old El Degas) and couldn't even get $100 for it, so I ended up keeping it. Back then, $100 was worth more than the sentimental value, but not anymore, and I am glad to still have it. I also still rememeber the exact smell of the case after 25 years, and it still brings back memories when I open a case that smells like that...

I rarely sell any used gear unless a) I can get good money for it cool.gif it has no sentimental value and c) I could easily find a replacement. I kick myself when I see the price that old gear I sold long ago can fetch nowadays.

You might want to mention to your friend that if she ever sells that guitar, you want first dibs, in case you change your mind...

QUOTE (mortkort @ Jan 7 2007, 02:36 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 7 2007, 10:33 PM)
I got it back smile.gif

ohmy.gif applaudit.gif didn't she like the guitar or what was it?

I made an excuse rofl3.gif

I was looking at a guitar shop and I saw the same guitar for $240...she paid me $200 for guitar/case/cord/amp/strap....and my guitar is 8 years old. I said to her....that maybe she was better off getting a brand new one...that is the exact same model. And that I had second thoughts about it. She said ok. I told her she could keep the amp for all the trouble. 20 mins i'm going to the shop with her to pick out the new one.

NEVER sell your first guitar folks!

I didn't sleep last night because of it laugh.gif

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 7 2007, 10:39 PM)
I got it back smile.gif

I was looking at a guitar shop and I saw the same guitar for $240...she paid me $200 for guitar/case/cord/amp/strap....and my guitar is 8 years old. I said to her....that maybe she was better off getting a brand new one...that is the exact same model. And that I had second thoughts about it. She said ok. I told her she could keep the amp for all the trouble. 20 mins i'm going to the shop with her to pick out the new one.

rofl3.gif Good to hear it your getting a same guitar though, does it work out for you?

QUOTE (mortkort @ Jan 7 2007, 02:49 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 7 2007, 10:39 PM)
I got it back smile.gif

rofl3.gif Good to hear it your getting a same guitar though, does it work out for you?

no my friend got the same guitar...but newer.

I have my old one. smile.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 6 2007, 08:56 PM)

My first guitar was an Ibanez Artist 1983. I sold it when I discovered that I was a much better drummer than I was a guitarist.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/Ibanez_Artist_1983.jpg

I'd buy it back, but not to play, more for sentimental reasons. I'd wind up hanging it on the wall, like Riv said.

I was thinking of getting rid of my first guitar, its a Spirit by Oscar Schmidt, and when i had it overhauled over the summer, i found out alot about it. Its a discontinued model form 1997 and that model was made for two years, and was the only Spirit Les Paul model, that was acutally a full solid body. most of the Les Paul copys were hollow bodys, with a top on it, and this guitar is very rare, i sent picture to washburn and thats when i found out some history on it. now it plays like a dream, it has a execlent neck, and i could NEVER get rid of it!!!!

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jan 7 2007, 02:19 AM)
I sold the first guitar I ever bought with my own money, a 1970 SG. I sold it to my bass player to buy a Strat under the condition he only sell it back to me. After a couple years he sold it to our guitar player during one of our break ups. The guitar player traded it for a Jazzmaster. B@stard! In truth the SG wasn't all that great but I would buy it back if I could find it.

That story sounds all too familiar Cyg.

I've owned a '72 Tele, '72 Strat, and a #000062 Eric Clapton Signature Strat. All of which were traded in the past 5 years under the condition that "I would have the first choice to buy them back". Wrong, they are all gone now! (just so everyone understands....a '72 great condition strat goes for around $15,000) It's fine though, I have some amazing equipment now that is worth every dollar, plus a bunch. cool.gif

Anyhow D, it's hard to part with instruments and gear. If it's something you foresee yourself using forever, then never get rid of it! wink.gif I know, it's always a tough call, especially when the item is work lots of cash.

Edited by launchpad67a

I used to own an Ibanez 6/12 Double Neck. It was white. It was a complete rip-off of the Gibson SG style double neck.

From 15 feet away you couldn't really tell the difference. I sold it to buy a surfboard. (What a douche!) I surfed for two summers before I grew tired of it. I sorta wish I still had that double neck. If not to play, then just to have. It always drew attention when I used it. Double necks are simply cool looking!

If you're wondering whether or not I played Xanadu on it, the answer is of course! I believe it was the first song I played when I first picked it up.

However, I now have a PRS McCarty Hollowbody that I would love to get rid of. I don't play it enough to justify owning it. It's such a beautiful guitar, it doesn't deserve the complete lack of play that it gets from me. All of my guits just sit in their cases, in the corner anymore. My guitar playing is only worth the $300 Mexican Strat that I leave out, to fart around on once in a blue moon. eyesre4.gif b_sigh.gif

I've had nearly 50 guitars since I started playing and I don't get too attached anymore.

The only one I wish I could have back was a 1963 Strat that I bought for $200 in 1974. That thing is worth at least $20K now.

I sold my first electric guitar, a Gibson Sonex, 18 years ago. I got it for Christmas when I was 13 years old. Though it did have some sentimental value, I hated playing it. It was so heavy my neck and back would start to hurt after only a half hour of playing. If I rested it on my leg, it would go numb. The intonation was really off too. I tried to have it fixed but it didn't work. Even as a kid that nearly drove me crazy. It never ever sounded in tune.

I sometimes think back to those times in my bedroom working out songs like Freewill, Passage to Bangkok, La Villa Strangiato, Broon's Bane, YYZ... I might miss those times but I don't miss the guitar.

ive traded 2 guitars. my first and second. first one was a no name but it was a cool sunbirst color. terrible sound and tuning. traded the first one for the second; a cheap fender. white. blah. traded that many years ago for the fender i have now. ive also bought a ibanez ex370 from a pawn shop for $100 with a hard case. never sell those 2. wrote a lot of music on them.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 6 2007, 07:16 PM)

I can understand. My first guitar was a Gibson Epiphone acoustic, still have it, it's all beat up, but its the only steel-string acoustic I have. I don't think I could ever get rid of it. smile.gif