• Holidays in Eden
    • Brave
    • Afraid of Sunlight
    • This Strange Engine
    • Radiation
    • marillion.com
    • Anoraknophobia
    • Marbles

Yep, Fish's first solo album was pretty good, but it's the only one I enjoyed.

Kudzu, I'm glad you are enjoying your Marillion journey. I also really love Anaraknaphobia (or however you spell it).. That album really grows on you and gets better and better over time.

New album out in April!!!!

QUOTE (wide angle watcher @ Feb 2 2007, 08:19 AM)
What ever happened to Fish? Is he still churning it out or has he gone back to plain old Derek Dick? sarcasm.gif

My Webpage

He still exists. Check out the link. It has some mp3's from his first album after the split with Marillion: Vigil in a wilderness of mirrors.

It is pretty GooD!

Gotta bring this back now that I have the whole studio discography.

I voted for Clutching at Straws, but I gotta say...I spin Brave at least as often, and Marbles is seriously excellent stuff. Ultimately, it came down to the fact that Clutching at Straws is positively brilliant all the way through (with the possible exceptions of "Going Under" and "Torch Song", neither of which are terribly dreadful or humiliating and the former of which isn't very long anyway), while Brave and Marbles have some weaker tracks ("Hard as Love" and "Paper Lies" on the former and the "Marbles" set of songs and "Angelina" on the latter) that actually detract from the atmosphere of the pieces as whole entities.

I'd rank them all as follows:

1. Clutching at Straws

2. Brave

3. Marbles

4. Misplaced Childhood

5. Anoraknophobia

6. Script for a Jester's Tear

7. Afraid of Sunlight

8. Fugazi

9. Seasons End

10. Holidays in Eden

11. marillion.com

12. This Strange Engine

13. Radiation

All of them have highly worthwhile tracks. I'm listening to "A Few Words for the Dead" (from Radiation) right now, and it's a stupendous song. I would definitely recommend the entire discography. And I think that the best way to experience it is the way that I (mostly) did: in chronological order. Get the Fish stuff first, then move on to the Hogarth stuff using Seasons End to transition into it.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Mar 22 2007, 06:50 AM)
I voted for Clutching at Straws, but I gotta say...I spin Brave at least as often, and Marbles is seriously excellent stuff. Ultimately, it came down to the fact that Clutching at Straws is positively brilliant all the way through (with the possible exceptions of "Going Under" and "Torch Song", neither of which are terribly dreadful or humiliating and the former of which isn't very long anyway), while Brave and Marbles have some weaker tracks ("Hard as Love" and "Paper Lies" on the former and the "Marbles" set of songs and "Angelina" on the latter) that actually detract from the atmosphere of the pieces as whole entities.

Wow, harsh words on Angelina. I find that one of the most atmospheric songs on Marbles, whereas Drilling Holes and The Only Unforgiveable Thing detract from it, for me. I do agree with you about Hard As Love and Paper Lies, though.

Torch Song - one of my favourite Fish-era songs. Magnificent live. We burn a little brighter now... yes.gif

I'll have to say that I'm another Fish era fan and have loved ever since my brother got hold of the Market Square Heroes ep.

For some reason, with the exception of a few flashes, the H material has not managed to grip me (Brave being the best of the H albums). Someone let me have a copy of Marbles but I just can't get into it.

So, to my favourite - Script.

While other albums may have been better performed (let's face it, Mick Pointer was no great shakes as a drummer), better produced (Chris Kimsey's production on MC is so lush), better written (the immediacy of CAS is gripping), Script edges it due to beautiful fragility of they way they sound. Never again did they manage to tug at the heartstrings with such delicacy.

QUOTE (willowroolz @ Mar 22 2007, 11:45 AM)
...whereas Drilling Holes and The Only Unforgiveable Thing detract from [Marbles], for me.

Hello slaine, always good to see you here!

Willow, I'm very new to Marillion and basically only know the Marbles album, so who am I to comment about them to you buuuuuuuuut 'The Only Unforgivable Thing' is a massive, emotioanly charged tune. I'm not sure what it's about (as I've not read the lyrics) but to me it sounds like it's about the guilt and regret of sexual betrayal in a relationship, a guilt that semes to be stalking him around the house.

I love the the widescreen cinematic feel of some of the Marbles material, and this, for me, is a great example of it. The title itself, for me, is so powerful.

Disco

QUOTE (Disco @ Mar 31 2007, 08:08 AM)
QUOTE (willowroolz @ Mar 22 2007, 11:45 AM)
...whereas Drilling Holes and The Only Unforgiveable Thing detract from [Marbles], for me.

Hello slaine, always good to see you here!

Willow, I'm very new to Marillion and basically only know the Marbles album, so who am I to comment about them to you buuuuuuuuut 'The Only Unforgivable Thing' is a massive, emotioanly charged tune. I'm not sure what it's about (as I've not read the lyrics) but to me it sounds like it's about the guilt and regret of sexual betrayal in a relationship, a guilt that semes to be stalking him around the house.

I love the the widescreen cinematic feel of some of the Marbles material, and this, for me, is a great example of it. The title itself, for me, is so powerful.

Disco

Marbles is unbelievable. I'm listening to it right now, in fact.

Get their other albums ASAP. Prioritize Anoraknophobia, Afraid of Sunlight, and especially Brave, Clutching at Straws, and Misplaced Childhood. You won't regret it. I'm more than a little shocked that it's taken me this long to discover a band this incredible.

Marbles was my first. I have Misplaced Childhood and have tried to listen to it many times but I just can't get into it and i don't know why...

Clutching At Straws. With Misplaced, Brave and This Strange Engine taking the minor placings.

Fish's lyrics are so good.

"I saw teenage girls like gaudy moths

A classrooms shabby butterflies

Flirt in the glow of stranded telephone boxes."

The Ramones, it ain't.

QUOTE (theanalogkid @ Oct 12 2007, 03:10 PM)
I was actually listening to Brave this morning. That is the only album I have though.

Recommend any good follow ups to Brave?

Marbles. The 2-CD version, from the Marillion official webstore.

Edited by Kudzu

QUOTE (theanalogkid @ Oct 12 2007, 06:10 PM)
I was actually listening to Brave this morning. That is the only album I have though.

Recommend any good follow ups to Brave?

Marbles and the first 4 albums with Fish. Those albums have a different sound, but are my favourite ones.

I can't decide between Clutching At Straws and Misplaced Childhood and when I think about it perhaps even Script For A Jester's Tear too. wacko.gif

The date I saw Rush in Sheffield this year was the same date Fish played his solo gig in our city... Which meant I was torn between the two. Obviously I went with Rush but I'm sure Fish could've chosen a better date so I could've attended both! sad.gif

I went for 'Fugazi',mostly because it was the first Marillion album I bought and the one that introduced me to them.I like all the album with 'Fish'.

I like.....Season's End,Holidays In Eden,Afraid Of Sunlight and This Strange Engine with 'Hogarth'. smile.gif

To me, Marillion died as a band when Fish left...Fish IS Marillion! I have seen Marillion live once with the new singer, and it was awful..not same kind of music anymore.

I have seen Fish solo live twice, and that was just great! :) He is the best!

And my favorite Marillion album is: Script For A Jesters Tear, Fugazi, Misplaced Childhood and Clutching At Straws. All Marillion albums with Fish is just great!

• Like 2