• Afraid of Sunlight
    • This Strange Engine
    • Radiation
    • marillion.com
    • Anoraknophobia
    • Marbles

KUDZU!

Great poll!

Marillion is like my third favorite band on the planet.

I had to go with "Clutching At Straws." "That Time Of The Night!"

I love the FISH years but I love the Hogarth years as well.

My buddy's band opened for Marillion once. Ever here of the prog band ENCHANT?

Anyway I got to meet Steve Rothery. One of the most underrated guitar players on the planet. Vey nice guy too.

I also got to hang out with FISH after one of his solo tours.

The big funny drunk is a hoot. That's why Derek has that nickname. Becauase "He drinks like a FISH!"

"Misplaced Childhood" is great too. Well shoot man, just see my "perfect album" list.

"Fugazi" is the only one that lacks something. Not enough "punch, punch" I guess for Judy.

I have said it on here before and I will say it again!

MARILLION RULES!!!!!

Ian Mosley is an underrated drummer too.

FISH ON!

Earl

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 18 2007, 09:37 PM)
KUDZU!

Great poll!

I had to go with "Clutching At Straws." "That Time Of The Night!"

My buddy's band opened for Marillion once. Ever here of the prog band ENCHANT?

Anyway I got to meet Steve Rothery. One of the most underrated guitar players on the planet. Vey nice guy too.

The big funny drunk is a hoot. That's why Derek has that nickname. Becauase "He drinks like a FISH!"

"Misplaced Childhood" is great too. Well shoot man, just see my "perfect album" list.

"Fugazi" is the only one that lacks something. Not enough "punch, punch" I guess for Judy.

MARILLION RULES!!!!!

FISH ON!

Earl

Hey, you know the dudes in Enchant! smile.gif I have their 4 last CD's! It's almost 4 years since their last album, what are they up to nowadays?

QUOTE (Midway Hawker @ Jan 9 2007, 05:04 AM)
I believe if you buy any of their older albums from the band's website, you'll get a 2 CD remastered addition where the 2nd CD is full of extras.  They run about 10 pounds each, I think that is like $16-18..    Order multiple items and save on shipping!!

Yes, you're spot on smile.gif

Been a fan since '84, seen them over 30 times, great band. I love both the Fish and H eras. Brave is my favourite album of theirs, fantastically atmospheric. Take the advice in the CD booklet, turn the lights off and play it loud! The Opium Den will carry you away, The Great Escape will break your heart. I think it's H's best vocal performance, although Marbles (another superb album) pushes it close and is my second favourite.

If you get Marbles make sure you get the 2 CD version otherwise you'll miss out on the amazing Ocean Cloud!

biggrin.gif

Script was the best for me, though the ep which preceded it was great (the one with "Grendel" on it)

I kind of lost interest after Fish left, so don't really know too much about the Hogarth era.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 8 2007, 07:43 PM)
I never liked the band and I can't stand his voice...

So I take it you don't like Peter Gabriel as well, because to me they sound pretty similar....

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jan 19 2007, 02:35 AM)
Script was the best for me, though the ep which preceded it was great (the one with "Grendel" on it)
I kind of lost interest after Fish left, so don't really know too much about the Hogarth era.

Yeah, get Brave.

I'm listening through Afraid of Sunlight for the first time right now (I'm partway through "Afraid of Sunrise") and I haven't really been blown away so far. "Gazpacho" and "Beautiful" are pretty good; "Cannibal Surf Babe" is rather embarrassing; "Afraid of Sunrise" is kind of down-tempo filler.

QUOTE (Snowman @ Jan 19 2007, 12:13 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 18 2007, 09:37 PM)
KUDZU!

Great poll!

I had to go with "Clutching At Straws."  "That Time Of The Night!"

My buddy's band opened for Marillion once.  Ever here of the prog band ENCHANT?

Anyway I got to meet Steve Rothery.  One of the most underrated guitar players on the planet.  Vey nice guy too.

The big funny drunk is a hoot.  That's why Derek has that nickname.  Becauase "He drinks like a FISH!"

"Misplaced Childhood" is great too.  Well shoot man, just see my "perfect album" list.

"Fugazi" is the only one that lacks something.  Not enough "punch, punch" I guess for Judy.

MARILLION RULES!!!!!

FISH ON!

Earl

Hey, you know the dudes in Enchant! smile.gif I have their 4 last CD's! It's almost 4 years since their last album, what are they up to nowadays?

Hey Snowman!

Yeah funny thing back in the day, I think it was for the "Presto" Tour I spent the night in line in front of Tower Records.

In front of me was Doug and Paul from Enchant. Well we totally bonded over night and became friends.

Even though Paul left Doug still kept things going by bringing in a new drummer.

I don't know if you have that Enchant live dvd but Wendy and I were there!

It was shot in on the Oakland/Berkeley border.

Right on Snowman! Glad someone on here has heard of them! Excellent Bay Area Prog!

Of course as you know the a lot bigger overseas. They even opened up for Dream Theater!

I wish Paul had stayed in the band.

Anyway Doug and the boys are writing a new record right now.

It seems like it's taking forever!!

Let's hope they get it done!

PROG ON SNOWMAN!

Earl

The ending trio of "Afraid of Sunlight", "Beyond You", and "King", combined with "Gazpacho" and "Beautiful" (and the satisfaction of adding another album to the collection), made Afraid of Sunlight ultimately worth the $7.50 I paid for it. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jan 21 2007, 01:02 AM)
The ending trio of "Afraid of Sunlight", "Beyond You", and "King", combined with "Gazpacho" and "Beautiful" (and the satisfaction of adding another album to the collection), made Afraid of Sunlight ultimately worth the $7.50 I paid for it. biggrin.gif

I like the whole platter, well, maybe except Cannibal Surf Babe.

What do you think of Afraid of Sunrise and Out of this world? I think they might be growers! cool.gif

QUOTE (Snowman @ Jan 21 2007, 02:50 AM)
What do you think of Afraid of Sunrise and Out of this world? I think they might be growers! cool.gif

They don't really seem to change tempo throughout, which (especially on long songs) is usually a downer for me.

QUOTE (Snowman @ Jan 23 2007, 12:11 AM)
QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jan 22 2007, 08:03 PM)
marillion.com just came...wow, did I seriously miss a step here by not getting Radiation first?

I dont have Radiation either. I think it sucks.

I'm planning on getting Radiation (mostly for "A Few Words for the Dead", because I have heard that song and I actually like it a lot), but I skipped to ordering marillion.com and Anoraknophobia first because they looked more interesting.

My verdict on .com...hmm...O.K. That's really all I can say for it. I like "Interior Lulu" probably a bit more than I should for some reason, and "A Legacy", "Deserve", and "Go!" make for a (understated, but) decent opening trio (I've noticed that the opening trio of songs on most Marillion albums tend to be among the best-crafted of the bunch), but "Rich", "Built-In Bastard Radar", and "The House" seem like meandering, pointless filler to me. I haven't yet reached a solid verdict on "Tumble Down the Years", but I expect that while it will grow on me, it won't ever be a big favorite or anything.

My feelings on .com are much like my feelings on This Strange Engine: there are some pretty good moments, but just nothing that spectacular; what the epic pieces, and even some of the shorter songs, suggest is often more interesting than what they actually are, and overall the band just doesn't "rock" enough to hold the casual listener's attention. And that's really why they dropped off the radar (if they were ever on it in the Hogarth era) after Brave until Marbles, I think.

Hopefully, Anoraknophobia will get here summarily. That's really the one I've been waiting to here, due to my existing love for "When I Meet God".

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jan 21 2007, 06:02 AM)
The ending trio of "Afraid of Sunlight", "Beyond You", and "King", combined with "Gazpacho" and "Beautiful" (and the satisfaction of adding another album to the collection), made Afraid of Sunlight ultimately worth the $7.50 I paid for it.  biggrin.gif

I found Afraid of Sunlight to be a real "grower" of an album. Gazpacho, Beautiful, King and the title track all jumped out at me immediately, but I've found Out of This World to be the one that's sneaked up on me over the years, especially after seeing them perform it live, where it climbs onto another level - simply stunning. I even like Cannibal Surf Babe - it's refreshingly quirky on an album that is rather downbeat in general.

This Strange Engine is one I don't particularly like, although Man of a Thousand Faces is great, and the title track has become one of my favourites. Rothers' solo after H sings...

And the sun on the equator

Setting like an ember thrown to deep water

From crimson to black

But coming back

Tomorrow

On the horizon

...is possibly my favourite moment in any Marillion song, but the rest of the album leaves me somewhat cold.

I agree with you about .com. Go and Interior Lulu are the standout tracks by a mile. The rest are average at best, although Deserve and Rich are brilliant live. A Legacy is one that's grown on me over the years. I think this album was an indicator of the band being fed up with their situation at the time, and the policy they adopted with Anoraknophobia, asking the fans to pre-order the album to pay for the studio/marketing costs, was the incentive they needed to move on to better things.

Anoraknophobia is much, much better, imo. Quartz is one of my favourite Marillion tracks, which settles into a slow groove before blasting into a loud, dischordant bridge that leads into that gorgeous melodic section. This Is The 21st Century is also fantastic. The only track that I don't have a lot of time for is If My Heart Were A Ball...

dont listen to them anymore, but i have to say its a toss up between Misplaced and Clutching

They are just so mood melding and epic, is it possible not to listen to the whole thing when you start??

The reissues sounded fantastic, too.

I don't much care for the "Man of a Thousand Faces" lyrics for some reason...the "omnipotent" narrator voice in songs bothers me most of the time. But "This Strange Engine" is awesome.

Still waiting for Anoraknophobia and hoping it will arrive tomorrow. Darn media mail. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

It has to be Misplaced Childhood which I was lucky enough to see Fish perform live all the way through - awesome!!

tongue.gif

Also like the live version of Forgotten Sons.

When Fish left I lost touch with Marillion so can't comment on their post Fish stuff.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jan 30 2007, 03:51 AM)
I got Anoraknophobia.

It possibly surpasses Brave as my favorite H-era album that I've heard yet. There's not a poor track on it, and the first four songs in particular are mindblowingly good.

Glad you're enjoying it new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I am on disc two of "Marbles" right now.

Ah, Neverland... and Ocean Cloud... The Invisible Man... Angelina... Fantastic Place... wub.gif

Thanks, you've just made up my mind what I'm going to listen to on the way home yes.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jan 8 2007, 08:01 PM)
I just got Holidays in Eden. It's showing some major U2 influence, but it's not a bad album. There's just not as much there as in other, more acclaimed Marillion albums.

totally not the right post fish choice, get marbles, brave, or anaracnophobia. yes.gif

QUOTE (GringoBBB @ Jan 31 2007, 11:08 AM)
It has to be Misplaced Childhood which I was lucky enough to see Fish perform live all the way through - awesome!!

tongue.gif

Also like the live version of Forgotten Sons.

When Fish left I lost touch with Marillion so can't comment on their post Fish stuff.

Same as...when Fish left i lost all intrest in em. But the first solo album by Fish was excellent. Think it was called 'Vision in a Wilderness of Mirrors'? unsure.gif