• Holidays in Eden
    • Brave
    • Afraid of Sunlight
    • This Strange Engine
    • Radiation
    • marillion.com
    • Anoraknophobia
    • Marbles

Choose your favorite studio album by Marillion.

I have their first three, and the next four (up to Brave) I have ordered from Amazon. I'm personally going to abstain from voting until I have 'em all, but I wouldn't be able to decide right now anyway. tongue.gif

Clutching at straws, the last one with Fish on vocals. My number 2 is Seasons End, an marvellous album!

I like all but one albums from Marillion, Radiation is the only one I have not quite gotten hang on. I am an equal fan of both Marillion periods.

Have you guys checked out Fish' soloablums? They are quite good.

Misplaced Childhood..My sig........but if Forgotten Sons was on it, it'd be my favourite album of all time. Edited by rickyrob

This is sort of like pick your fav Rush album, they are all great.. Maybe except Radiation and .com

I voted for Clutching at Straws. It was the first Marillion album I ever heard and it's still my favorite.

Put this album on, lower the lights (or turn them off).. Play it loud in headphones. Close your eyes and just listen.. The album has one theme from beginning to end and is very powerful. The guitar solo in Sugar Mice toward the end will move you to tears...

I agree 100% with Ricky - Forgotten Sons is a monumental song, and because of it, I came close to giving the nod to "Script...", but as an album, Fugazi shades it for me.

We've had this conversation before, but I remain a dyed in the wool fan of the Fish era (sorry Tick), as much for the lyrics as the music.

"Son watches father scan obituary columns,

in search of absent school friends".

Brilliant.

Edited by madra sneachta

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Jan 6 2007, 04:41 PM)
I agree 100% with Ricky - Forgotten Sons is a monumental song, and because of it, I came close to giving the nod to "Script...", but as an album, Fugazi shades it for me.

We've had this conversation before, but I remain a dyed in the wool fan of the Fish era (sorry Tick), as much for the lyrics as the music.

"Son watches father scan obituary columns,
in search of absent school friends".

Brilliant.

Fish is probably the great lyricist of all time. Just listen and read along with their first two albums, Script for a Jester's Tear and Fugazi... Probably the most complex, intense lyrics ever penned.

I act the role in classic style of a martyr carved with twisted smile

To bleed the lyric for this song to write the rites to right my wrongs

I'm trying to decide if I feel like paying the extra $10, plus God knows how much else for shipping and handling fees, to order the 2-CD version of Marbles from the band website when I get to that album. I can get a retail version for around $13 total, but the full 2-CD version is $21 before shipping (damn British pounds).

Afraid of Sunlight, Radiation, marillion.com, Anoraknophobia, Marbles, and the band Arena's The Visitor are currently at the top of my to-buy list for music. I wonder how I'll feed myself. tongue.gif

I used to have the first 4 albums that someone gave me on long-term loan, but gave them back many years ago. It was all a bit too wordy for me. Great music, but so lyric-heavy, I could barely lift the albums. eh.gif Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (tangdog @ Jan 8 2007, 01:53 PM)
Misplaced Childhood. Easily my favorite.

I guess I have only listened to the first four discs though. When I heard Fish left, my interest in the group basically disappeared.

You should try to pick them up again. It was not the same Marillion after Fish left, but it is not worse either.

In my opinion, Seasons End, the first with Hogarth, competes with Cluthing at Straws as the best.

Buuutttt, taste is like the butt. It can be divided.

Opinions are only onions anyway. Catch my drift? wacko.gif

Anyway; Seasons End is pure listening heaven!

I`m guilty....I`ve never really listened to Marillion. The only song I`ve really ever heard is,"Kayleigh" I also remember the video when I was a kid on MTV. I do know that the lead singer then, is no longer with them.

Hey...at least I was honest!!

Ya`ll take care

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jan 8 2007, 01:54 AM)
I'm trying to decide if I feel like paying the extra $10, plus God knows how much else for shipping and handling fees, to order the 2-CD version of Marbles from the band website when I get to that album. I can get a retail version for around $13 total, but the full 2-CD version is $21 before shipping (damn British pounds).

Afraid of Sunlight, Radiation, marillion.com, Anoraknophobia, Marbles, and the band Arena's The Visitor are currently at the top of my to-buy list for music. I wonder how I'll feed myself. tongue.gif

I believe if you buy any of their older albums from the band's website, you'll get a 2 CD remastered addition where the 2nd CD is full of extras. They run about 10 pounds each, I think that is like $16-18.. Order multiple items and save on shipping!!

I actually found the 2cd remastered addition of Holidays in Eden at a used record store... Picked it up for $8. The only other remastered version I have is Clutching at Straws, which is really interesting because the extra CD has 5 or 6 demos of songs where Fish is singing different lyrics to the music that ended up on Season's End.. Very cool..

trink38.gif

Seasons End got here today. It's pretty good...I can tell that there are a couple songs that might really grow on me...nothing spectacular on first listen, though.

The climax of "Berlin" is pretty hardcore.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jan 12 2007, 04:57 PM)
Seasons End got here today. It's pretty good...I can tell that there are a couple songs that might really grow on me...nothing spectacular on first listen, though.

The climax of "Berlin" is pretty hardcore.

Berlin is a real treat!

Brave is great. It requires the listener to pay better attention to it than a more immediate album like Misplaced Childhood or Clutching at Straws, but I've noticed that that seems to be typical of h-era Marillion albums. They require somewhat more investment to be really rewarding.

That being said, while Clutching at Straws still rules the roost, Brave has taken over second place from Misplaced Childhood in my ranking.