Most dated Rush album?

Kudzu

Which Rush studio album sounds the most "dated"?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Which Rush studio album sounds the most "dated"?

• Rush
    • Fly by Night
    • Caress of Steel
    • A Farewell to Kings
    • Hemispheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll the Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test for Echo

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Maddy @ Dec 2 2006, 05:46 PM)
I love Power Windows, but it definitely has that "80s" sound - I think it's mostly the keyboards that do it.

Not that "that 80s sound" is necessarily a bad thing, mind you. 653.gif

I agree, only I chose GUP. While PW can occassionally sound like outtakes from "Flashdance," GUP has that heavy 80's influence. You can hear it particularly from Alex, who was toning down a bit. His leads are more often composed of arppegiated sequences, rather than blazing all-out assaults. He also employs a lot more harmonics, leading into many of the leads on PW stylistically. (Big Money leaps to mind.) Neil also began to pull back a bit, being more of a background drummer than usual, perhaps due to the introduction of electronic drums. And finally, Geddy really tones it down on this one. While he doesn't sound anything like Duran Duran on GUP, he certainly seems to be borrowing a bit stylistically from the hybrid 80's rock sound.

Still, all things considered, it's a phenomenal effort considering the pains they took to get it down. I believe Geddy referred to it as the most challenging album they have ever down, barring perhaps Hemispheres.

Rush sounds badly dated when I listen to it these days.

Can't believe people are putting PoW. That record still sounds magnificent to this day.

QUOTE (Maddy @ Dec 2 2006, 05:46 PM)
I love Power Windows, but it definitely has that "80s" sound - I think it's mostly the keyboards that do it.

Not that "that 80s sound" is necessarily a bad thing, mind you. 653.gif

Yeah but the 70s was obviously before the 80s, so how can an album that sounds "80s" sound more dated than an album that sounds 70s?

QUOTE (Roddy @ Dec 2 2006, 07:20 PM)
Rush sounds badly dated when I listen to it these days.
Can't believe people are putting PoW. That record still sounds magnificent to this day.

It does - maybe a better way to put it would be that it sounds - well, the most representative of the time it was made in. At least to me.

Which isn't a bad thing - sort of the way certain styles of jewelry, say, are representative of a certain time (Art Deco being very 1920s-30s, for example) and are considered classic because of it, not despite it.

A clumsy way of saying that something doesn't have to be "timeless" to be classic. Just really good.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Dec 2 2006, 07:54 PM)
How can the answer not be Rush? This album is derivative of early to mid seventies hard rock a la Led Zeppelin and is not at all progressive unlike every other Rush album.

I think the Feedback album sort of made that album cool again for some fans, it's so retro it's hip...

In other words it's probably pushed it up the dated scale a few places...

So that leaves Caress of Steel on the bottom...

2.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Dec 2 2006, 04:54 PM)
How can the answer not be Rush? This album is derivative of early to mid seventies hard rock a la Led Zeppelin and is not at all progressive unlike every other Rush album.

I agree completely. A few good songs, but mostly completely unremarkable mid-70s hard rock. Easily my least-played Rush album.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Dec 2 2006, 08:02 PM)
How can the answer not be Rush?  This album is derivative of early to mid seventies hard rock a la Led Zeppelin and is not at all progressive unlike every other Rush album.

I agree completely. A few good songs, but mostly completely unremarkable mid-70s hard rock. Easily my least-played Rush album.

It's my least played rush album too, but it's not because it's dated more just because I like all the others that much better...

How can the answer not be Rush?  This album is derivative of early to mid seventies hard rock a la Led Zeppelin and is not at all progressive unlike every other Rush album.

To a degree, you're right.

However, if a band put out an album now that sounds like "Rush," I know I would like it. It would seem refreshing these days.

In the 80' the boys were chasing others stylistically. That's why I picked GUP. Yes, they were doing that w/ the first album as well, but the energy level makes up for it.

Now, where's my copy of working man.....

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

I voted for the first album. Lots of their 70's & 80's material sounds dated to me. Its really tough to choose because every Rush album is a reflection of the times in some way. Edited by RyanC

QUOTE (Finbar @ Dec 3 2006, 01:49 AM)
Signals. That album is just lost on me.

I feel very sorry for you.....

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 2 2006, 05:34 PM)

It's my least played rush album too, but it's not because it's dated more just because I like all the others that much better...

I think 2.gif is a seriously underrated Rush album. Far from their worst album and one that's probably in my top 7-8 in terms of play time. It's just a fun, hard-rocking, kick-ass album, at least as far as I'm concerned... unsure.gif