Sean Connery turned down the role of Gandalf?!

Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Nov 29 2006, 08:53 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 29 2006, 06:16 PM)
Sorry Sigs.  I forgot how serious star wars and lord of the rings folk can get about their cult.  laugh.gif

I know Necro meant that as a joke, but it does seem that a lot of scifi/fantasy fans treat it like a religion (don't even get me started on the trekkies).

So in other words; relax. Life's too short to take Necro seriously. laugh.gif

EXACTLY!!!

goodpost.gif

Ummm... wait... that's not exactly

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys aren't getting me at all. I could care less what the topic is. I just don't see why you need to bash and completely decredit something. I used to hate Star Trek (not anymore), but you would never catch me going into a Star Trek thread and post every little reason why I hated the very core of it. I'm not saying to keep your opinion to yourself. I'm just saying take it easy on the bashing, especially if it's not relevant (poor Sean has been forgotton).

Oh, and if you knew me personally you would know and not I am not an obsessed "trekkie" like LOTR fan. I am a big fan but I don't go to conventions and dress like a hobbit laugh.gif The convention I go to is Rushcon 1022.gif

And... Necro I find it ironic that your name is the same as a song that's based on LOTR laugh.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 30 2006, 01:57 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 30 2006, 10:34 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Nov 29 2006, 04:53 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 29 2006, 06:16 PM)
Sorry Sigs.  I forgot how serious star wars and lord of the rings folk can get about their cult.  laugh.gif

I know Necro meant that as a joke, but it does seem that a lot of scifi/fantasy fans treat it like a religion (don't even get me started on the trekkies).

So in other words; relax. Life's too short to take Necro seriously. laugh.gif

I'm pretty devoted to some of my sci-fi/fantasy pursuits like LOTR, Star Wars and Star Trek, but nowhere near as off the wall about it as some. Yes, I have a framed 8X10 photograph of R2-D2 and C3PO in my bathroom, but aside from a couple of nicknacks, that's about it. I don't read the books, I don't attend conventions, I don't think or talk about them at great length, and while I think there are great lessons to be learned about life within them, they're in no way a basis for any religious/spiritual beliefs I have.

I'm not putting down people who do take it farther than I do, just stating that I keep it within limits.

All that said, I'd be the last one to bash Necro for his opinions as I certainly have many of them that have been very unpopular or against the grain. I might not say it quite as aggressively as Necro does wink.gif , but some of my opinions still often are controversial at best. He's free to bash the movies I love, and I'm free to say he's out of his mind for bashing them. It's all good...

I don't understand how stating my opinion in a matter of fact way is "agressive"? confused13.gif Maybe I should start apologizing for how I feel about things so I don't hurt anyone's feelings and everyone will be my friend?

Nah... I think I'll continued BEING ME. Sorry.

NOT!!! no.gif

Anyhoo...

I don't like these two series of movies 1) because they can't hold my attention. Like I said... it takes more than effects and muppets to make a good movie in my mind. There has to be a good story. These two particular franchises have such lame stories that I can't understand their success. 2) and most IMPORTANTLY... the fans (well... the insane fans anyway) of BOTH franchises are the most ignorant people I've ever met. I've been to comic book and sci-fi conventions and these people think they OWN the whole she-bang. They are rude, pushy, AGGRESSIVE, and incredibly snotty about any other work of fiction that isn't associated with Tolkien or Lucas. They drive you crazy and have ruined so many cons that a lot of them have banned any booths associated with either franchise. This never works though, cuz lots of comic companies do adaptations and franchise storylines, so you can't ban a company, so in the end the place still gets overrun by these KINGS of GEEKDOM. THIS IS NOT AN OPINION... THIS IS FACT. Ask anyone who's ever organized a con or even just been to one and they'll tell you that the freakin' Star Wars idiots, screaming like wookies at the tops of their lungs, and the quifs walking around with hairy feet always ruin a cons experience. Even for the normal fan of either of these franchises.

At least the Trek geeks mostly stand around like vulcans showing no emotion and not acting like idiots.

But in the end... NONE of them are as bad as the GAMING GEEKS!!! THOSE are the guys I just want to seriously be AGGRESSIVE with. yes.gif

It's too bad that in my entire post, which was actually me saying that you were free to state your opinions, that the one word you latched onto was "agressively", which I even used with a wink, but since you brought that up, I'll illustrate why I said it.

It wasn't just that you put down LOTR (which incidentally I could care less about you doing, since there are countless millions of fans without you joining in), it was the degree with which you put them down, which perhaps is what Sig was getting at too.

Observe:

"mindless mass hysteria movies"

"i hated reading it"

"i hated seeing it"

"big budgeted bullshit for the masses"

"the mindless installments of such a bullshit story"

"I had to read this crap when I was in school and I HATED it."

"I passed out from boredom."

"It takes a lot more than big special effects and muppets to excite me."

"To me the story was mindless."

"it was mindless drivel."

"LOTR used the same cookie cutter formula that Star Wars has to rape millions of dollars from the "masses". "

You didn't just put this thing down, you skinned it alive. Many of us have a huge amount of love and admiration for these stories and movies.

Again, I don't mind. It's all cool. That's your style. You can express your opinion however you express it in my book and I'm not taking it personally at all. They don't effect my enjoyment of and love for the series.

Maybe according to your standards you were being tame so you don't see it, but from my perspective it was a tad on the aggressive side.

BTW, before anyone busts me, I know I'm being somewhat hypocritical in my statements as I haven't exactly been kind to things I don't like (VT, coutnry music *cough* ), and I express my opinion pretty freely, but this is exactly why I tolerate Necro's opinions as much as I do because really, I'm not one to talk. I don't take his opinions personally, and I hope others don't take mine personally.

I like LOTR in both movie and book form.

Merely like. LOTR had some HUGE problems. The Scouring of the Shire was pretty damn pointless, IMHO.

The movies were cool.

Star Wars 4 through 6 = great acting for a crappy script. If you pay attention to some of the lines in the old series, you just wonder HOW anyone can honestly write that stuff, but the delivery sells it.

1-3 = Slightly debased acting for an AWFUL script. I don't even wanna talk about it tongue.gif

I've never been to a con. The next convention I WANT to go to is Rushcon, and I promise I won't dress up like a Snow Dog.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 30 2006, 09:18 PM)
BTW, before anyone busts me, I know I'm being somewhat hypocritical in my statements as I haven't exactly been kind to things I don't like (VT, coutnry music *cough* ), and I express my opinion pretty freely, but this is exactly why I tolerate Necro's opinions as much as I do because really, I'm not one to talk. I don't take his opinions personally, and I hope others don't take mine personally.

Does this mean i have the goobs seal of approval on my "style"??? bncegrn.gif bncegrn.gif bncegrn.gif

Here's the point. As others have discovered here. I don't have a STYLE. The way I post is ME. I don't curtail it to make anyone happy, and you can quote me till you're blue in the face. I don't care. The discussion is about the movie and not whether or not my posting "style" is aggressive or not. Yeah... my style is aggressive, maybe even acidic when i want it to be. I didn't ask for your approval and you don't need to explain ME to anyone here. K? I'm not out to please EVERYONE when I post. I have a strong opinion on these movies and I stated it. Sigs didn't like it and I replied to him. You took the chance to call me out on my "style" of posting. Again... i don't have a "style", cuz i'm not phoney. What you see is who I am. And I'm a guy who HATES these movies and since the board is a place to freely discuss this, I did.

Excuse me, but i'm gonna go tweak my STYLE so it makes everyone my friend.

no.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 1 2006, 02:39 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 30 2006, 09:18 PM)
BTW, before anyone busts me, I know I'm being somewhat hypocritical in my statements as I haven't exactly been kind to things I don't like (VT, coutnry music *cough* ), and I express my opinion pretty freely, but this is exactly why I tolerate Necro's opinions as much as I do because really, I'm not one to talk.  I don't take his opinions personally, and I hope others don't take mine personally.

Does this mean i have the goobs seal of approval on my "style"??? bncegrn.gif bncegrn.gif bncegrn.gif

Here's the point. As others have discovered here. I don't have a STYLE. The way I post is ME. I don't curtail it to make anyone happy, and you can quote me till you're blue in the face. I don't care. The discussion is about the movie and not whether or not my posting "style" is aggressive or not. Yeah... my style is aggressive, maybe even acidic when i want it to be. I didn't ask for your approval and you don't need to explain ME to anyone here. K? I'm not out to please EVERYONE when I post. I have a strong opinion on these movies and I stated it. Sigs didn't like it and I replied to him. You took the chance to call me out on my "style" of posting. Again... i don't have a "style", cuz i'm not phoney. What you see is who I am. And I'm a guy who HATES these movies and since the board is a place to freely discuss this, I did.

Excuse me, but i'm gonna go tweak my STYLE so it makes everyone my friend.

no.gif

And of course I knew you wouldn't take what I said well.

Then again, that's your STYLE. wink.gif

Call it a non-style if you will, but everyone's got a style. I'm not saying by that you're putting on some kind of show or that you're performing in any way to achieve a desired result or to appear in a certain way. I know that you're naturally being you and not trying to sugarcoat anything to please anyone. That's not your style. tongue.gif

QUOTE (TheMeek @ Nov 30 2006, 07:57 PM)
Sucks to be him, but it's excellent to be us, because Ian McKellen personifies Gandalf like no other.

Indeed.

See Necro.... This is a relevant post.

QUOTE (Signals1982 @ Dec 1 2006, 04:50 AM)
Sucks to be him, but it's excellent to be us, because Ian McKellen personifies Gandalf like no other.

Indeed.

you mean we're going back ON TOPIC now?! ohmy.gif

*woohoo*

i doubt sean connery is sitting there lamenting the loss of the role. he even said "I read the book, I read the script, I saw the movie. I still don't understand it."

his loss.

ian mckellen's gain.

our HUGE gain. yes.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 1 2006, 08:53 AM)
QUOTE (Signals1982 @ Dec 1 2006, 04:50 AM)

Indeed.

you mean we're going back ON TOPIC now?! ohmy.gif

*woohoo*

i doubt sean connery is sitting there lamenting the loss of the role. he even said "I read the book, I read the script, I saw the movie. I still don't understand it."

his loss.

ian mckellen's gain.

our HUGE gain. yes.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

goodpost.gif

I don't see why everyone is all up in arms over what necro said. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" is not for everyone. It takes a significant amount of intelligence, thoughtfullness and sophistication to really understand the books. Just because necro doesn't fall into this catagory, is no reason to slam the dude on these boards.

You people should be ashamed of yourselves.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Dec 2 2006, 10:33 AM)
I don't see why everyone is all up in arms over what necro said. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" is not for everyone. It takes a significant amount of intelligence, thoughtfullness and sophistication to really understand the books. Just because necro doesn't fall into this catagory, is no reason to slam the dude on these boards.

Where did I slam him? I said didn't appreciate his harsh comments. I said nothing bad about him personally.

QUOTE (Signals1982 @ Dec 2 2006, 11:48 AM)
I don't see why everyone is all up in arms over what necro said. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" is not for everyone.  It takes a significant amount of intelligence, thoughtfullness and sophistication to really understand the books. Just because necro doesn't fall into this catagory, is no reason to slam the dude on these boards.

Where did I slam him? I said didn't appreciate his harsh comments. I said nothing bad about him personally.

Ummm Siggy... Pedro's doing the slamming. laugh.gif I gotta admit... the veiled bashing is kinda worthy of applause. applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

I guess I'm just not smart enough to dig the concept of three gay midgets going on a quest to destroy or retrieve some evil ring. laugh.gif

My bad.

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 2 2006, 12:03 PM)
QUOTE (Signals1982 @ Dec 2 2006, 11:48 AM)
I don't see why everyone is all up in arms over what necro said. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" is not for everyone.  It takes a significant amount of intelligence, thoughtfullness and sophistication to really understand the books. Just because necro doesn't fall into this catagory, is no reason to slam the dude on these boards.

Ummm Siggy... Pedro's doing the slamming. laugh.gif I gotta admit... the veiled bashing is kinda worthy of applause. applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

I guess I'm just not smart enough to dig the concept of three gay midgets going on a quest to destroy or retrieve some evil ring. laugh.gif

My bad.

z7shysterical.gif

Hahahah.....

My mistake.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 3 2006, 10:58 AM)
laugh.gif Pedro.

Necro - owned! tongue.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Yeah... the guy posts in my direction once every half year with the same old "necro's stupid" gimmick. Yeah... i was owned. applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

Hope this doesn't deter you from having your "NECRO GOT OWNED" block party. Break out the kegs of soda and the obscure and sucky tunes... cuz NECRO GOT OWNED!!! WOOHOO!!!

Thanks to Pedro OWNING me with that comment, I'm gonna go rent all NINE dvd's of these TIMELESS CLASSICS and view them repeatedly so I can be as intelligent and insightful as YOU must be because YOU get them.

Woohoo... NECRO GOT OWNED!!!

By the way... does anyone on the internet still use that phrase? I wouldn't know... i thought it was lame as hell even when it was popular.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 3 2006, 12:08 PM)
laugh.gif Pedro.

Yeah... the guy posts in my direction once every half year with the same old "necro's stupid" gimmick. Yeah... i was owned. applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

Hope this doesn't deter you from having your "NECRO GOT OWNED" block party. Break out the kegs of soda and the obscure and sucky tunes... cuz NECRO GOT OWNED!!! WOOHOO!!!

Thanks to Pedro OWNING me with that comment, I'm gonna go rent all NINE dvd's of these TIMELESS CLASSICS and view them repeatedly so I can be as intelligent and insightful as YOU must be because YOU get them.

By the way... does anyone on the internet still use that phrase? I wouldn't know... i thought it was lame as hell even when it was popular.

Chin up, Necro. You'll be OK. wink.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 3 2006, 02:25 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 3 2006, 12:08 PM)
laugh.gif Pedro.

Chin up, Necro. You'll be OK. wink.gif

I can't take it anymore Jack. fists crying.gif

First I get picked on for not liking a movie, and goobs and sigs make fun of me... then... snifff... then i'm actually OWNED by PEDRO. Oh GOD... what will I do???

I think you should pull your weight and have them all banned. That'll teach them. yes.gif

sarcasm.gif

biggrin.gif

Oh, yeah! Well I don't need this board! I'll start my own board... with blackjack and hookers. On second thought, forget the blackjack!

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 3 2006, 05:12 PM)
QUOTE (Signals1982 @ Dec 3 2006, 03:16 PM)
Oh, yeah! Well I don't need this board! I'll start my own board... with blackjack and hookers. On second thought, forget the blackjack!

But that sounds like fun. Will I be able to join your board??? confused13.gif

unsure.gif

QUOTE (Signals1982 @ Dec 3 2006, 02:35 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 3 2006, 05:12 PM)
QUOTE (Signals1982 @ Dec 3 2006, 03:16 PM)

But that sounds like fun. Will I be able to join your board??? confused13.gif

unsure.gif

z7shysterical.gif

Sometimes you can't win for trying! tongue.gif