Sean Connery turned down the role of Gandalf?!

Jack Aubrey

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he just didn't want to be a part of one of those big "mindless mass hysteria" movies. Like he said... he just didn't get it. Neither do I. I hated reading it. I hated seeing it. I fell asleep in the second one and refuse to see the third one. It's another Star Wars as far as I'm concerned. Big budgeted bullshit for the masses. Lots of effects and tons of hype with NOTHING as a reward for wasting your time for three hours watching one of the mindless installments of such a bullshit story. yes.gif

Why WOULD he want to be a part of that. He's an accomplished actor. It blew my mind that the actor who DID play Gandoof actually took it.

god i HATE LotR as much as Star Wars. yes.gif

:rantoff:

laugh.gif

"That'sh not what your mother shaid, Shauron!"

"Not a fan of the ladiesh are you, Legolash?"

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Nov 25 2006, 03:41 PM)
Last year Sir Sean explained his decision to turn down the role: "Yeah, well, I never understood it. I read the book, I read the script, I saw the movie. I still don't understand it."

What's not to understand? The total and utter brilliance of one of the best characters of all time in some of the greatest books and movies ever made? Sheesh! fing.gif

With that attitude, he didn't deserve the role. no.gif

No matter, Ian McKellen nailed it. yes.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 25 2006, 03:48 PM)
Maybe he just didn't want to be a part of one of those big "mindless mass hysteria" movies. Like he said... he just didn't get it. Neither do I. I hated reading it. I hated seeing it. I fell asleep in the second one and refuse to see the third one. It's another Star Wars as far as I'm concerned. Big budgeted bullshit for the masses. Lots of effects and tons of hype with NOTHING as a reward for wasting your time for three hours watching one of the mindless installments of such a bullshit story. yes.gif

Why WOULD he want to be a part of that. He's an accomplished actor. It blew my mind that the actor who DID play Gandoof actually took it.

laugh.gif

eh.gif wacko.gif fing.gif bncegrn.gif pokey.gif sarcasm.gif moon.gif bd.gif scared.gif confused13.gif

That pretty much says it all. tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 27 2006, 04:43 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Nov 25 2006, 03:41 PM)
Last year Sir Sean explained his decision to turn down the role: "Yeah, well, I never understood it. I read the book, I read the script, I saw the movie. I still don't understand it."

What's not to understand? The total and utter brilliance of one of the best characters of all time in some of the greatest books and movies ever made? Sheesh! fing.gif

With that attitude, he didn't deserve the role. no.gif

No matter, Ian McKellen nailed it. yes.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 25 2006, 06:48 PM)

laugh.gif

Mindless? JRR Tolkien spent years developing languages, characters, geographies and cultures. Middle Earth has its own history. And the story is rich with great messages of courage and determination. It's cool if you don't like the movies. But please don't call them mindless.

I know nothing of the movie or the book, but like Necro I'm not interested in seeing or reading about it.

Molly Ringwald turned down the role of "Molly" in "Ghost" starring opposite Patrick Swayze. The role was played instead by Demi Moore.

I prefer the books to the movie anyday.

I've guessing that I have read the Hobbit around eight to ten times and have read the entire Lord of The Rings trilogy around five times.

I've never been able to finish The Simarrillion though.

Either actor would of made a good Gandalf in my estimation.

QUOTE (Signals1982 @ Nov 27 2006, 01:03 PM)
Maybe he just didn't want to be a part of one of those big "mindless mass hysteria" movies.  Like he said... he just didn't get it.  Neither do I.  I hated reading it.  I hated seeing it.  I fell asleep in the second one and refuse to see the third one.  It's another Star Wars as far as I'm concerned.  Big budgeted bullshit for the masses.  Lots of effects and tons of hype with NOTHING as a reward for wasting your time for three hours watching one of the mindless installments of such a bullshit story.  yes.gif 

Why WOULD he want to be a part of that.  He's an accomplished actor.  It blew my mind that the actor who DID play Gandoof actually took it. 

god i HATE LotR as much as Star Wars.  yes.gif 

laugh.gif

Mindless? JRR Tolkien spent years developing languages, characters, geographies and cultures. Middle Earth has its own history. And the story is rich with great messages of courage and determination. It's cool if you don't like the movies. But please don't call them mindless.

So? There's a vulcan lanquage out there as well. Lots of creators do this kind of thing. Some do it really well. Some do it boringly and use twice as many words to describe scenes as are needed to give their story more depth, cuz it can't fly on its own. In my opinion... that's what Tolkien did. I had to read this crap when I was in school and I HATED it. As I got deeper into sci-fi and medieval stories, I thought I'd give it another shot. I still hated it.

I saw the trailers for the movie and thought wow... this looks good. Maybe they can take the small amount of coolness from the books and zing it up a bit and it will be cool. I watched the first one until the scene where they scale the mountain and I passed out from boredom. Much like I do whenever I try to give STAR WARS movies a chance.

It takes a lot more than big special effects and muppets to excite me. To me the story was mindless. Despite how much effort Tolkein put into it. Yeah... it taxxed his brain writing it, and it makes some people happy to read it. To me... it was mindless drivel. LOTR used the same cookie cutter formula that Star Wars has to rape millions of dollars from the "masses".

Edited by Necromancer

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 27 2006, 05:45 PM)
Maybe he just didn't want to be a part of one of those big "mindless mass hysteria" movies.  Like he said... he just didn't get it.  Neither do I.  I hated reading it.  I hated seeing it.  I fell asleep in the second one and refuse to see the third one.  It's another Star Wars as far as I'm concerned.  Big budgeted bullshit for the masses.  Lots of effects and tons of hype with NOTHING as a reward for wasting your time for three hours watching one of the mindless installments of such a bullshit story.  yes.gif 

Why WOULD he want to be a part of that.  He's an accomplished actor.  It blew my mind that the actor who DID play Gandoof actually took it. 

laugh.gif

So? There's a vulcan lanquage out there as well. Lots of creators do this kind of thing. Some do it really well. Some do it boringly and use twice as many words to describe scenes as are needed to give their story more depth, cuz it can't fly on its own. In my opinion... that's what Tolkien did. I had to read this crap when I was in school and I HATED it. As I got deeper into sci-fi and medieval stories, I thought I'd give it another shot. I still hated it.

I saw the trailers for the movie and thought wow... this looks good. Maybe they can take the small amount of coolness from the books and zing it up a bit and it will be cool. I watched the first one until the scene where they scale the mountain and I passed out from boredom. Much like I do whenever I try to give STAR WARS movies a chance.

It takes a lot more than big special effects and muppets to excite me. To me the story was mindless. Despite how much effort Tolkein put into it. Yeah... it taxxed his brain writing it, and it makes some people happy to read it. To me... it was mindless drivel. LOTR used the same cookie cutter formula that Star Wars has to rape millions of dollars from the "masses".

Why do you have to piss on something you don't like? There are many people who love these books/movies. If you don't like it, that's cool. But don't treat it like it has no value to others. I happen to love LOTR and Star Wars. Am I one of those mindless millions that have been brainwashed to spend my money to watch these movies? All you have to say is "I don't like these films, I find them boring." Stop insulting them. Do you like it when people insult Rush? I sure don't. I never understand why people have to completely degrade things they don't like. Everyone has different tastes, don't insult their intellegence by calling something they find to be great "mindless."

Edited by Signals1982

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 27 2006, 02:45 PM)

laugh.gif

fing.gif

1287.gif

Seriously though, I think you're nuts, but that's cool. I wish you could see what Robin and I (and the other countless hundreds of millions of people across the world who have been "raped" out of millions of dollars laugh.gif ) see in these works of art. We own the extended editions of all three LOTR movies that I guess I should buy you for Xmas as a cure for insomina. sarcasm.gif tongue.gif

I think they are personally one of the very greatest achievements in film history, not only by bringing an amazing and complex story to life, but doing it with such emotion and believability. The amount of work that went into making these movies look real while staying true to Tolkein's vision (especially if you see the making of bonus features, which you obviously never will) is nothing short of mind-boggling. I'm so grateful to Peter Jackson for having the vision, patience and audacity to take on such a monumental project with such love, devotion and integrity.

And don't even get me started on the brilliance of Star Wars (the first trilogy anyway). I've seen the first Star Wars probably 35-40 times and the 2nd two probably at least a dozen times. I was hardly raped out of my money to see them. Yeah, the second trilogy wasn't anywhere near as good, but it was still fun.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (Signals1982 @ Nov 27 2006, 07:27 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 27 2006, 05:45 PM)

laugh.gif

Why do you have to piss on something you don't like? There are many people who love these books/movies. If you don't like it, that's cool. But don't treat it like it has no value to others. I happen to love LOTR and Star Wars. Am I one of those mindless millions that have been brainwashed to spend my money to watch these movies? All you have to say is "I don't like these films, I find them boring." Stop insulting them. Do you like it when people insult Rush? I sure don't. I never understand why people have to completely degrade things they don't like. Everyone has different tastes, don't insult their intellegence by calling something they find to be great "mindless."

laugh.gif

How long have you known me now? Almost two years right? There's been a poll that answers why I do these things and Hell... it's even in my SIGNATURE...

I'M AN ASSHOLE!!!

Haven't you been informed???

laugh.gif

It's just me giving my opinion against something. I didn't know it was pissing on it. Does that really detract from your enjoyment of it? I mean... seriously, I'm a comic book fan. I'm forty one and I read BATMAN. Do you have any idea how many people rag me for that? I don't get all pissed about it. I just continue to read Batman.

It's a discussion board. Not all opinions will agree. I didn't think that meant I was pissing on someone's fun. Sorry Sigs. I forgot how serious star wars and lord of the rings folk can get about their cult. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 29 2006, 06:16 PM)
Sorry Sigs. I forgot how serious star wars and lord of the rings folk can get about their cult. laugh.gif

I know Necro meant that as a joke, but it does seem that a lot of scifi/fantasy fans treat it like a religion (don't even get me started on the trekkies).

So in other words; relax. Life's too short to take Necro seriously. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Nov 29 2006, 04:53 PM)
Sorry Sigs.  I forgot how serious star wars and lord of the rings folk can get about their cult.  laugh.gif

I know Necro meant that as a joke, but it does seem that a lot of scifi/fantasy fans treat it like a religion (don't even get me started on the trekkies).

I'm pretty devoted to some of my sci-fi/fantasy pursuits like LOTR, Star Wars and Star Trek, but nowhere near as off the wall about it as some. Yes, I have a framed 8X10 photograph of R2-D2 and C3PO in my bathroom, but aside from a couple of nicknacks, that's about it. I don't read the books, I don't attend conventions, I don't think or talk about them at great length, and while I think there are great lessons to be learned about life within them, they're in no way a basis for any religious/spiritual beliefs I have.

I'm not putting down people who do take it farther than I do, just stating that I keep it within limits.

All that said, I'd be the last one to bash Necro for his opinions as I certainly have many of them that have been very unpopular or against the grain. I might not say it quite as aggressively as Necro does wink.gif , but some of my opinions still often are controversial at best. He's free to bash the movies I love, and I'm free to say he's out of his mind for bashing them. It's all good...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 30 2006, 10:34 AM)
Sorry Sigs.  I forgot how serious star wars and lord of the rings folk can get about their cult.  laugh.gif

I'm pretty devoted to some of my sci-fi/fantasy pursuits like LOTR, Star Wars and Star Trek, but nowhere near as off the wall about it as some. Yes, I have a framed 8X10 photograph of R2-D2 and C3PO in my bathroom, but aside from a couple of nicknacks, that's about it. I don't read the books, I don't attend conventions, I don't think or talk about them at great length, and while I think there are great lessons to be learned about life within them, they're in no way a basis for any religious/spiritual beliefs I have.

I'm not putting down people who do take it farther than I do, just stating that I keep it within limits.

All that said, I'd be the last one to bash Necro for his opinions as I certainly have many of them that have been very unpopular or against the grain. I might not say it quite as aggressively as Necro does wink.gif , but some of my opinions still often are controversial at best. He's free to bash the movies I love, and I'm free to say he's out of his mind for bashing them. It's all good...

I'm free to say he's out of his mind for bashing them.

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

I'm glad you keep it within limits. The others that don't, I suppose, tend to give the more casual fans a bad name. Kind of a 'guilt by association' thing. I once watched a documentary called 'Trekkies', trying to get a handle on the whole 'Star Trek' fan thing. A lot of them seemed like decent enough folks, and I like how they are involved in charity work, but there were some in that doc that are in need of serious help.

I like quite a few scifi movies. 'Star Wars', 'The Matrix', 'Dune' (the SciFi Channel's version, not the one by David Lynch-that one left me confused as hell), and I consider 'Blade Runner' to be an absolute classic. But I don't really consider myself a scifi fan because I love other genres a whole lot more.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 30 2006, 10:34 AM)

I don't understand how stating my opinion in a matter of fact way is "agressive"? confused13.gif Maybe I should start apologizing for how I feel about things so I don't hurt anyone's feelings and everyone will be my friend?

Nah... I think I'll continued BEING ME. Sorry.

NOT!!! no.gif

Anyhoo...

I don't like these two series of movies 1) because they can't hold my attention. Like I said... it takes more than effects and muppets to make a good movie in my mind. There has to be a good story. These two particular franchises have such lame stories that I can't understand their success. 2) and most IMPORTANTLY... the fans (well... the insane fans anyway) of BOTH franchises are the most ignorant people I've ever met. I've been to comic book and sci-fi conventions and these people think they OWN the whole she-bang. They are rude, pushy, AGGRESSIVE, and incredibly snotty about any other work of fiction that isn't associated with Tolkien or Lucas. They drive you crazy and have ruined so many cons that a lot of them have banned any booths associated with either franchise. This never works though, cuz lots of comic companies do adaptations and franchise storylines, so you can't ban a company, so in the end the place still gets overrun by these KINGS of GEEKDOM. THIS IS NOT AN OPINION... THIS IS FACT. Ask anyone who's ever organized a con or even just been to one and they'll tell you that the freakin' Star Wars idiots, screaming like wookies at the tops of their lungs, and the quifs walking around with hairy feet always ruin a cons experience. Even for the normal fan of either of these franchises.

At least the Trek geeks mostly stand around like vulcans showing no emotion and not acting like idiots.

But in the end... NONE of them are as bad as the GAMING GEEKS!!! THOSE are the guys I just want to seriously be AGGRESSIVE with. yes.gif