John Carpenter's Halloween

Saint NIck

Hello Everybody!

Being Halloween weekend, I'd like to know what your thoughts are on the horror classic Halloween, and its sequels.

The first film that I saw in the series was Halloween II...and I could hardly sleep that night...the mask, the man...and especially the music. Yeah, I know that sounds weird, but the Halloween music is enough to sometimes freak me out; definitely when I was much younger when these movies came out, and even today. John Carpenter, and his association with Allan Howarth (I think that's him) created masterpiece music forever.

I would eventually get to see the first, and it would become another one of my instant classics; again, John Carpenter brilliant filmmaking...at that time, which has more than stood the test of time...thus, a classic.

Quick little side-story; in '89, I went to see Halloween 5, and was lectured by a family friend/neighbor on why I shouldn't see these films. I stood there, trying hard to hold back my laughter as I listened to her kind-of-born-again-Christian attitude. In other words, I didn't want to hear it; I was 20 at the time, never caused any trouble and had my parents approval of seeing these films.

I have a few of the Halloween series DVD's, and most offer some great bonus features including documentaries that really educate, and helps me most appreciate the works of Carpenter and his friends making classic horror films.

I thank you for your time.

Take care.

I only like the first two myself....definitely some of the most memorable movie music ever! I just couldn't get into the other sequels...Like the Friday the 13th flicks it got a little redundant and cheesy....

MICHAEL SAYS HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

http://upshizzle.com/gallery/albums/uploaded/10.06/halloween_1024.jpg

I have part of "Halloween III" in my sig, as I love the music in that movie. Again, the music is provided by John Carpenter.

But Halloween is definitely a classic and you know that Jamie Lee Curtis has got to follow in her mother's footsteps starring in a movie where some guy comes at her with a butcher knife.

I remember when it came out in theaters in 1978. I remember the trailor on TV showing Michael Myers jumping onto the back of the nurse's car.

On my "The Fog" DVD, John Carpenter said that initially, "Halloween" bombed at the box office, but later, after a review by the Village Voice, it all of a sudden turned into a hit.

Just think, Halloween was in theatres the same time Rush's "new" album "Hemispheres" was released.

It's funny, but I didn't get to see Halloween I until it came on TV around Halloween 1981 when Halloween II was in theaters.

Just watched the original last night with the wife. I recorded it from last week when it was on AMC's "dvd" of the night movie. It had a bunch of facts about the film and the people who made it scrolling across the bottom of the screen. At first I was annoyed, but after a while it was very interesting. What a great moment in movie making.

one of my favorites!!!

i have the halloween theme music as my cell phone ringtone right now!!!

The first Halloween from 1978 is a very good film. I enjoy it a lot. Halloween II is really good too, I like how a lot of it is shot in a hospital. I don't know why, but I really like Halloween III: Season Of The Witch. Michael Myers is not mentioned or seen in this film at all, but it's just a great cheesy film to me. Halloween IV and V are good as well, not as good, but are still spooky nonetheless. I've only seen the first five movies in this series. The first couple of Friday The 13ths were pretty good, but then after a while, especially the ones in the late 80's were REALLY bad and cheesy, you could tell how fake it was. Edited by Rush!

Probably one of the most interesting things about the first two films was the ability of Carpenter to scare the pants off everyone and show some pretty violent deaths without showing a lot of blood and gore. His music definitely did a lot to create the mood. The films are almost Gothic horror.

And of course all fans know that the mask was William Shatner.

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Oct 28 2006, 05:53 PM)
Probably one of the most interesting things about the first two films was the ability of Carpenter to scare the pants off everyone and show some pretty violent deaths without showing a lot of blood and gore. His music definitely did a lot to create the mood. The films are almost Gothic horror.

And of course all fans know that the mask was William Shatner.

Yep. Although, I thought there was gore in Halloween II. I never cared for the hot tub scene. Not a pretty way to go.

I never liked Halloween, it's pretty much the standard teen slasher flick. Donald Pleasance is good value but to be honest not a lot happens for most of the film, then finally you get the "you-think-he's-dead-but-he's-not-now-he-is -no-he's-not-now-he-is" hollywood ending.

The most interesting thing about the film is the fact that the mask they used for Michael Myers was made from a mould of William shatner's face.

A much better John carpenter film is the remake of The Thing which is really suspenseful...

Or if you want to see a really great film like this, watch Hitchcock's Psycho, the original slasher flick...

i really wish i had this entire series, possibly excluding the third one.

i really want to see them all. i love this series.

The original one is a classic. Probably about the best suspense horror of the late seventies-early eighties. when i first saw it, after having seen 4 and 5 first, i was like "what the hell? hardly anybody's dying!" but i've since come to realize how great the suspense and overall filmmaking in this movie is.

the only other two i've seen in this series are 4 and 5, and while i don't quite respect them as excellent films, and they are much cheesier than the original, i still love them just cuz this is an interesting series that's fun to watch.

i really need to see Halloween II and The Curse of Micheal Myers. i would like to see H20 and Resurrection as well but i wouldn't exactly cry if i never get to.

but i would love to have Halloween, Halloween II, Halloween 4, Halloween 5, and Halloween: The Curse of Micheal Myers all on dvd.

have any of you heard about the next Halloween movie going to be made? I think it's actually a remake of the original, as opposed to another sequel! Directed by Rob Zombie too!

I'm excited. I definitely don't expect it to beat the original, and in fact rob zombie might completely ruin it, but we won't know till we see it, and i am very interested to see where ol' Rob'll go with this classic.

The original was great but I felt cheated by the second considering that Michael Myers had been shot several times and fell out of a window. The third had nothing to do with him so I never bothered watching any of the others as it was obvious that nothing or nobody was capable of killing him.

I never understood why both Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees were invincible; they keep coming back to life. Aren't they mortal men? Do you need to kill them with a Kryptonite stake in the heart?

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Nov 2 2006, 07:32 AM)
I never understood why both Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees were invincible; they keep coming back to life. Aren't they mortal men? Do you need to kill them with a Kryptonite stake in the heart?

I think there Demon Spawn or something or other like that???????

But after a few it gets really old.

QUOTE (Batman @ Nov 2 2006, 07:35 AM)
I never understood why both Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees were invincible; they keep coming back to life.  Aren't they mortal men?  Do you need to kill them with a Kryptonite stake in the heart?

They keep coming back to life because the producers are desperate to milk the series till it's bone dry...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 2 2006, 03:15 PM)
QUOTE (Batman @ Nov 2 2006, 07:35 AM)
I never understood why both Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees were invincible; they keep coming back to life.  Aren't they mortal men?  Do you need to kill them with a Kryptonite stake in the heart?

They keep coming back to life because the producers are desperate to milk the series till it's bone dry...

same w/ any horror film though, it should be expected

Speaking of John Carpenter, has anybody here seen In The Mouth of Madness?? Now that will scare the shit out of you yes.gif scared.gif

QUOTE (Cygnalschick @ Nov 2 2006, 08:26 PM)
Speaking of John Carpenter, has anybody here seen In The Mouth of Madness?? Now that will scare the shit out of you yes.gif scared.gif

When was it made?

Hey Nick!

How the heck did I miss this incredible thread??

"Halloween" is the greatest horror movie ever made!!!

I just watched on Halloween night with the wife as we do every year!!

CLASSIC!!

I love John Carpenter too!! A genius for sure!

Poor John had no interest in writing HALLOWEEN II. He once said that the only thing that got him through the writing process was a six pack of beer a night.

I know this will sound strange because I know 99% of all HALLOWEEN fans HATE "HALLOWEEN III SEASON OF THE WITCH."

Well I must confess.

I LOVE THAT SEQUEL!!!!! Far fetched concept? Sure but I love the storyline man. Heck I even love the soundtrack to Part III!!

I liked PART IV and PART V was OK. Then the sequels hit rock bottom for me. "The Curse of Michael Myers" really sucked!

So what's up with Rob Zombie doing the remake to "Halloween" in 2007? Why?? I will see it but come on! How the hell can you remake perfection???

Sincerely,

"Silver Shamrock"

QUOTE (Cygnalschick @ Nov 2 2006, 07:26 PM)

I absolutely love "In The Mouth Of Madness!"

Here is some trivia for STAR WARS FANS!

Did you know that scene in "ITMOM" with the paperboy jamming on his bicycle on that road? That dude is Hayden Christensen as a little kid! Anakin Skywalker!

John has a ton of classic films!

"THE THING"

"CHRISTINE"

"PRINCE OF DARKENESS"

"THEY LIVE"

"ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK"

"ASSUALT ON PRECINCT 13"

"THE FOG"

"VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED"

"VAMPIRES"

and a bunch more!