Geddy's Fender bass tone

treeduck

QUOTE (Fridge @ Oct 16 2006, 05:48 PM)
I don't think it's fair to pick on the crowd in RiR. They were merely doing what crowds do: i.e making a noise and having a good time. I'm also puzzled as to how they could be described as "obnoxious"

Saying that I agree that it is a horrible DVD which i personally find unlistenable. maybe if they hadn't recorded in a burger van outside the venue it might have been a bit better......

Melodic, fwiw, I do agree with some of the things you say, and you are right on the money with regard to how tone etc is arrived at, but try and remember that appreciation is subjective. The Rush "sound" that we all fell in love with owes itself in part to Geddys bass, and I personally love the growling Ricky sound. I don't think it would have been suitable on Pow and HYF, but it is pretty versatile.

Also a little humility might not go amiss. From what I can gather, I don't think I'm quite as good a bass player as you, but I don't think I'm far off either, and some of the things that seem to concern you really do puzzle me. Try and remember that a band is really nothing more than a glorified juke box when all is said and done...Nobody really cares how good your chops are. Most audiences are drunk by 11 o clock anyway and just want to boogie.

Nowadays I play lead guitar in a pub covers band which is immensely enjoyable, and I always think: Why kill yourself learning this intricate song that nobody will dance to when you can knock out a classic three chorder and the place will be jumping?

yes.gif

After trudging through most of this thread, yours is a refreshing viewpoint!

cheer.gif

Hmmm. I can see that Ged's tone is muddy, but if he goes back to the Presto era bass, means Alex has to go there with his guitar sound, and that would just be crap.

If a concert is all seated, i can understand people sitting and appreciating, i did for Tull, but standing, it's hard to just stand there for ages without being retarded.

Edited by Mandalorian Hunter

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Oct 21 2006, 06:01 PM)
Hmmm. I can see that Ged's tone is muddy, but if he goes back to the Presto era bass, means Alex has to go there with his guitar sound, and that would just be crap.

If a concert is all seated, i can understand people sitting and appreciating, i did for Tull, but standing, it's hard to just stand there for ages without being retarded.

I'd like if we would be able to hear what the Presto bass sounded like if we were sitting in the control room of that studio while Geddy was recording because whoever engineered that one really f*cked it up.

His tone was great but for that album and RTB, they rolled off everything under 400mhz it seems. Bass would've been brilliant had it had that God damn low pass filter off (I don't know if that was the case, but it sure did seem like it......and this goes for the drums as well)

The entire album had the low end rolled off.

Give Geddy that tone with some phatness but clean phatness, not garbled up bullshit, and use Alex's tone from say Limelight on R30 and then let them jam. No more of this crap sound he has. As I said and at this point I would give anything to work for free, not to meet Geddy so much, but so that I could hear his tone the way it should be, nice and clean, one last time before he retires at some point I'm guessing in the near few years.

I actually didn't mind his tone on "My Favorite Headache" although I didn't really dig the album but the tone was good.

its a message board, I'm glad you had fun, because its not much of a thing to me. WIth the other days' drama, of course, I'm getting snide shit my way......so I'll treat it as such.

I don't lose my temper here in my house so if you think you've pulled my chain, you wouldn't know as I have a large thresh hold for bullshit

But then again, if you were just messin with me and I am not your friend, then that means you are being a troll, something your people here don't like, so I guess a double standard eh?

QUOTE (melodic777 @ Oct 22 2006, 01:05 AM)
its a message board, I'm glad you had fun, because its not much of a thing to me. WIth the other days' drama, of course, I'm getting snide shit my way......so I'll treat it as such.

I don't lose my temper here in my house so if you think you've pulled my chain, you wouldn't know as I have a large thresh hold for bullshit

But then again, if you were just messin with me and I am not your friend, then that means you are being a troll, something your people here don't like, so I guess a double standard eh?

Uh...sounds like this goes way beyond my posts. I can assure you it was nothing personal, just - as you say - a message board. No need to get nasty.

(looks like I'm drinking alone?)

trink38.gif

just think of Xanadu, and Hemispheres (a lot of them in that song during the main theme of Prelude), Red Barchetta when the guitar solo ends and he does a fill with the drums going into the last verse. Man there's a lot of examples. I love his playing though because even though it is scaler most of the time, he throws in dotted notes and rests to take away the same of 16th note "one e and a" fills as well as the quarter note ascends and descends.

:smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

Are you trying to prove to Animate that looks aren't everything? :LOL:

Look I'M the pretty boy here thank you! :coy: :smoke: :yes: :hi: :nya nya: :madra: :cheerleader:

• Like 1

Look I'M the pretty boy here thank you! :coy: :smoke: :yes: :hi: :nya nya: :madra: :cheerleader:

You'll get no argument about that from me, hot stuff! :cool:

You'll get no argument about that from me, hot stuff! :cool:

:joker:

Well, based on the evidence presented here, you are either a chick or a pink dude wearing a KFC bucket on your head..... so :no:

Well, based on the evidence presented here, you are either a chick or a pink dude wearing a KFC bucket on your head..... so :no:

That's hot what you tallking about!?? :angel: :hi:

That's hot what you tallking about!?? :angel: :hi:

:LOL: :hi: :guitar: :smoke: :yes: :D-13: :hail:

And just to contribute to the thread, Geddy's bass tone on MP is immaculate.