Stephen King fest

treeduck

I'm really enjoying Under the Dome. Like, a LOT.

His style seems a bit different...this book has a Koontz-ish feel to it.

Oh, the blasphemy! tongue.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Feb 5 2010, 03:59 PM)
I'm really enjoying Under the Dome. Like, a LOT.

shhhh don't tell me too much GG, I've not read it yet...

I'm still reading The Waste Lands in what must be the slowest reading session ever, I just can't seem to get to it. I'm reading it in tiny bits, like 25 pages at a time then I don't see it for two days. It seems to be the weakest of the first four Dark Tower books, I've yet to read the final three volumes...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 5 2010, 03:38 PM)
I'm really enjoying Under the Dome.  Like, a LOT.

That doesn't really give anything away, Ducky. smile.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Feb 5 2010, 04:47 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 5 2010, 03:38 PM)
I'm really enjoying Under the Dome.  Like, a LOT.

That doesn't really give anything away, Ducky. smile.gif

Aye but my mind will work on any clues scattered about by unsuspecting reading enthusiasts such as yourself, I have to shield it from any information at all to be sure!

ohmy.gif laugh.gif wink.gif

wub.gif hug2.gif

Ok I finally finished The Wastelands and I read the last 150 pages in couple of hours, so I could have read it in two, three or four days if I'd got on with it...

I really like some of the lingo in this book, especially a character called Gasher, very pirate-like. Here's an example...

Let's say I'm talking about GG, since she was just in the thread. In Gasher speak I might say:

"Ahhh GG me dear heart, you're a fierce trim and no mistake, and a real trig cove right up to yer gullywash, but wery, wery pert..."

1287.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 16 2010, 03:41 PM)
QUOTE (KennethRush @ Jan 16 2010, 01:32 PM)
I'm reading Gerald's game, I read the first 170 pages a month back and haven't gotten back into it. I really want to though.

I read Gerald's Game and posted my thought on it in this thread. If you want to boost your interest have a look. Of course it might dash your interest altogether...

biggrin.gif

Meanwhile I've not started the Waste Lands yet...

trink38.gif

Read your review (just got your reply one month later )

It's my first Stephen King book; (watched his movies prior to it) and when I'm reading it I love it, but soon afterward I lose interest because of how slow it is.. I love this book more than any other novel I've read in years though; so if this is an example of one of his bad works - then I understand why he's such a legend.

The other two books of his I own are Pet Sematary and For Past Midnight.

There's a used book store a few blocks away from where I live, I've been considering picking up another book of his since I'm not a big fan of short stories and the concept of Pet Sematary honestly doesn't capture my interest.

Recommendations?

QUOTE (KennethRush @ Feb 8 2010, 05:01 PM)
I'm reading Gerald's game, I read the first 170 pages a month back and haven't gotten back into it. I really want to though.

I read Gerald's Game and posted my thought on it in this thread. If you want to boost your interest have a look. Of course it might dash your interest altogether...

biggrin.gif

trink38.gif

It's my first Stephen King book; (watched his movies prior to it) and when I'm reading it I love it, but soon afterward I lose interest because of how slow it is.. I love this book more than any other novel I've read in years though; so if this is an example of one of his bad works - then I understand why he's such a legend.

There's a used book store a few blocks away from where I live, I've been considering picking up another book of his since I'm not a big fan of short stories and the concept of Pet Sematary honestly doesn't capture my interest.

Recommendations?

I would say The Shining, Salem's Lot, The Dead Zone, IT, The Stand (though these might be a bit long), if you like fantasy, The Talisman and Wizard and Glass, if you like thrillers Needful Things, Misery, Road Works and The Dark Half.

QUOTE (Some Half-Forgotten Stranger @ Feb 8 2010, 07:03 PM)

Years ago I read about that much of it and I put it down as well....never to have read another page of it.

I personally think Gerald's Game is one of his most underrated novels.

I just like the unique plot.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 8 2010, 10:42 PM)
QUOTE (Some Half-Forgotten Stranger @ Feb 8 2010, 07:03 PM)

Years ago I read about that much of it and I put it down as well....never to have read another page of it.

I personally think Gerald's Game is one of his most underrated novels.

I just like the unique plot.

Yeah the setting of the book is great, I was pretty spooked at the part where she sees the dark silhouette of a man in the corner. But I really hate some of the conversations she has with herself. And the flashbacks are pretty irrelevant to how she's going to get herself the hell out of the cuffs!

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 8 2010, 05:20 PM)

biggrin.gif

trink38.gif

Recommendations?

I would say The Shining, Salem's Lot, The Dead Zone, IT, The Stand (though these might be a bit long), if you like fantasy, The Talisman and Wizard and Glass, if you like thrillers Needful Things, Misery, Road Works and The Dark Half.

A couple of my friends said that The Dead Zone is his best book and that I need to read that, so I'm going to have to get around to that one sometime or another..

But I'll take a list with me to the book store, prioritize them by how interesting they sound and get the best one they have! smile.gif

QUOTE (KennethRush @ Feb 9 2010, 05:46 AM)

biggrin.gif

trink38.gif

Recommendations?

A couple of my friends said that The Dead Zone is his best book and that I need to read that, so I'm going to have to get around to that one sometime or another..

But I'll take a list with me to the book store, prioritize them by how interesting they sound and get the best one they have! smile.gif

TD's list is right on.

Definitely start with his early stuff, as I find it easier to read and more pure in that you can almost feel Kings motivation to impress as opposed to just churning out another idea as I found in some of his stuff.

Salem's Lot...can't ever go wrong with the Lot.....unless you've moved there.

Edited by Some Half-Forgotten Stranger

QUOTE (Some Half-Forgotten Stranger @ Feb 9 2010, 04:09 PM)
Congrats on 59 hours!!!! Go for 69, then 79, then 89, then 100....have patience and don't give in EVER 'cuz once you give in it's back to square 1.

Now 66 hours, 25 minutes. wink.gif

I hear ya. "I'll just have one" will turn into me becoming a pack-a-day guy again. I've been there before. It's why the Quitting Community has a phrase: "N.O.P.E. Not one puff, ever!"

I'm a believer in the "streak" theory. I've got a good streak going, and I need to keep it going. Break it now and it's back to Square One, as you said.

I quit a little over 3 years ago, just be patient. You can do it GR!!!!

Thanks, and congratulations to you. I've quit twice before: once for almost five years, another time for nine months. This shit is like heroin, with a relapse rate which is even worse. Can't ever give in, not even once.

QUOTE (KennethRush @ Feb 9 2010, 05:46 AM)

biggrin.gif

trink38.gif

Recommendations?

The Dead Zone is really good, one of King's best, it's kind of psychic thriller with elements of tragic love story, serial killer thriller and political drama.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 11 2009, 01:10 AM)
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/2638/gunslingeriy4.jpg

I said it was all coming back to me but in fact I forgot most of it (again). It's the weakest volume of the series without doubt I'd say (so far), but it's still not a bad little book. I struggled with it early on though, I just couldn't seem to get into it early on and later on too, i kept either dozing off, re-reading the same line over and over or finding my mind wandering. But when I did get going there were several good sequences that were pretty enjoyable, such as the battle in Tull, Roland's coming of age was good, the attack of the slow mutants, the meeting with the man in black and so on. In between though I was getting a little restless.

Once again though this was a King book that turned out to be better than I remembered.

I enjoyed reading the afterword too, where King tells a little of the history of how he came to write the story; he started in 1970, did some more while he had a break from writing Salem's Lot, another section around the time of The Shining, none at all during the time he worked on The Stand and so on. Then he tells of green paper and his wife and on and on...

I wouldn't mind reading some more stuff like that...I wonder...

I experienced the same at the beginning, man. I couldn't get into it, and I couldn't get it. But I'm glad I finished The Gunslinger. King certainly outdid himself.

I've noticed something undeniable; King did his best writing when he was young. Very young. Just look at Rage, and the story Cain Rose Up. Christ...

Anyway, I can't wait for The Drawing of the Three. Hopefully I'll finish the remaining five novels before summer ends. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

http://ebooks-imgs.connect.com/ebooks/product/400/000/000/000/000/045/774/400000000000000045774_s4.jpg

QUOTE (Turn Me On Dead Man @ May 31 2010, 12:35 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 11 2009, 01:10 AM)
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/2638/gunslingeriy4.jpg

I said it was all coming back to me but in fact I forgot most of it (again). It's the weakest volume of the series without doubt I'd say (so far), but it's still not a bad little book. I struggled with it early on though, I just couldn't seem to get into it early on and later on too, i kept either dozing off, re-reading the same line over and over or finding my mind wandering. But when I did get going there were several good sequences that were pretty enjoyable, such as the battle in Tull, Roland's coming of age was good, the attack of the slow mutants, the meeting with the man in black and so on. In between though I was getting a little restless.

Once again though this was a King book that turned out to be better than I remembered.

I enjoyed reading the afterword too, where King tells a little of the history of how he came to write the story; he started in 1970, did some more while he had a break from writing Salem's Lot, another section around the time of The Shining, none at all during the time he worked on The Stand and so on. Then he tells of green paper and his wife and on and on...

I wouldn't mind reading some more stuff like that...I wonder...

I experienced the same at the beginning, man. I couldn't get into it, and I couldn't get it. But I'm glad I finished The Gunslinger. King certainly outdid himself.

I've noticed something undeniable; King did his best writing when he was young. Very young. Just look at Rage, and the story Cain Rose Up. Christ...

Anyway, I can't wait for The Drawing of the Three. Hopefully I'll finish the remaining five novels before summer ends. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

http://ebooks-imgs.connect.com/ebooks/product/400/000/000/000/000/045/774/400000000000000045774_s4.jpg

The first book is so much better when you re-read it after finishing the rest of the series. It is so much more understandable... I can't lie though, it is a slow and tedious opening for those who have yet to finish everything else. I had trouble with it too. This series is one of my all time favorites and it does not fail to disappoint. The character development in these books is phenomenal.